1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Romo stays then Andy Reid should be hired

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by juck, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,014 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    Excellent post. I say bring in Sean Payton and hope Romo doesn't run another coach out of town.
  2. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,048 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Norv back when the Chargers fire him than Reid.
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,872 Messages
    895 Likes Received
    Sean Payton would be my first choice but I'm not convinced he would want to leave the Saints for the Cowboys and be a head coach for a puppeteer like Jerry. Jerry would have to make some concessions to lure a successful coach like Payton to Dallas.
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,838 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Andy Reid getting fired will be the best thing to come out of this season! Philly won't realize how good they had it.
  5. KJJ

10,872 Messages
    895 Likes Received
    I would take Norv as an OC but sure as hell not as a head coach. He's failed with 3 different teams as a head coach how many more failed opportunities is it going to take before people realize he's a good coordinator and not a good head coach?
  6. ufcrules1

7,014 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    If I were Payton I wouldn't come to Dallas either. But money does talk and he has family here. However, if he cared about winning, it would probably be better to stay in New Orleans with an elite QB and stronger culture.

We may be able to get Payton but Jerry won't stay out of his business anyway. I would still prefer Payton over JG, Gruden, Holmgren, Reid, or Norv any day.
  7. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

4,085 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Oh God know. Don't buy the national media hype. Reid was the benefactor of a great defense under Jim Johnson. His game day coaching is terrible and he never got better.

If we're going to switch, give me Jon Gruden.
  8. ufcrules1

7,014 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    Gruden is a jokester.. he would make Dallas more of a circus than it already is.
  9. KJJ

10,872 Messages
    895 Likes Received
    Part of Reid's problem is not having a consistent QB. He came to Philly with McNabb and was successful as long as McNabb was successful. Coaches and QB's are linked when the QB starts to decline it's usually the beginning of the end for the coach.
  10. KJJ

10,872 Messages
    895 Likes Received
    No quality coach will come to Dallas if Jerry doesn't relinquish some control and stay out of the way. Payton sure as hell won't come here after the success he's had in NO to be another Jerry Jones puppet. They'll be plenty of other teams that will pay him and allow him to do his job.
  11. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,001 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    PULEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Red *****' record would be even worse if he didn't have Romo at QB. For all the offensive genius crap that was bestowed on Garrett following the '07 season, he sure seems to be stuck in another era. He NEVER puts Romo in the best spots to utilize his strengths. Romo is very good outside the pocket. Yet, do you ever see Romo run any bootleg type passes. Romo does NOT have a rocket arm. Yet, how often does it seem like the design of every pass play is 15+ yards downfield? Romo would thrive big time under a Payton, Holmgren, Reid, or Gruden. Personally, I say Gruden. He's free of any tug-of-wars with another franchise, and he's only 1 year older than Payton. Plus, his OC is already on this staff. If Gruden and Callahan can make Rich Gannon an All-Pro, me thinks they can do wonders for Tony.
  12. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    He looks like a man who probably should have taken the year off to deal with the tragic loss of his son, to me.

I agree, i think Romo would excel in the WCO and Reid is a master of it. The Eagles team right now has no QB and no OL. Hard to "show" anything when you combine those two problems.
  13. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,001 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Huh? Ask Meshawn how much of a jokester he is.......................him "joking" with players doesn't mean he doesn't get in their hind parts.
  14. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,677 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I agree Red's offense isn't suited to Romo, but not because of Romo as much as the lack of receivers who can run the patterns Red's offense requires. I also don't know how successful Andy's West Coast offense really was, he never won a Super Bowl, and only went once.
  15. KJJ

10,872 Messages
    895 Likes Received
    Payton liked Romo he brought him to the attention of Parcells that's how Romo ended up signing as a free agent with Dallas. Payton also wanted to trade for Romo when he went to NO.
  16. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,718 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    Norv's offense needs a TE like Gates used to be, two big and fast outside WRs, and the ability to run the ball inside. Then again most coaches would love to have the talent to run Coryell's offense IMO. Romo is capable of running that offense.

I'd love to marry that offense with the flexibility to run more horizontal routes as well as I'm sure most coaches would.

Here's what you'd need:

1. QB like Brady or Romo or Fouts
    2. RB that can run inside like Turner or Emmitt
    3. A Kellen Winslow clone-think of a better Gronkowski
    4. A Dez who can run routes; a Miles who can stay healthy; ....think Jefferson, Joiner and Chandler
    5. A Wes Welker clone...someone who can run underneath and intermediate routes including outs and digs
    6. An OL that can afford pass protection long enough for those longer routes to open and be able to run the ball well enough to make play action significant to the D as well as allow running inside effectively
    7. A H/F-back and/or an effective FB who can also catch the ball
    8. RBs who can block and catch the ball...think SFs RBs or better yet Faulk or Muncie
  17. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    This.

Reid hasn't won squat since Johnson passed, and let's not forget he compounded this absence by making an OL coach his new defensive coordinator.

Take a look at the Eagle's drafting the past decade under Reid too. Makes Jerry look good.

I think Reid is a good game planner, but I don't think he brings the other things and more importantly the energy this team needs to turn this around quickly.
  18. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,473 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    Reid is going to take a year off if he is fired.

Why?

Very simple. He has a year remaining on his current deal. That means that the Eagles have to pay him for the 2013 season.

More importantly, that extra year creates a much stronger market for him.
  19. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,473 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    They had a heck of a time finding decent WRs. The current batch is better than any group they had during McNabb's stretch.

In 8 of Reid's 14 years, he had a top 10 scoring offense (and 11th and 12th in two other years). The D was top 10 seven times in that period.

People want to say it was all Johnson but that just isn't right. He had a great DC, that doesn't take away from what he was able to do on offense with limited talent.
  20. ufcrules1

7,014 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    Yeah, I know the history. That is nice and all but he ended up with an elite QB and I'm sure way happier with Brees.