1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Sean Payton comes to Dallas

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CATCH17, Nov 26, 2012.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    Is there any chance we could get the Saints GM as well?

I know he won't have that title here but it's time for Jerry to open up his pocket books and pay a guy like him to accept whatever downgraded title he were to receive to do the GM job here.

It seems like Payton doesn't really want to coach a team without that guy if he were to put the clause in his contract.

The salary cap may hurt Jerry as far as getting players but there is no excuse anymore to not have a top NFL coach with surrounding staff and scouting.

You have tried it your way Jerry and it just doesn't work. Spend the money, win, and you'll get it all back.
  2. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    No. And Payton isn't coming here anyway but if in your fantasy land, we take in the entire Saints front office, then have at it
  3. TVMan

TVMan Active Member

798 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Payton isn't coming here.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    You guys are sure Payton isn't coming here?

If you were him would you want to fly to New Orleans everyday or make just as much money to coach the Cowboys in the town you live in?

I'd like to know that if I had a family emergency that im a quick car ride away.
  5. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,540 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    I would rather coach Drew Brees and not have to work with Jerry Jones
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    I'd rather coach for the biggest sports franchise that is in the town I plan on living in.
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Werder knows Payton 1000x better than anyone here, and he says Payton would love to coach here. He loves the area, he likes Jerry, plus he's going through a divorce and his kids are here. And don't underestimate his desire for recognition in turning this team around.

That doesn't mean it will work out, because odds are still that it probably won't. But don't think he wouldn't want to coach this team.
  8. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,391 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    I don't know why anybody is so sure that Payton would not come here. Fact is, if he had no intention of coming here, he would have re-signed the same contract with the Saints, just not under Mickey Loomis so the contract would not be void.

I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that once the NFL voided the contract and considering the lack of success Garrett is having, he sees coaching the Cowboys a possibility. Of course, it comes down to dollars, but he would be STUPID to not at least wait and see what type of offers he can get. The worst that could happen is that he could get offers that he's not interested in and return to the Saints. The best that could happen is that he could get paid much more to coach in Dallas, where he resides (and is an entirely bigger market, thus more money from endorsements).

I think the only thing holding it up is Jerry and Garrett. I think Jerry may have difficulty justifying the money spent to get Payton and the money he owes Garrett. Although, from the sounds of it, Jerry makes $10 million from stadium Tours in the *offseason* alone. He also got a Super Bowl at the Stadium and probably will get another in the future along with all of the other venture the stadium will bring.

As far as Loomis goes, I always thought he was more of the financial guy and quite frankly, he didn't do jack squat until Payton got there. There's no way Loomis would come here unless he is fired from the Saints.

YR
  9. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,858 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    In order to get Sean Payton, Garrett would have to go and I have news for you guys, Garrett is not going anywhere. He(Garrett),like it our not, will be our head coach next season.
  10. TVMan

TVMan Active Member

798 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Wouldn't this fly in the face of the Rooney rule? The league has already taken money from the Cowboys, how about some draft picks to go along with it?
  11. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    You sure?

When the owner cant name one sign of progress under Jason, it means his *** is certifiably on the hotseat.
  12. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,604 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    You are forgetting that Romo is Paytons friends off the field, Romo is actually Payton's QB he brought in and he and his family LIVE in Dallas. Maybe most importantly, being the HC of the Cowboys is the absolute pinnacle of American sports coaching. That's the top of the coaching mountain.
  13. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,771 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Me thinks Payton would rather coach the team that he has actually won a Super Bowl ring with. Has a Front Office that actually now knows how to pick players. And coach a team that actually has a legit home field advantage because the fans there are ACTUAL fans.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    He's definetely #1 on the list. I like the idea of Holmgren coaching 1 more time to finish Romo's career.

If I had to go the Coordinator route would anyone be against Fangio or Roman from San Fran?

Would it be a better idea just to throw away another year with Garrett and hope someone better is available in 2014?

Our next coach has to be a homerun.
  15. Yakuza Rich

12,391 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    Me thinks that money talks, the rest walks.

How often were we told that Bill Parcells in particular would NEVER come to Dallas and coach for Jerry Jones?

Parcells even wrote about that in his book himself.

And Payton gets along well with Jerry.

And we know that Jerry has regretted that Payton left because he wanted him to be the HC after Parcells left.

For all of the gripes against Jerry, the fact is that comparing the Saints to the Cowboys is like comparing Wal-Mart to Neiman Marcus.

YR
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,144 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    I seem to remember a lot of people saying Parcells wouldn't coach the Cowboys either.
  17. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,168 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    That would be a complete disaster, if that happens, I can see a full scale riot outside of jerry world.
  18. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,604 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    Exactly. If people thought turning around one of the most irrelevant franchises in sports in a small city was big, turning around the Cowboys in Dallas would be all time big.
  19. Yakuza Rich

12,391 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    The Rooney Rule states that you must interview a minority candidate first. All that really happens is that a minority candidate gets interviewed first and if the owner is still intent on hiring a non-minority candidate, they can do so without any rhyme or reason. In this instance, Jerry would have to fire Garrett and interview a minority candidate like a Jerome Henderson and if he still wanted Payton, he could do so without issue and it would not cost them any draft picks or compensation. The same thing happened when we hired Parcells.

YR
  20. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Not to mention, the one guy who got the best out of Tony Romo is none other than...drum roll... Sean Payton.

He's coming here!!