1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Sean Payton comes to Dallas

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CATCH17, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,179 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    And Garrett had to clean house with alot of people when he got the HC gig.

You don't get rid of 4 of your OL in 2 seasons and expect to win short term. I have never seen that much turnover in the NFL on the OL.

We got rid of alot of talent and haven't replaced it as fast as we let it go.

I can't fault anyone in charge for taking over at a time when we had to sit through FA because we had to eat large money contracts.
  2. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Understood.

So why keep one of the main guys who had a huge hand in making these bad decisions? Why get rid of offensive lineman and then not dedicate yourself to at least getting one good player in the draft/free agency?

Garrett is and has been in on all of the nonsense that has gone on with this offense and this organization since he got here. Bad trades, bad contracts, bad draft picks.....he has been a part of that....big time part of it.

This organization needs a fresh approach and a fresh perspective on the talent on this roster and how the roster is constructed.
  3. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,302 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    absolutely it matters, that's why this team is built from the outside in, because 88s and 24s sell better the 77s and 63s. That's what happens when the person responsible for selecting players is also responsible for generating revenue. Most gms only care about getting quality players and coaches to generate wins, but here its not that simple.
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,179 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    All good questions that I can really only speculate on.

IMO this offseason was to purely help out the defense and get Rob the players he needed to run his scheme. I suspect that the offense will get it's upgrades this coming one.

Judging by an interview that Stephen gave right before the OTAs I think the Cowboys were going to go after Zeitler with the first pick. Trade down to get Zeitler and get some more picks, but once the deal with St. Louis was in play they went after it because just like Tyron, it was for a blue-chip player that was their best defensive player rated on their board.

JG's philosophy, which he's stated before, is to fill your major holes via FA and draft BPA. They held to that philosphy during this 2012 draft. Tom Ciskowski had also stated that Garrett and Wade were very two different guys when it came to the scouting department.

I don't believe the FO forsaw Doug Free being miserable and Bernadeau struggling as bad he has. Those to me are the real disappointments, especially Free.

But you certainly cannot predict injuries like Costa (back) and then at some point having your 4th string OC get you through football games.

I think we all knew that an injury along the OL was going to have a major effect on this team and it was something we couldn't afford with the little depth behind them.
  5. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,388 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Again, I am confused to why so many think he would return.

I don't see it at all.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,666 Messages
    2,390 Likes Received
    I know, you're right. Sad and strange, isn't it?

But you'd think that even people who were on the Garrett bandwagon would see that he isn't the next Tom Landry, or even a good coach.

Well, some like theebs have seen the weight of the evidence and have changed their opinions, but others with bigger egos can't do that.

And even if you think Garrett is a "good" head coach -- which is pretty much impossible to argue -- wouldn't you still upgrade if you had the chance?
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

We won't have the chance. That is what we are saying. Oh, and for the record, not just us "Garrett Fans."

Written today...

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/component/k2/item/177656-offsides-blog-who-ll-replace-sean-payton

"If I had to put odds on Payton remaining with the organization he turned into a winner -- I'd put those odds at 98 percent. "

Sorry.

Edit...By the way, the Saints feel they have Payton already inked for 2013 because they don't have him for this year. They are citing the length of his contract, which has not been fulfilled. They may have a case, as any lawyer will tell you, making this whole discussion, null and void.
  8. Chocolate Lab

33,666 Messages
    2,390 Likes Received
    I already said I think it's a longshot myself. One way or another, I suspect he's back in New Orleans.

The real issue is the people who wouldn't prefer him if he becomes available. And no, it's not offended, more like mystified.

But like bird said, to some people it's more about their egos and predictions than the success of the team.
  9. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,302 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    So....your saying there is a chance.:)

It sound like you're downright giddy either that we won't be upgrading severely in the coaching department or Garrett will be keeping his job which one is it?
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,666 Messages
    4,535 Likes Received
    I love the guy, and don't think wanting him to remain has anything at all to do with my ego. I happen to think you don't make precipitous coaching changes, and, as I've said in this thread, there are always good coaches available and no reason to think Payton himself won't be available next year or sometime soon thereafter.

I know it makes a nicer story if the guys who don't agree with a position are all deluded, but sometimes there really are decent reasons on both sides of a debate. It's what makes debates interesting.
  11. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Yeah, he was wrong. So are you. Have a great evening though.
  12. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No matter who the Coach in Dallas is he won't have success with Mr. Jones and company in charge of football operations. He won't be allowed to being in his own staff. He'll have the owner/GM contradicting him in the media. That same owner/GM will go get players he wants regardless of what the coach says. He'll have a front office that has no idea or plan on how to build a team.
  13. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Giddy? More like amused that self professed "realists" are engaged in such a fantasy.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,666 Messages
    4,535 Likes Received
    Don't forget 'a fanbase with a serious persecution complex.'
  15. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,232 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    Just because Payton signs back doesn't mean Garrett keeps his job.

Ill be borderline shocked if he goes 8-8 or 7-9 and keeps his job.
  17. dfan32

dfan32 Member

263 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Not to 'weigh in' on this discussion but if Sean Peyton is suspended from any contact with the Saints organization, how could he sign it?
  18. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    The only thing different between this team and the 2002 campo team is romo.

I mean honestly, this team right now is as poorly run as that one and I would take Zimmer over rob Ryan everyday of the week.

Oh I guess that team actually beat Washington on thanksgiving so that is one other difference.

In 2002 we lost four straight in December to finish the year, I have a feeling that Could happen again.

Everyone loves to goof on campo, right now we are seeing the same level of poor coaching and incompetence. The difference? Romo is coercing up a lot of crap and we are just a touch better than those campo teams right now.

It's just sad.
  19. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,038 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Jerry is a lot older now. He also fired Gailey after a 10-6 and 8-8 season, and Gailey made it to the playoffs both seasons. This isn't gonna be a 10-6 season, maybe not an 8-8 either, and we aren't going to make the playoffs, if I were a betting man.

That being said, I don't see it happening either. We're stuck with the Garrett.
  20. Chocolate Lab

33,666 Messages
    2,390 Likes Received
    Same here, I still think Holmgren is a possibility.