1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Sean Payton comes to Dallas

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CATCH17, Nov 26, 2012.

1. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,440 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    I don't understand all of this talk about other head coaches. It is only RHG's 2nd season as head coach and the Cowboys are clearly rebuilding. I don't think he is going anywhere for at least a couple of years. I mean, surely Jerry will give him a chance to play with a real offensive line before firing him.
  2. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,377 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    If Jerry hasn't sent word to Payton's people of his interest, then he's making a huge misstake.

I remember when everyone was giving the Dolphins grief for chasing Harbaugh when they already had a coach on the payroll. The Dolphins were trying to win and looking back at it, going after harbaugh was the right thing to do. They weren't worried about feelings or how it might look, they knew they had a chance to get a winner and pulled oput all the stops. We should do the same now.
  3. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    He dismantled the old Oline and rebuilt this mess of one. I would seriously think about taking a flyer on Columbo, or Kosier right now.

You don't rebuild in this league unless you don't have a QB. You retool. Look at the colts. Lost the best player in the league and tanked and looked like they were rebuilding. Then got the best player in the draft and are headed for the playoffs now. Jerry will not rebuild so give it up.
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    I'm sure he's reached out to him, or somebody has. Hell he coaches his sons team right down the road right now. And yes you are right, Sparano was like, " hey remember me?" As the dolphins were courting coaches all over America.
  5. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Good thing Denver didn't take this approach with josh mcdaniels.

I mean you could see the issues and they didn't worry about him working it out.

They saw good coaches were available and they ended up with a terrific head coach in John fox.

Good decisions have to start somewhere in this organization.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    If he wasn't so inept I would be fine with giving him more time but his philosophies for this day in age sadden me as a fan of this team.
  7. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    I'm with you. I really am. He's done to me.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    If we weren't playing parity football and he had an amazing player at each position than we could probably get away with him as a coach.

But in this NFL you need to be dynamic as a playcaller and adjust to the players you have. If your offensive line can't blow people off the ball then quit calling power running plays from 2 tight and 1 fullback formations in the mid field.

We should've been switching to a Houston Texans style running game in the offseason but we're still in 90s Cowboy mode.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,887 Messages
    8,986 Likes Received
    I'd settle for an NFL caliber offensive line.

But I know the drill. You're a fan. He's the guy to blame. Win with crap or you suck.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    I know what I'm watching though. It's one thing to say the coach sucks just for the hell of it but its another when you know the game and you watch your coach not even do things to help out a struggling oline.

There are ways to coach around having a bad oline and we don't even attempt it.

If we're stuck with Jerry Jones at the very least we have to have a coach that puts his players in the best position for success.
  11. birdwells1

3,377 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    The qualities that a coach has to possess to be successful in Dallas.

He has to have a proven track record of success. I feel that this is the only way to neutralize Jerry's effect on this ball club. His track record would also give him the authority to shape the culture a valley ranch, a neophite coach (Jason Garrett) will not weld that type of power. Remember, the last time that Jerry wasn't the face of the Cowboys is when BP was coaching and although he didn't get the results we all wanted he did manage to change the culture at Valley Ranch.

He needs to coach with some emotion. I like Harbaughs, Paytons, and Schianos demeanor and I think that their teams feed off of it. These guys are intense and agressive and their teams play that way. I think Garrett is the quiet, passive coach and I think that our team reflect that on field, we play with little or no emotion.

He needs to be able to get our talent to play at it's highest level. This is where Jimmy excelled most, Jimmy knew how to push players buttons to keep them on their toes. He, even today, says that all players should play with some type of fear and I 100% agree with him. We need to get away from The Valley Ranch Country Club, but I don't see jason as the type that would want to ruffle any feathers.

He needs to be someone that gives us an x's and o's advantage, I feel that Jason has not had enough experience coaching to out scheme some of the more seasoned d coordinators. This is some of the effect of being put on the fast track.

Sean Payton possesses these qualities, as of now Jason Garrett doesn't. If we can't get Payton then we need to pursue a coach of this ilk.
  12. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,572 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    The problem with all the only 2nd year and rebuilding talk is once that is complete he is going to be down his best QB, LB, and TE. Then it will be he just lost Romo, Ware and Witten you have to give him more time.
  13. birdwells1

3,377 Messages
    499 Likes Received