1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If someone broke into your house...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Rynie, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    .....could you kill them? I'm not talking legalities here. In Texas, it's perfectly legal to shoot and KILL someone that breaks into your house, and it's also perfectly legal (according to my cop neighbor) to shoot and kill someone that's breaking into your car, as long as it's AT NIGHT.

For me...YES! If someone broke into my house, I would not hesitate to shoot and kill them. Why? My home is my sanctuary, and I should always feel safe there. I'm not a gun-toting crazy, but as soon as I become a home-owner, I will buy a gun. It amazes me that there are places where I would go to jail for murder for protecting my home.

So my question to the fellow Zoners. Could you actually shoot and kill someone that broke into your home?
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    In a heartbeat.

And believe me, if anyone did break in, they'd be in serious trouble. I have a friggen arsenal in my house.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yes.

Then I would go over and kick his sorry rear end for bleeding on my floor.

But yes, I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it.

With all lines of work, there are certain risks. That is one of them.
  4. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Depends on how good my aim is I guess.
  5. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,464 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    In most states, including VA, you can't even shoot at them. I think you'd better check your law again, buddy.

I have a concealed weapons permit, and I know for a fact that if someone breaks into my house and is caught with my stuff in his hands or stealing my car, I'm going to jail if I even fire my gun.

I can only use my weapon to protect myself, physically, not my property, and saying I was fearful for my life won't cut it unless the criminal had a gun pointed at me or charges me with a knife.

Your home may be your sanctuary, but just as the police are not allowed to pull their guns and fire them unless it's to protect themselves or a citizen, neither are we.
  6. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,027 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    It's hard to say what I'd do if actually put in that position. It's easy to say on a message board. I mean, shooting someone for stealing some cds/radio out of my car? I'm not all that inclined to say I would. I'd just call the police and give them a hell of a good description.

My house? In the dark? I'd probably be much more inclined to pull out a weapon and use it.
  7. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Trust me, he'll have a knife by the time the police get there. :D
  8. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I think the first thing I'd do is find another way out of the house. No amount of property is worth (potentially) my life. Things can be replaced. I doubt I'd even have time to reach one of the two guns I keep in the house.
  9. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,216 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Yes. I figure if somebody attempts to break into my home at night with two vehicles parked outside that they must know we are home. If they know we are home and attempt to break in anyways, then I have to assume they don't just intend to steal my TV, and mean my family bodily harm. In that case they would be introduced to my Stoeger Coach 12 gauge. Vehicle break in...no! Nothing I own other than my family is worth killing somebody.
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    No.

I just dont have it in me to something like that, unless some harm was going to be done to my kids.
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Not if I didn't have to. I'd rather not kill someone, and I'd rather not kill someone over theft. I imagine if someone did break into my house, my fear would react first and I can't say what would happen. I hope I never find out.
  12. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ditto

However, I would also add harm being done to myself as well.

I bought my first gun last year and I have often contemplated what the game plan would be if I had to use it.

It really just depends on the situation but I really don't want to use deadly force unless I absolutely had too.

Taking a human life is very serious and I would rather not deal with the emotional consequences if I can avoid it.
  13. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,682 Messages
    314 Likes Received

Truth there, I will never own a gun, but having defensive weapon, and ESPECIALLY having a great redundant security system setup is the first thing you should have.

I can't imagine waking up at night being sleepy and grabbing a gun after hearing stuff breaking then shooting(if you hit them) turn on the lights, oops just hit one of my family.
  14. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Why even pose this question? Most people here would drive 50 miles to shoot someone that just thought about breaking into someones house in China.

A better question is: If you were robbed of everything you own, what would be the first non-essential personal item you would replace? By that, I mean DVD player, laptop, TV, guitar, etc.
  15. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    My house was broken in to several months ago but we weren't home. I sure wished my 100 lb pitbull had still been around. They might have gotten in but they wouldn't have gotten out.
  16. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First of all, I don't live in Virginia. So why don't YOU look it up. Texas buddy.
  17. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    EXACTLY.
  18. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,027 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    You said what I was trying to say better than I said it. :D
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I don't have a gun but I wouldn't have a problem shooting someone if I did.

If I happened to hit him in a critical area and he died, so be it I suppose.

I'd feel bad for his family but not for him.

I wouldn't shoot with the intent of killing him unless there was serious immediate danger but I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to do what needed to be done.
  20. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,700 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    Shoot to kill?

I dont know, maybe shoot them in the kneecaps, or their unmentionables.