1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If the 'Boys fail to reach playoffs next season, I think Lovie Smith will be next HC

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yuma Cactus, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

669 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    IMO if the 'Boys fail to reach the playoffs next season then Lovie Smith will be the next HC. The Bears made a huge mistake and Lovie will sit out this year probably doing some TV and look for another Head job next year. It is the Schottenheimer conundrum, has very good teams year in, year out but the GM/Owner believes the coach is the problem and whacks him. None of the teams that whacked him (Marty) got any farther than he did and usually sunk back to the basement of their respective divisions.
  2. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    it would be the best ive felt about the coaching situation since Parcells was hired.
  3. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,227 Messages
    1,970 Likes Received
    Could be, I would not be against that hire.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    suddenly tatoo make sense.
  5. garrett316

garrett316 Well-Known Member

2,455 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    I think that is much more likely than Gruden.
  6. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,798 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Have the Cowboys ever had an African-American coach at a level higher than position coach?
  7. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,774 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    why didn't anybody hire lovie smith? there were certainly many openings in the NFL. yet he didn't get a whiff, even to satisfy the rooney rule!!!

here we go again, with people throwing around the big names they have heard, cowher, smith, gruden, blah blah blah
  8. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Active Member

899 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    The DC under Wade who got fired. Brian Stewart?
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,668 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Defensive coordinator under Wade.
  10. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,454 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    I want red to succeed just because I want our cowboys to succeed. But I would love to have mr. Smith in the fold as our head coach. Look what he did with a bears team who had jay quitler and Rex gross man as their qb's
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,156 Messages
    2,993 Likes Received
    I don't think that Jerry will fire Garrett as long as the players continue to play hard, regardless of the Win-Loss record.

IMO, Jerry just does not have a high regard for Head Coaches. He thinks their primary function is to keep the players motivated and to deal with the media. I guess that Garrett could get in trouble if he really screws up some game-management situations.
  12. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,606 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    For whatever reason, it seemed like teams were looking for offensive coaches. Not sure if any defensive coaches HC positions.
  13. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,241 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    your right. He basically wants them to stay out of his way. Parcells was the exception but Big Bill was just to far away from his peak years. Lovie would be interesting because I think he would let Jerry do his thing.
  14. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    He interviewed for the Philly and San Diego jobs.
  15. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    what did Smith do with some very good Chicago teams?
  16. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Got to a Super Bowl and 2 NFC Championship games.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I haven't read where there is any connection with Lovie and Jerry that would make me think he was more of a frontrunner than some of the other coaches that have been mentioned. It may be, but I haven't seen anything. I think Lovie got a raw deal, but it would depend on what coaches are available. Who knows what Jerry is looking for when he interviews? I think it depends on his mood that day.
  18. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,017 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    The Cowboys already have Kiffin and Marinelli to run the defense. Lovie is a good coach but he has always had problems bringing in a competent offense. That move wouldn't make sense for the Cowboys.
  19. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,798 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Yeah, that occurred to me too.
  20. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,467 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Smith will get another HC job, but I wouldn't want him unless paired with a strong GM, which he won't have in Dallas.