1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If The Draft Were Held Today v2

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by sureletsrace, Nov 7, 2012.

1. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,712 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    We'd be picking 14th. I'll use this pick for each round, minus the 7 we used for Cook. I won't pick any players slotted to go sooner than when the Cowboys pick, and I'm using the CBS Sports Prospect Rankings.

1 (14) - Sam Montgomery | DE/OLB | LSU | 6'5" 260lb - Could beat Anthony Spencer outright for the SOLB position. Unreal athleticism with a speed rush and a nice inside spin move. Think a less polished (obviously) Dwight Freeney. Not that he IS the next Dwight Freeney, he definitely has the potential and the athleticism to be. Led the team for sacks and was second in tackles for a loss despite an ACL tear the year before.

2 (46) - Desmond Trufant | CB | Washington |
    6'0" 186lb - Replacement for Mike Jenkins. Some NFL scouts have already said he'd be their 2nd or 3rd CB on their big boards, so he's a take in the mid 2nd round. Brother of Marcus Trufant.

3 (78) - Khaled Holmes | C | Southern California | 6'3" 305lb - He can play any 3 interior line positions, I don't care where you line him up at. Just give me the best players starting.

4 (110) - Kenjon Barner | RB | Oregon | 5'11" 192lb - Hands down the new KR/PR. Felix Jones will be gone and Kenjon Barner will make the 53.

5 (142) - Conner Vernon | WR | Duke |
    6'1" 200lb - He runs sharp, precise routes with very good footwork to create a little separation and snatch the catch away from his frame, but lacks ideal size and speed. Think Patrick Crayton.

6 (174) - Daimion Stafford | FS | Nebraska | 6'1" 205lb - Smooth, flexible athlete with good acceleration. Likes to blow plays up with heavy hitting and aggressive attitude. Has good vision of the field to diagnose plays and makes quick, accurate reads wasting little time.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,811 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    Welp I like 1 and 3. The rest not so much.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Montgomery is a beast, but is he versatile enough to play SOLB? He'd be great if we didn't have Ware but I don't think he's cable of playing the run as well as we would need him too. Sacks aren't everything. Not that I don't like Montgomery, guess I'm just objecting the position taken.

And Holmes probably isn't strong enough to start in the NFL right now. Put him in front of a 330 lb beast and he's gonna get thrown around. See the Utah game this year for evidence.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    he had an injured ankle in that game

but of course that does not matter

Center and guard are NEEDS this year
  5. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

925 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Chris Faulk from LSU the Olineman who hurt his knee in the first or second game should be available in the 2nd round and when healthy would be a beast, still need a center and Holmes is on the short list for this next draft. I have watched LSU and really Montgomery is nice but for a number 1 I am not sure. Maybe I watched the ankle injury game and should hold off on checking him off my list. I really like the Bjoern Werner from Fla St DE.
    If I could dream like I have in the past when I thought of McFadden, Suh, Calvin Johnson, as our saviors, this year it would be the DT from Ohio State Johnathan Hankins, I hope our season does not bring him into a real possibility.
  6. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    OL or safety in the 1st round.

Those are the two biggest weaknesses on this team.
  7. DrKennethNoisewater

DrKennethNoisewater Member

106 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    No DL help at all and only addressing the OL with one player is not something I want to do. Also, we don't need to replace Jenkins...either pick up a vet or go with a scrub off the street. We have spent considerable resources at CB and would hate to use a 2nd this offseason when we have far greater needs.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,278 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    1st and 2nd picks should go to the o-line and maybe even the 3rd pick.

Kenjon Barner may be playing himself into the 3rd or 2nd round.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,126 Messages
    2,979 Likes Received
    Decent mock, even with the overkill of taking a CB in the 2nd. Also, nice formatting.

1 (14) - Sam Montgomery | DE/OLB | LSU | 6'5" 260lb - Could beat Anthony Spencer outright for the SOLB position. Unreal athleticism with a speed rush and a nice inside spin move. Think a less polished (obviously) Dwight Freeney. Not that he IS the next Dwight Freeney, he definitely has the potential and the athleticism to be. Led the team for sacks and was second in tackles for a loss despite an ACL tear the year before.
    Montgomery does not have the freakish athleticism of player like Mingo; however, he might be the best option to replace Spencer. He is one of, if not the best against the run of the top 3-4 OLB prospects.

He appears to have the physical ability to drop into coverage; however, this aspect of his game is much less proven than some of the other top pass rushers.

2 (46) - Desmond Trufant | CB | Washington |
    6'0" 186lb - Replacement for Mike Jenkins. Some NFL scouts have already said he'd be their 2nd or 3rd CB on their big boards, so he's a take in the mid 2nd round. Brother of Marcus Trufant.
    They say you can never have enough good CBs, but this might be overkill. Trufant appears to have 1st round talent, but there are some other players on the CBS list that might have 1st round talent also.

I would feel better
    (not great) about taking a CB in the 2nd if they had traded down in the 1st and received another 2nd or 3rd.

3 (78) - Khaled Holmes | C | Southern California | 6'3" 305lb - He can play any 3 interior line positions, I don't care where you line him up at. Just give me the best players starting.
    Excellent pick based on the CBS list. In reality, I think he goes in the 2nd round.

Here is my play-by-play of Holmes vs Lotulelei is you're interested:
    http://www.walker-texas.com/holmes-vs-star.pdf

4 (110) - Kenjon Barner | RB | Oregon| 5'11" 192lb - Hands down the new KR/PR. Felix Jones will be gone and Kenjon Barner will make the 53.
    Good pick. Barner is impressive at RB and the KR/PR ability is much needed.

5 (142) - Conner Vernon | WR | Duke |
    6'1" 200lb - He runs sharp, precise routes with very good footwork to create a little separation and snatch the catch away from his frame, but lacks ideal size and speed. Think Patrick Crayton.
    Ok. He is the ACC record holder for career receptions.

6 (174) - Daimion Stafford | FS | Nebraska | 6'1" 205lb - Smooth, flexible athlete with good acceleration. Likes to blow plays up with heavy hitting and aggressive attitude. Has good vision of the field to diagnose plays and makes quick, accurate reads wasting little time.[/quote]
    Good. This is the type of pick that can be good in the later rounds. He appears to have the ability, but he is behind due to being a JUCO transfer.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,126 Messages
    2,979 Likes Received
    Here is a pic of a certain CowboysZone poster if the Cowboys pick a CB in the 2nd round:

spontaneous human combustion
    [IMG]
  11. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,712 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    Keep in mind I am basing this mock on what would happen NOW.

I understand certain players are going to rise, but for this exercise I'm using current slottings.

I'm pretty happy with our DL, I anticipate progression from Tyrone Crawford and Sean Lissemore, and feel they could well be our starters next year with Spears and Hatcher backing them up. Jay Ratliff is Jay Ratliff, and even if he falls off a cliff, Brent has been playing well in Ratliff's stead.

The NFL today is about passing and stopping the pass. If I ran the team, I'd want to be 4-5 deep at CB. 3rd most important position IMO. I do not want to "go pick a scrub off the street". That's what makes defenses fail. You HAVE to be deep at CB.

Our OL will see improvement with the addition of just one player. If Kowalski plays like he did last year, he could very well start for us. There's the C position solved. Khaled could start at either G spot, and then we'd have a best player wins for the opposite G spot.
  12. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Take Holmes in 2 and another CB in 3-4. I like Barner a lot and he helps in 4 areas (run, catch, PR, KR).

SOLB, C, RB, CB.

Unfortunately Boys think Costa is Stepnoski.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,815 Messages
    1,601 Likes Received
    Dearly departed, RS:laugh2:
  14. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    There's going to be a ton of very good safties available in the 2nd. I think it would be a mistake not to take advantage of that.

The OL is obviously a need, especially in the interior. Might be a good idea to trade down and try to pick up an additional 2nd and 3rd (or 4th).