1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If this were 2010, where would Mark Barron be drafted?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by hra8700, Apr 15, 2012.

1. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

806 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Are people talking about him as a top 15 prospect because he's actually that good on tape, or because this is such a thin safety class?

In a draft class that looked like this:
    5. Eric Berry
    14. Earl Thomas
    37. Nate Allen
    38. TJ Ward
    49: Taylor Mays

Where would Mark Barron be drafted?
  2. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,137 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    just my opinion...but probably somewhere b/w Thomas and Allen....

late teens to early 20s would be my guess

from what i remember about that class and what we're heard about Barron it's clear that Berry was head and shoulders above everyone at safety to come out the last few years.

he would be close to Thomas but i'd give Thomas the edge at this point just b/c he was more of a ballhawk prospect
  3. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Completely agree. 3rd S in that class I'd guess. And remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some teams could like Barron better than Thomas because of his size and far superior physicality. I think Barron is a 1st round prospect any year.
  4. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,592 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    IMO if Markelle Martin were not injured, Barron would not be the first safety drafted.

Martin is faster, better in coverage and a bigger hitter.
  5. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,462 Messages
    395 Likes Received
    Top 50
  6. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Between 15 & 37.
  7. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    The Browns made a great pick with TJ Ward. Thomas was clearly a better prospect than Barron for today's NFL.
  8. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,451 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Nate Allen is pretty superior to Barron in pass coverage, I'm not so sure Barron would have been drafted over him. It's possible, but not a definite by any means.
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,694 Messages
    1,904 Likes Received
    I think he still would have got drafted over Nate because of the school he went to.

Barron just doesn't do anything great as of now. He's just solid in all areas. That may be exactly what the Cowboys need though.

For me i'd still take Earl Thomas #1 out of all those guys.
  10. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    behind allen, probably would have replaced tj ward in that class
  11. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,539 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    You sound like you're basing that on Allen's actual performance in the NFL, which would be unknown on draft day (and hasn't exactly been Pro Bowl caliber anyway).

In college, Allen was second-team All-Big East; Barron is a first-team All-American. Allen had nine interceptions in three years; Barron had twelve, against tougher competition. Allen's numbers at the combine when he was perfectly healthy were nearly identical to what Barron did while still recovering from surgery.

Barron would almost certainly be drafted higher, by a team looking for a strong safety rather than a free safety like Allen.
  12. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,001 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Philly fans will disagree with you on Allen.
  13. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,604 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    There is 0 chance he would have been in the same round as Berry or Thomas, he is not close to the value they represent. I don't hate him, I hate that there is a consideration that he is is a top half pick in the first round right now.

The most disturbing thing is the overvaluing/overrating these Alabama guys that all played together. If you look at say our 2007 pro-bowl representatives that was super-hyper bloated because the team was doing great as a unit. There are a ton of times a Superbowl winning team goes on to the next year as favorites and they fall flat on their face.

This is an oversimplification of how the talent can synergy together, it is apparent to me that there are at least a few duds that are being exaggerated from Alabama, and actually a couple that may be pretty good. I just hope someone can figure out this in scouting/coaching and GM.
  14. TheFinisher

2,451 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Not really, Nate Allen was universally viewed as a very good centerfielding FS coming out. He had the ballhawk label and teams didn't question his range or ability to turn and track the football like they do with Mark Barron.

They are different players, Barron is a better in the box guy than Allen but it's a lot harder to find a centerfielder than it is a box safety. Like I said, I'm not so sure he'd have been drafted ahead of Allen.
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,932 Messages
    994 Likes Received
    Agree with this.
  16. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    Defintely agree he would have gone after Thomas but before Allen. Allen was somewhat of a late riser in the draft.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,694 Messages
    1,904 Likes Received
    From what i've seen I think Barron is pretty solid when he is playing deep.

I just don't really see a weakness with Barron but I don't see anything spectacular either.

I wish we would've signed Reggie Nelson from Cincy.
  18. TheFinisher

2,451 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Barron's a little stiff and has some struggles finding the football when asked to turn and run. But as long as you let him play as a true SS in the box and keep things in front of him you should be able to mask it. He's no doubt at his best when he can drive on routes in front of him. He's a very instinctive player.
  19. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    The truth however is that Barron is the top rated S available in the draft. I realize that things are slow and we fans need something to talk about. But how Barron stacks up against Ss two years ago is irrelevant. How Barron stacks up against the other players in this draft like DeCastro and Cox, etc. is very relevant. Barron might not be the top S in the NFL, but he will definitely make our secondary much better. My wish and hope are: DeCastro, Cox or Barron.
    Anyone of these guys will make the team better.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Everyone says Markelle can't tackle, maybe he's a bigger hitter though.

But I agree, Baron still goes first round, between Thomas and Allen. Keep in mind, however, that Berry and Thomas were classic FS's, so that still makes Barron the first SS taken. Berry might be playing SS for the Chiefs now, I can't remember, but he's a natural FS.