1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If We All Agree That Payton is a Better Coach

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by birdwells1, Nov 24, 2012.

1. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,315 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    then what's all the fuss?

Is Payton a better designer of plays? Yes.

Is Payton a better Offensive Coordinator? Yes.

Is Payton a more accomplished coach? Yes

Is Payton a better leader? Yes

Is Payton a better motivator? Yes

Did Payton pay his dues and work his way up the coaching ranks? Yes

Is Payton young enough to be with this team for a while? Yes (he's 48 and Garretts 46)

Would he be the guy that could get the most out of this aging core? Yes.

If you answered all or most of these questions with a yes then we should all be in agreement that the Cowboys should seek to hire Payton as soon as the seasons over.

If you still want Garrett to be the head coach when there's a highly qualified replacement, such as Payton, available then you're more of a Jason fan than a Cowboys fan.
  2. Avenging Hayseed

Avenging Hayseed Interwebs fooseball expert

2,262 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Payton is far and away the better candidate in almost every respect. And its not close.

I have no hard evidence, nothing but a gut feeling really,......but I THINK THIS HAPPENS! Have a strong feeling that regardless of what ANY of the major players involved say publicly now.....in the end he ends up coaching here next season.
  3. rags747

rags747 Active Member

993 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I think Jerry would love to have Payton but I also think Jerry does not want to give up on Jason too soon. At the end of the day I think Jason gets one more year.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,296 Messages
    3,203 Likes Received
    Is Payton a better coach? I don't know. He's won with Brees who is one of the best pure passers I've ever seen. They have some great receivers. They can definitely throw some points on the board.

Not so much D though. Ok STs.

Payton has won less with more at NO than I'd expect but he's still a very good coach.

It's really hard for me to evaluate coaches for different teams unless they have a fairly large body of work.
  5. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

932 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I'd love to see Payton here, but I have doubts that it will happen. Payton would want to be given full autonomy over all football operations. In other words, Jerry would have to finally butt out and just handle business. I don't see Jerry giving up his meddling ways. I just don't. I had some hope that he finally would when Parcells became coach. Didn't happen.

Payton's already got millions. What more could he buy that he can't already buy if Jerry lines his pockets some more? I think Payton would rather return to New Orleans where he can run things the way he sees fit.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,430 Messages
    6,486 Likes Received
    The problem is Payton is the same guy fans couldn't wait to see leave as the OC here years ago. Now he's the savior. Until he would actually come back and flounder under Jerry Jones. Then he's the problem too. Just our luck with all these terrible coaches.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I respect your opinion but come on now.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,896 Messages
    3,359 Likes Received
    It doesn't matter how all the questions get answered. The bottom line is......does Payton even want to come back to the Cowboys?

It's the same thing with FA. Fans scream to get this or that player and we don't know if they have any interest in coming here.
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,194 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    IMO Jerry hires Payton and it makes him and our fracise look like the smartest people in the room.

The new press alone would be crazy. The fans would be so excited again about the cowboys. It has Jerry written all over it. Nobody would care about letting JG go. He would be forgotten. Don't count it out. Jerry has only so much time left, and to me, outside of getting Big Bill, it would be his best move to date.
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,310 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    HoF caliber QBs can make just about any NFL coach look great.

I wonder how Payton would be without Drew Brees.

He certainly hasn't done a great job on the defensive side of the ball.

He certainly has shown beyond bad judgement knowingly allowing a bounty system to operate on his team.

The guy is an egomaniac and is demonstrates, for me, a sickening amount of hubris --- as evidenced by running up the score on opponents, juicing stats for no other reason to break records, etc

In summary:

I know Sean Payton is a good coach. Despite being a good coach, I don't want him in Dallas. I personally like having someone running the team that I respect and he'll never earn my respect.
  11. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Sounds like there's a hidden agenda here...

Payton is exactly what Dallas needs.
  12. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,977 Messages
    759 Likes Received

perry, while I happen to agree with a lot of what you are saying here....I would point out that folks were saying the same things about jimmy johnson back in the day....

I believe there is about a 5% chance this actually takes place...and if it does, only a matter of time before these two egos explode all over big d..

I believe coach is using this as a bargaining chip for whatever else he wants from new orleans...
  13. panchucko

panchucko I'm too excited to sleep.. Zone Supporter

1,933 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Does it really matter what we answer? Bottom line is does Jerry want Payton here, and does he want to be stuck paying all the money to Jason and to Payton. In case you don't know the Cowboys aren't the Packers they aren't owned by 250,000 owners, there is only one owner and he makes all decisions.
  14. birdwells1

3,315 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    To me, there's not a big drop off from Brees to Romo, Tony would benefit from a fresh approach.

Could you name all big FA signings or high draft pick he's used on wrs? The thing that I'm most impressed by Payton is that all the wrs and te on the field are a threat in his offense. Rbs out of the backfield are threats in the passing game also. When the Saints lose it's not because they could only muster 13 points or so.

I mean he's won a sb, went to the NFC Championship, and made the playoffs 2 other times.

When Jerry hired Garrett as OC he envisioned him being the next Sean Payton for the Dallas Cowboys, thus far he has not met expectations. It's not like Payton is 66 and Jason is 35 years old, I mean if you want the real one he's right there for the taking.

This offseason address the oline and hire Payton is what JJ should do imo.
  15. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,129 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Payton and Garrett are the old men in the making.

ie. Parcell's and Holmgren
  16. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,127 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    There's be few complaints if they signed Payton (at least until the team took the field, lol). However, I don't think that will happen, and Holmgren was lousy as a gm/hc. The Seahawks didn't have any success until they fired him as the gm. He might improve Romo's play, but he'd destroy the talent level around him.

This team needs a HC with good gm skills to succeed...and that's hard to find.
  17. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,049 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    i think that parcells held payton back in how he wanted to call the offense. the saints offense in payton first year was a wide open attack offense and parcell still wanted a run balance and ball control. payton is a great coach but i do not believe jones will let him come here and be in control of this team.
  18. birdwells1

3,315 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    Hey Risen, I'm in total agreement with you that the biggest problem this team has is Jerry, but when trying to think of ways this team can be successful I think of him as a given. Jerry's not going to give up the GM role so how can we be successful in spite of him.

When I think of a time where Jerry did give up some of the control it was to BP. Why? Because Bill was an established coach and had skins on the wall. Before and after him Jerry has hired coaches that not only were just happy to have a job but that wouldn't get hired anywhere else as hc. BP didn't have the success in the w's and l's category but he did suceed in changing the culture at Valley Ranch. He was pass his time, unfortunately, x's and o's wise so he didn't have the onfield success we'd hoped for.

Now I was one of the ones that said that Payton sucked as our OC, but when I saw what his offense did in N.O. it was painfully obvious to me that he was only carrying out BP's game plan in Dallas.

Imo Payton is a younger offensive minded BP that could weld enough power, with his credentials, that would allow this team to get on the right path.

Just a side note, although Payton is only 2 years older than Garrett (48 to 46) did you know that Payton started coaching in 1988 and Garrett in 2005?
    That's 17 years of experience difference, wow.
  19. birdwells1

3,315 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    The thing I look at is that he hasn't signed a contract with N.O. yet, although that could just be a negotiating tactic.

His kids live in the Dallas area, in fact I think I heard that he was coaching his son's middle school football team. If that factors into his decision and if he chooses to leave N.O. then anywhere he goes to will only take him farter away from his kids.

I'm banking on those 2 things to be in play to get Payton here.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,430 Messages
    6,486 Likes Received
    That all sounds great but the problem is would Jerry give Payton that kind of control? Because if he doesn't, nothing changes.

Would it surprise me at all if Jason Garrett leaves here and becomes a coaching success free of a lunatic owner? No, it would not. That's my point. You guys can have fun blaming the scapegoat of the month. I'm pretty sure I know the real problem with this team.