1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If We All Agree That Payton is a Better Coach

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by birdwells1, Nov 24, 2012.

1. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,216 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Garrett has made coaching blunders independant of JJ that make me smh. Do I believe that Garrett will be a great coach someday? If he goes back down the ladder and he works his way up the right way then maybe. Right now you've got a guy that's only been in coaching, at any level, since 2005. Not only do you give him the responsibility of coaching the highest profile franchise in sports but he also has to call plays. Has the head coach/oc been successful? Yes but with more experience coaches not with a virtual neophite.

Think about this, would everyone talk about how much an offensive genius and how bright Garrett was if he'd gone to Eastern Illinois rather than Princeton? I think not.

By the way, I didn't realize that Payton and Romo qb'd at the same college.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,804 Messages
    5,329 Likes Received
    I just think it's a lot of nonsense. Monday morning QBing from fans. Just an OL upgrade gives this team a couple more wins and nobody's talking about all these supposed coaching blunders Garrett's made.

The bottom line to me is no matter who the head coach is, he was set up for this. He's the guy paid to take the brunt of the criticism for Jerry's flawed product. He'll eventually pay the ultimate price and get fired and then a new coach will be brought in for the same sacrificial role. Because until the structure changes, you can't win here.

But most fans don't want to admit that so they've got tunnel vision on Garrett. He can be replaced, so he's the problem. He's all that is wrong with this team. There's so much misused and/or ill prepared talent. We're one move away from being a contender and that move is on the way. Next year is our year. Go Cowboys.

The problem is those same fans said the very same thing about the guy they now suddenly covet. Sean Payton. So it's a little hard to take seriously. Seems like a dog chasing it's tail to me.
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Wow.

Just... Wow.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,143 Messages
    1,317 Likes Received
    It depends if Jason learns from his mistakes here.

If he goes to another team and tries to run the same system he does here and doesn't adjust for nobody than he'll suck at his next job.

He'll be lucky to see another coordinator job anytime soon though.
  5. birdwells1

3,216 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Well, I stated that I didn't like Payton as an OC with us because the offense was stale but when he went to NO I saw who the real problem was. Guilty as charged but that doesn't mean I have to stay with that opinion.

I respect your opinion but honestly what did you think of Payton as OC here?

All things being equal, would you say that Payton would be an upgrade?
  6. CowboysPhan

CowboysPhan Obsequious Cowboys Toadie

447 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    RS, I must say that I don't always agree with your take on things, but I think in this case you're exactly correct. I have a very strong feeling that if Payton comes here, all expectations go through the roof, everything starts looking up, and then it all comes back down to earth and everyone is calling for Payton's head within 2 to 3 years as well.
  7. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,114 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Fixed it for you.
  8. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Active Member

825 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    It won't make a difference. We can have Landry back, and the outcome will be the same. AS LONG AS THE JERRY JONES IS INVOLVED IN THIS ORGANIZATION, NOTHING WILL CHANGE.
  9. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,798 Messages
    462 Likes Received
    I don't think Payton comes here and accepts Garret's current 2nd in command role though. He can stay in NO and be The Man, and the Saints will be happy to pay him well to do so.

Obviously this makes it far less likely that anything happens, but what will definitely NOT happen is Payton comes here just to be a better Garrett. He will have Jimmy-esque clauses in his contract keeping Jerry from interfering if he does decide to make the jump.
  10. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorry, but Payton wasn't hamstrung by Jerry, he was 'hamstrung' by Parcells. Parcells wanted a conservative game-approach to his offense, which is exactly what he got. He wanted veteran QBs in the traditional prototypical QB, which is why he brought in Drew Bledsoe and VT. And he wanted a game manager, not a gunslinger.

Romo, which was Payton's pick, was a QB utterly different from the typical Parcells QB. And as is evident from Payton's work in New Orleans, his offensive philosophy is totaly different.
  11. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And anybody that equates Garrett as being even on the same plane as Payton is a true homer...
  12. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,611 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    ...yep.
  13. birdwells1

3,216 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Exactly, this would be the first time Jerry went after a coach with other options. The last time the Cowboys fandom was this discouraged he had to suck it up and hire Parcells.

If Garrett goes 6-10 or 7-9 it's no way he can sell this team to the fans in 2013. Lets hope Jerry's m,arketing mind moves him to make this coaching change.

Cowboys biggest problems:

1. Jerry Jones

2. oline

3. coaching

You can't change #1 but if you could change #2 & #3 then we may be able to get this organization on the right track.

Again the only reason I push for Payton is because he meets the special criteria I think it will take to be a successful coach in this organization.
  14. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    I had the same reaction. Ridiculous.
  15. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And anybody that is living under the delusion that any of these coaches should sit back and coordinate while JG remains HC is being a true homer as well... JG doesn't deserve the position right now, plain and simple. It's utter disrespect to the work of somebody like Payton, who already rebuilt a perennial loser and turned them into SUper Bowl winners and contenders since he's bin there in this era of the game, in these very conditions...

Who cares about JG's feelings? There are plenty of people in the league getting fired for their body of work... It's nothing personal and it shouldn't be. I mean I'm pretty sure 99.99% on this forum have no relation to JG, but they get so sentimental about him based upon some past body of work, which is in reality more marketing than anything else.
  16. DallasDomination

DallasDomination Well-Known Member

6,239 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    This is the same guy that everybody wanted gone at one point. Now everybody wants him back. Interesting how that works. I for one think it's a pipe dream he comes here either way. He has Drew Brees and a better culture in N.O.

Everyone wants a culture change by getting a new coach. Thats not gonna happen.
  17. CxC1993

CxC1993 Member

285 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I'd love for Sean Payton to come back to Dallas. It's a long shot tho, because the big ego, Jerry Jones, doesn't like giving up control. But like I said, it'd be nice. Sean brought in Romo, he'd know how to get this offense going.
  18. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    That is incorrect. I wanted him to take over as HC.
  19. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Of course they wanted them gone, though this 'everybody' was not everybody so the generalization that everybody wanted him gone is absurd.. it's the same emotionalism they have with respect to Parcells, though the game passed him by... They couldn't reconcile in their mind the reason the offense wasn't performing was because of Parcells coaching... Parcells wanted a game-management, ball control type of offense not built on a gun-slinging of the type of Romo, who BTW, was brought in by Payton... it is obviously evident from the way the Saints run their offense that his offense is perfectly suited for a QB like Romo...
  20. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    BTW, this idea that JG has no control is utter garbage considering Jerry brought in Garrett's whole freaking family in this organization. People are so blinded in their pro-Garrett... Passing game coordinator and director of pro-scouting... and the Garrett father... Even if we assume Jerry was the worst, Jerry isn't calliong plays on the sidelines and drawing up the offensive game-plan.