1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If we end up trading back in Round 1, opinions on drafting

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Woods, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    DJ Fluker to play OG? And he could provide insurance at RT in case of injury.

Fluker is a massive, though not a fat, player. While he may not have the feet to be a high quality RT, he may have the body size, personality, and sufficient agility to be a better OG in the NFL.

Again, I am not advocating drafting him at 18. But maybe with a trade down to the mid/late-20s, for example, if the staff is looking to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Also, if we do end up trading back a few spots in Round 1 this year, here are a few other guys who may be available and may be interesting to us:

D Jones, DE
    X Rhodes, CB - but he is 6-1 and 217 lbs and physical. Can he play Safety?
    A Ogletree, LB
    K Vaccaro, S
    K Short, DT
    J Hankins, DT
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,091 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Not sure how I feel about drafting a guy in the 1st round for a position hes never played before. He could probably make the transition given his size and strength, but its still definitely a risk.

I'm personally still believe that Cooper would still be there around 25ish so he would be my 1st target. After that I would look at names like(in no order) Sam Montgomery, Alex Okafor, Kawann Short, Alec Ogletree, Matt Elam, and Barrett Jones. Obviously it depends on how far we trade back and who is still on the board.
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,547 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    no thanks. Fluker is way to slow and heavy footed to play OG in zone blocking scheme.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    When players like Warford and Fluker don't have a place in a system, it is time to change the system.
  6. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,547 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    no its time to draft the players that do fit the system. Cooper fits the system and is better than both of these players. Dallas Thomas, Brian Winters, also fir this system.

you go and change the system then those guys don't fit it. Stick with what you have just draft the players that can play it.
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    If we trade back in round 1, there will be better guards available then Fluker.

Hell, fluker might just be there at our 2nd round pick anyway.
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    They have one lineman that can play either system. That is Tyron. The two free agents are not zone blocking lineman. It would be easier to use a system that fits the players. When you force a player to play in a system that doesn't fit the talent, you are asking for trouble. Even the backups such as Leary don't fit a zone blocking system. It is smarter to change the system back to man blocking than to replace all but one lineman. They can use some zone concepts with players such as Flucker. It has been done with sucess. The 90's Cowboys come to mind. A more recent example would be the 49ers who used some zone blocking on a couple of plays about 10 min ago.
  10. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Woods if we trade back I hope we can pick up Barrett Jones that would hush a lot of talk about the Oline(he could be elite at the guards position and center). I like Fluker just not at 18 or the first rd.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I don't think Flucker or Jones is first round talent. Jones's stock seems to be dropping. He might be there as low as the top of the third if his slide continues. I think Flucker might be gone by the mid-second. So much can change at the combine to change things.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,686 Messages
    5,836 Likes Received
    I'll fix it for him:

Fluker is way too slow and heavy footed.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    He would be a great guard. Maybe a decent backup right tackle. It is hard to say for sure. Cordy Glenn was stamped with the label of being better at guard and he is a starting LT. Osmele is playing guard for the Ravens, but he did a good job of filling in at RT this year for the Ravens. He was too slow footed for tackle as well, but he was better at right tackle than Free. These big guys get the slow label too fast in some cases. I think the combine will give a hint if Fluker can make the transition to NFL tackle.
  14. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

990 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Larry Warford ..

Trade back between spot 28-31 and draft Larry Warford..:)
  15. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If we could get 1 quality OL in FA and pick up a player like B Jones, I think our OL will be good enough to help our team take the next step into the playoffs. I'm not saying the OL will be elite, but they could be "good".

Unless someone we really want drops to us at 18, I hope we have the opportunity to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.
  16. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    If we trade back and pick up Jones and some other picks we have worked the draft correctly. If there is a free fall by one of the elite we need to keep the pick and hope like hell someone else drops to us at 47. The longer I look at this draft the more I realize Sheldon Richardson will not be available at 18 his next closest talent is Kawaan Short, Sheldon is a natural 3 technique and Kawaan Short works hard to be one. We are empty in our arsenal at Valley Ranch for someone with these talents IMO. I would use the same argument for the talent that Barrett Jones possesses, I am leaning towards keeping Tony clean in his maturing years as no heir apparent is on the horizon. You keep Tony upright and we can stay in most games. These are two positions with very little glamour and most times rookies fail to fully contribute in year one so I am not expecting any miracles like Tyron and Mo have produced, we are picking at 18 and need some magic(like Matt Johnson being a starting safety).
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    As always, this stuff depends on how the draft is falling on draft day.

If guy is sitting the that we have graded muc higher than the guys below him, then we are failing badly by trading back.
    If there are a bunch of guys grouped together (and in areas of need) sitting there when our pick is approaching, then not much risk in treading down.
  18. Tex

Tex Active Member

558 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    You dont spend a 1'st round pick on a slow footed tackle you hope can play guard or a cornerback you hope can become a safety for sakes.

We need proven football players ready to step in and play at a position they know already and WE KNOW that they can play and succeed in. Mid 20's should still get a very good guard or center that knows how to play that position. We dont need to take flyers on guys in the first round. Thats a plan for the 4'th or 5'th round maybe not mid 20's in the first. Heck I'm not thrilled about it in the 4'th round either.

Tex
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    Disagree. It's a fundamental argument, but I don't see why you can't tweak the system in order to accommodate great players. JG's greatest failure is his inability to do so, but the best coaches, like BB, can adjust their system to make players succeed.
  20. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,686 Messages
    5,836 Likes Received
    Coaches should make tweaks to accommodate players that are already on the roster.

In order to justify drafting a player that does not fit the system, that player would have to be clearly better than any other players available. How often does that happen? If the player is clearly that good, then somebody probably picked him before he got to your teams pick. I'm not saying that it would never happen, but not often enough to be worth discussing.