1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If we get out of cap hell in 2013 & let Spencer walk

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Feb 17, 2013.

1. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,108 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    What type of contract do you guys think it will take to sign Andy Levitre?
  2. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,704 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be surprised if they tagges Andy....if not, he joins the list (for me) of guys to consider if they have money:

Levitre
    Long
    Melton

to answer your question, Andy would be pretty expensive, and rightfully so...probably out of our ability to sign him (much like Melton)..Long? perhaps he could be signed
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,313 Messages
    4,847 Likes Received
    Between Nicks (9.5M average) and Grubbs (7.2M average) from last year.

3/14/2012: Signed a five-year, $47.5 million contract. The deal contains $31 million guaranteed, including a $6 million first-year reporting bonus and all of Nicks' first two base salaries.

3/14/2012: Signed a five-year, $36 million contract. The deal contains $15.9 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus and all of his first two base salaries.
  4. GoCowboysGo

GoCowboysGo Active Member

977 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    I hate that every off season the fans here, and maybe the Cowboys as well, seem to want to sign big name FA's to big time contracts instead of doing the homework needed to find players who are solid pros, not "potential" pro bowlers or HOF-ers.

The team seems to keep striking out when signing interior FA's, it's hard for me to tell if the scouts are doing their homework and where the roles of the GM and S. Jones fit in that process.

Once again, I find that the Cowboys need to sign O and D linemen and at least one safety. Now, we also need a WR, CB, and LB.

Why do I have the feeling we will pick a TE in the first round? I just don't feel too optimistic about how this offseason is going to go, but I hope I'm wrong.

Hard to blame fans for being down when the same issues are ignored season after season and getting the same mediocre results with a minimal number of possible HOF-ers on this team (unlike Staubach and Aikman's eras).
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Buffalo will get something done with levitre before FA starts and will franchise Byrd
  6. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Benched

968 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    So you suggest signing a bunch of bum/space fillers like we did last season. Macenzy, Livings, Connors, Spears, Pool.........not a one of those bums from last year should be on this team next year Mac and Livings only return because there contracts dont allow us to cut ties with them. I go quality over quantity every time.

Signing a guy who could solidify a spot is much more important than signing a bunch of backups who their original teams wanted nothing to do with in the first place.

We keep striking out signing fa offensive lineman because we keep going the cheap route as opposed to brining in a stud like Levitre. 9 yards per carry for Spiller running behind this guy and 8.2 for Fred Jax running behind him. The guy could pass block with the best of them and can slide to almost any spot on the line. Pay the man. We can't go into the draft without an established RG and RT!!!!!!! We need to SOLIDIFY one of those spots prior.
  7. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Benched

968 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    To add to that, there are something like 40-50 guys who are younger and cheaper that will fight it out in camp to fill from 5-8 roster spots.
  8. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,909 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    It's impossible to get out of cap hell and build your team through free agents such as Levitre, so I am kind of confused with what you are trying to do. The best and only way to avoid cap hell is to build through the draft. We can resign or franchise Spencer and get out of cap hell eventually by building through the draft. Really, we should only be purchasing big free agents when it is time to get the team over the final couple of humps needed for success. I do like Carr though haha.
  9. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    It blows my mind how often people claim we are in cap hell and then proceed to name a big ticket free agent they want us to sign.
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Levitre is one of 5 guys on the Buffalo OL.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,313 Messages
    4,847 Likes Received
    Yes, the hard work is finding the good contributors that can be signed to reasonable contracts.

I have asked before, but got no response. Has anyone really watched a lot of Bills games and really evaluated Levitre. Is he a great fit in the Zone Blocking Scheme that Callahan is trying to implement?
  12. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,649 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    I don't know if the Cowboys would even want Levitre (they traded down when he was drafted) but 5 yrs 36 million wouldn't break the bank as far as the cap is concerned.
  13. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    That seems reasonable as there are currently only 4 OG making $7+ mil per, though I wonder if Levitre thinks he deserves to be in the top 2 or 3 factoring in how both young and good he is. Nicks makes $12.5 mil, then a big dropoff to the #2 guy Davin Joseph who makes $9.5 mil, then another big dropoff to the #3 guy Chris Snee who makes $7.9 mil. Think Levitre might be looking for at least between what Joseph and Snee are making.
  14. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,716 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    if Andy was signed fans would start crying once his contract affected the cap and they would blame jerry

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Clearly they were wrong about him or the 3 other OL that were taken shortly after their pick.

Not sure why that would factor in. I doubt they would have traded had they known he was going to become a good player.
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,649 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    They may have changed their minds on him but it's possible they just don't like his skills as much as fans do.
  17. zekecowboy

zekecowboy Member

65 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Dallas will not sign high priced free agents. Even with reworking contracts they will not have enough money. If they do it, it will affect them with some of there players down the road. Sean Lee