1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If we select a center/guard in Round 3....

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,333 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    If we select a center or guard where we are currently slated to pick, what can we reasonably expect to get in returns on the field THIS year....and second, how much of an improvement would it be over what we currently have on the interior THIS YEAR?
  2. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    I think we could reasonably expect that pick to at least contend for a starting spot and provide quality depth this season.

Best case is that the pick is an opening day starter.

Just curious, why limit the discussion to this year alone though?
  3. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,779 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I don't think the Cowboys view an OL with a 3rd grade as an immediate contributor. So unless the player outperforms his grade, he's probably not having much impact in year one.

The Cowboys only usually have seven OL's active for a game, so an OL needs to play multiple positions if he's not starting. So that rookie would need to be able to play both G and C to be on the active roster if he's not a starter.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,417 Messages
    6,472 Likes Received
    Great question.

It's probably the single worst way you can approach a draft.
  5. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Just for kicks, here's a list of interior OL that have been drafted in the last five years in the third round with a quick write up:

Jeremy Zuttah, TB, 2008. Started five games his rookie season, 60 starts in career thus far.

Antoine Caldwell, Hou 2009. I'll be honest; I know nothing about this guy. Part time player perhaps? 19 career starts including a handful his rookie year.

Louis Vasquez, SD, 2009. Day 1 starter, 54 total starts.

Kraig Urbek, Pitt, 2009. Steelers released him after one year, starter for the Bills thereafter. They just resigned him.

Jon Asamoah, KC, 2010. Started one game his rookie year, full time starter thereafter.

Mike Johnson, Atl. 2010. Backup.

John Moffitt, Sea, 2010. Started nine games his rookie year before getting injured.

Will Rackney, JAX, 2011. Day 1 starter. Missed 2012.

Josh LeRibeus, Wash, 2012. Active for a handful of games, no starts.

Brandon Brooks, Hou, 2012. Active for a handful of games, no starts.

Tony Bergstrom, Oak, 2012. Started one game last year, transitioning from OT.

Looking at this (admittedly unscientific) list, I count 5-6 starters, 2-3 solid depth guys, and one or two "busts" (who are both labelled only as busts because they didn't contribute their rookie seasons)

Hard to believe a OL pick in the third round couldn't help Dallas immediately, nevermind the future.
  6. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Good post, good thread.

I do believe that with the depth of O-line in this years draft combined with the total weakness of what we currently have on the roster there is a significant opportunity to receive a player who could immediately start and positively contribute throughout the season.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,417 Messages
    6,472 Likes Received
    Absolutely.

This is a weak draft overall, IMO....but the strength of it matches perfectly with the Cowboys' most critical needs. If they really wanted to, I think they could easily get two immediate starters along the OL. I'm hoping they at least get one on each line. The talent's there in the top 50.
  8. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Naw, we will hear how he needs a year or two in the weight room before he is ready.

No third round pick is going to help this Oline next year. If we don't spend #1 or #2 on the line, we will be in the same place. Preferably #1.
  9. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,258 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    Disagree. Draft may not be top heavy at all. But that's good for us. It's a very deep draft. Plenty of talent in this class.
  10. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,797 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    If you consider our drafting history, it isn't likely we can expect any returns on an offensive lineman we pick in the third round. We can hope that we get lucky, but we haven't gotten lucky with OL picks in that round (Robert Brewster, James Marten, Stephen Peterman, Steve Scifres, Clay Shiver, George Hegamin, James Brown) since we drafted Erik Williams in 1991, the same year we also draft another failed lineman James Richards in the third round (six spots ahead of Williams). Hegamin was a decent reserve at least and Peterman went on to start for Detroit.

I always hope for the best, but the draft is truly a crapshoot and has been even more so for Dallas when it comes to drafting OL.
  11. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,797 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    BTW, we've only been successful with about half of our second-round linemen in that time period: Andre Gurode, Flozell Adams, Larry Allen.

Compared to Al Johnson, Jacob Rogers, Solomon Page, Shane Hannah.

So I think if we're going to fix the line, we need to make it a priority and pick up a lineman in the first round.

(Strangely, we haven't used a second-round pick on a defensive lineman since Kavika Pittman in 1996, but we seem better overall at drafting DL than OL after the first round: Tyrone Crawford, Sean Lissemore, Jason Hatcher and Jay Ratliff all have been added since 2005, with the only real miss being Montavious Stanley.)
  12. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,333 Messages
    134 Likes Received

Why limit the discussion to next year? How about our offensive line needs to be fixed immediately? I don't know about you, but I personally don't want to have to wait a couple of years for a lineman to contribute.

So, as I see it, if a third round OL can't be reasonably expected to start THIS SEASON, then I think we will either have to draft one in the first or second round, get one in free agency OR get used to watching Romo run for his life and watch our running backs get tackled behind the line of scrimmage frequently.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    we suck basketballs through garden hoses picking O line lower then second round