1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If we take Coples: Position?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by texbumthelife, Apr 22, 2012.

1. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    If Coples slides to 14 and we decide to make him our first round pick, what position will it be to play? Will he be a stand up OLB or a hand on the ground 3-4 DE?

I still don't think he is worth the 14th pick but as it becomes more and more likely I find myself more intrigued.
  2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,506 Messages
    2,914 Likes Received
    I think in Ryan's scheme he would be a better DE.
  3. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,888 Messages
    249 Likes Received

I think a lot of people are gonna regret passing on Coples. I know I'm in the minority here, but if he's undrafted at #14, I sprint to the podium and change that. He'd play DE in Ryan's scheme, with the flexibility to stand up in some packages.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,100 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    Yeah I'm a big Coples fan as well. I see a little Julius Peppers in him. He needs some coaching and guidance, but the talent and size that can't be taught is all there.
  5. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,316 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    I'm with ya, I think the dude is gonna beast. Putting him in front of Spencer might free Almost Anthony up to get a few more sacks.
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,593 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    I have been cheerleading for this pick ever since I heard he might be dropping out of the top 10.

The kid has major ability and we just have to harness it.

Where were the motor complaints before this past year? You don't suddenly lose your motor. I think he underperformed because he lost his mentor and was dejected. This happens to humans once in awhile.

In a more positive atmosphere I bet the light comes back on and he starts beasting again on the field.

We desperately need another impact defender in the front 7 and there is only one candidate at the DE position this year.

My answer to the OP is he puts on 10 pounds and plays DE beside Ware.
  7. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,185 Messages
    657 Likes Received
    I see him on the ground vs. standing myself.

Still worried about his motor.
  8. blandi60

blandi60 Member

59 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Didn't our D line coach spend a month at UNC before coming here.I wonder if he has a good/bad evaluation on his play/motor.
  9. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,152 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    I've been coming around on Coples lately...if he's there at #14 it will be hard to pass up on that talent.

Last year was a tough year for NC, with the firing of Coach Davis and turmoil surrounding the program.
  10. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,070 Messages
    958 Likes Received
    If Davis tells the Cowboys that Coples motor concerns are minimal, absolutely take a`chance on Coples.

The last thing I want on the team is another content player. And if Coples is one of those guys, no thanks. However, sometimes players get a red flag wrongfully attached to them and it sticks because ppl just repeat it over and over (like calling Barron an in-the-box S). This happens especially during the draft season, and one of the things that makes draft success appear random. Everything, good and bad, needs to be taken w/ a grain of salt
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,709 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I don't know which one is worse Brockers or Coples...

Here's PFW's take on Coples:

Marginal competitor — left a lot of production on the field and does not apply himself. Will let his pads rise and play tall. Does not sell out around piles. Lackadaisical, half-hearted effort and backside pursuit — shut it down as a senior to preserve his body and was playing not to get hurt. Led the ACC in loafs. Marginal 20-yard shuttle (4.79 seconds) and 3-cone time (7.61 seconds) at the Combine. Has a sense of entitlement and too often relies on his natural talent. Immature.

Led the ACC in "loafs".

No thanks to either this kid or Brockers.
  12. 30yrheel

30yrheel Well-Known Member

2,747 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    pass on coples. i've watched every unc game for many years and that guy is on the all-time lazy list of players.
  13. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,913 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    Coples has latent talent but the problem is having to pull it out of him, the guy does not play with passion and looks half asleep most of the time.

However, Jerry and company may look at his talent and take the risk, especially considering the fact of the value if he falls to #14.

I would look at other players but this is Jerry we are talking about so the selection is possible.
  14. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He would play DE in a 3-4 and probably some DE and DT in four man fronts. Rotational guy at best early on. Potential is there but I'm not counting on it. Too rich at #14 for sure.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,633 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    He is 6'6 and has a frame that can add 20+ lbs, no problem. He can play 3-4 DE end, imo.

Coples has superstar potential.
    I'd take Cox ahead of him just b/c of the questions...but Coples' upside is much greater and he's already very good.
  16. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Fetal.

Oh........you meant him...
  17. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,506 Messages
    2,914 Likes Received

Yea, the guy looked totally disinterested at UNC last year so I would be very weary of taking him at 14. If the guy is not going 100% in college, what do you think is going to happen when you give him a couple of million dollars?