1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If you could improve three areas of team for last 7 games, what would they be?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by newlander, Nov 12, 2012.

1. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    1. For me I would say we should cut WAY down on penalties: 5 or less per game. Especially the pre snap penalties that are similar to a high school team.
    2. Secondly, I'd say that if we could have complete HEALTH for Murray, JRat, Costa, etc...and not incur any more injuries we could actually go 10-6.
    3. Starting to play WELL at home and with heart, passion and URGENCY. My GOSH it's been brutal since we opened that place. I don't blame the fans for being quiet: what the heck have they had to cheer about?
  2. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,698 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    1. red zone offense
    2. red zone offense
    3. red zone offense
  3. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1) GM/owner
    2) Coaching staff
    3) everything else gets resolved by those two changes (oline, play calling, penalties, talent, complacency, etc.)
  4. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1. OL. They have no ability to impose heir will. If the defense gets the play call right, it's basically like watching poachers club baby seals.

2. Stupidity. This goes for players and coaches alike. Penalties, game awareness, etc.

3. Injuries. I want Lee, Church, and Murray back...and for no further significant injuries.

/fantasy land
  5. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,274 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    1. Offense
    2. Defense
    3. Special Teams
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    1. You're not going to fix the OL. The players aren't good. But I'd like to see more draws and delays in the running game like we did against the Eagles. Also more screens. Even reverses. Just make a bigger attempt to manufacture a run game to lessen the load on the QB. This is going to be important as we head into December. It always is.

2. A little more blitzing. I think we can get more aggressive getting after the QB. Send Bruce Almighty. He's got the speed. Ernie Sims too. Show me some corner blitz with Scandrick like we used to. He excels at it.

3. Penalties. We simply can not afford to give yards away. That has to get corrected for any chance of making the playoffs.
  7. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

877 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Ditto!!
  8. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

6,105 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Turnovers
    Penalties
    Blocking by the OL
  9. D29Murray

D29Murray New Member

378 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1) Pass Protecting
    2) Run Blocking
    3) Pressure opposing QBs
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,092 Messages
    4,567 Likes Received
    Scoring
    Scoring
    Scoring

We were scoring about 18 per and that's up but those were not offensive points. If we don't start scoring 25 or more a game then we're going no where.

If you want to discuss how then we can go there.
  11. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,732 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    1. Hc
    2. Oc
    3. Gm
  12. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,278 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    turnovers

converting short yardage

getting the other team off the field in 3rd and long.
  13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,965 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    I like this thread, and since it is asking for the final 7 games I am going to answer in how I would real-world like to see it done (not some nonsense "Improve the OL" which, for the last 7 games of the season, resides in the magical world of elves and eskimos*)

1) I revisit a hurry up mode with a 12 set but with some new springlings. Romo has the ability to slide TE and back protection toward the pressure and still have Witten/Austin and Bryant out on routes. I'd actually experiment with Witten and Austin on a tight formation with Bryant split out wide. I'd REALLY like to see this in the redzone because we MUST start scoring points. I don't know that an actual run game is possible, even with Murray back, when we need it. So let's get some yardage in short passing scenarios.

2) Adopt a 2-man under scheme. We played this to GREAT success against the Giants, despite Sensabaugh being crappy in zone and McCray being less effective away from the line of scrimmage. It doesn't quite generate turnovers, but it stifles an offense. We are better in man coverage and I think Claiborne in particular gets less nervous when he knows he has help. If we had better safeties we could take more chances, but right now we just have to play straight up. I echo what Risen Star says on the bliitzing; I think most here would be surprised at how very little we send more than 4 people. It just needs to be hidden well.

3) Learn to run out of the shotgun. For all the lipservice Garrett plays to balanced offense (which is both silly because our team doesn't have the line to get a push on running plays and our receivers are just plain unreliable), at least call a draw or screen or even an offtackle from the shotgun. It may not ALWAYS be effective, but if you really want to make the defense respect you from that formation, show them that you are willing to attempt anything to get yards.
  14. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,500 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    1. Offensive Coordinator.
    2. Center & Right Tackle
    3. Wide Receiver
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,743 Messages
    5,903 Likes Received
    1. Costa comes back causing the OL to play like it did against the Ravens,especially in the running game.

2. Free goes to the bench after his next false start and Parnell dominates at RT with stunning athleticism.

3. Kowalski replaces either OG and Callahan exclaims that he is most talented Zone-Blocking-Scheme OG that he's ever coached.

If I had a 4th , it would that Arkin goes all-in on undetectable Roids.
  16. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,500 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    Lets go with HGH. Those are undetectable und whats more you go from Superman (the way you feel with with Roids) straight to God (the way you feel with HGH).

But i am pretty sure he's already on that stuff.
  17. Hagman

Hagman Put Niland and Green in the ROH

1,272 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Penalties.
    Turnovers.
    Special team play
  18. spolcyc

spolcyc Member

93 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1. Offense
    2. Defense
    3. Special teams
  19. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,075 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    1. Pass offense
    2. Pass defense
    3. Situational coaching decisions
  20. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,078 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Offense, Defense, and Special Teams.

Not sure if anyone said it yet, but it seems to me to be the obvious response.