1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If you think losing = higher draft picks = more future success

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Red Dragon, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,834 Messages
    891 Likes Received
    It's not really rooting for losses per-say. That is kind of a childish argument. However, if short-term losses are a byproduct of a true rebuilding program e.g...

Top-down integrated new coaching staff - not Jerry's piecemeal BS; trading still productive veterans for future picks; taking pre-June cap hits to free up resources for subsequent years - etc.

I'd take that over perpetually extending aged veterans in their twilight seasons and retaining incredibly ineffective coaches that you are comfortable with in order to string .500 seasons together with the hope that season ticket holders won't be quite embarrassed enough to relinquish their seats - because "we were just one win away from getting into the playoffs."
    CowboyFan4Eva and visionary like this.
  2. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

1,117 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    Yes. That's likely to happen given Jerry's history.
    Haven't we been there before in the Campo years?
    Is that really what your hoping to happen?
    Realism
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Actually, yeah. Just losing won't do the trick. The team has to hit rock bottom. The team needs to get embarrassed, a la the saints games a few times. Then hopefully the seats will start to be empty...THEN true changes MAY happen.

When the bottom line is being screwed with, Jerry will start to think about changing.

So, yes. I hope this team loses. I hope they lose every game, by as much as possible
  4. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,834 Messages
    891 Likes Received
    What are your hopes for this team?
  5. Carharris2

1,117 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    Your scenario is less realistic than mine of us making the playoffs and continuing to build into a younger team while staying competitive. Then eventually taking that step.
    Maybe we are taking that step now. That's even more real auto than thinking Jerry(the Cowboys) will change.
  6. Carharris2

1,117 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    To make the playoffs. Get hot and win at least one game.
    Continue getting younger. Possibly make more coaching changes and win a Super Bowl. While becoming a long term good team.
  7. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,702 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    Put this in the dictionary, as an example, under the entry for "bandwagon-riding fan"...
  8. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    I'll tell you what I'm hoping to happen, and then I'll ask for the same from you.

I hope this team tanks.

I hope it fails utterly and completely.

So completely that our modern-day version of Al Davis realizes that he can't fix it.

He realizes that the way he wants to do things is a recipe for failure.

That 18 years of failure and the bottom falling out is finally enough for him.

That he focuses on being a great owner and business man and leave running the on-filed stuff to people who know better.

But I refuse to hold on and simply 'hope' that things will 'somehow turn out better' like so many fans feel is their obligation to do.
  9. stasheroo

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Sure.

Based on getting wiped off the field 49-17 and completely embarrassed while getting a mercy killing from a former coach sure looks promising to me.

Very 'realistic'.

We're taking 'steps' all right, all of them in the wrong direction.
  10. Carharris2

1,117 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    You have no obligation. Nether do I. I choose to pull for my team to win. You have a right to root for your team to fail.
    That seems directly opposite of what many fans like to do.
    Aren't you " hoping"in your completely "realistic" scenario that things "will somehow turn out better"?
    Are you paying attention to what you're writing.
    This is how realistic adults approach "pulling for their team"
    It is childish to expect everything you want to happen will.
    Also, foolish to mock people for hoping when that's exactly what you're doing.
  11. Carharris2

1,117 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    I don't think they were completely embarrassed given all the injuries. We were up when Lee went down.
    I'm guessing you cheered for that to further your rebuilding plan.
    It is embarrasing how some fans act. Only on the internet around other fans. It would even embarrass you if you acted that way around adult fans.
  12. stasheroo

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    There's no doubt that ultimately we both wish for our team to do better.

I just have 17 years of futility on my side to show that the Jerry Way doesn't work.

So, you're the 'realistic adult', I'm 'childish', and yet somehow I'm 'mocking' you?

The hypocrisy and ignorance of some people knows no bounds.

:rolleyes:
  13. stasheroo

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    I'm not embarrassed at all, I don't accept or cheer for mediocrity.

I have an opinion and ideas that extend beyond a 'blanket of hope' that entails no actual thinking or ideas.

But for that, I as a fan get criticized for not accepting mediocrity rather than actually criticizing the folks responsible for it.

Funny how that works?
  14. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Somebody gets it
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,332 Messages
    4,879 Likes Received
    All teams have a higher percentage of success with higher picks. There have been article in the past that showed proof of it.

The really high 2nd round pick is also very important, it's not just the top 10 1st round pick that matters.

I wouldn't try to lose; however, if a team is out of the race they might as well cut veterans that they know won't be back the following year.

One area besides the draft where an 8-8 team misses out is the opportunity to sign players from other teams practice squads. There's a high probibility that each team has at least 1 good player on the practice squad. A losing team can cut veterans and special teams only players and add the PS players from other teams. Regardless of a teams scouting prowess, the more players added the higner the probibility that they hit on some of them.
  16. Carharris2

1,117 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    i said you were mocking people for hoping for a change when that's what you're doing. Read the posts.
    I'm being an adult about my expectations as a fan. I have no trouble lowering my standard to debate children if need be.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Most of the teams that are terrible year after year even with high draft picks don't have a QB. That's not the case here.

And for a lot of people, the high pick isn't a reason to prefer 6-10 to 8-8. It's to make clear to Jerry that he needs a new coach.
  18. Carharris2

1,117 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    Only cheering for your team when it's above mediocre?See. They call that bandwagoning in sports circles.
    Don't accept it ! March down to the stadium and say" I don't accept the is mediocrity. "
    Or just sit around and hope for failure to bring about change. Both will accomplish the same.
    I'm not happy with Jerry or Jason.
    Im realistic and not a fair weather fan or tantrum throwing kid.
  19. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Tell that to the Spurs, 49ers, Chief, Seattle and the Colts.
  20. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,702 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    Are you trying to make yourself look bad by giving bad examples? The Spurs have consistently won and outdrafted other teams with late first round and second round picks, which are like sixth round picks in the NFL. The Colts have won 9 out of the last 11 AFC South titles so they have also kept their team relevant with lower picks. The 49ers were a miserable team for a decade and are an example of a poor rebuilding job, not a good one. Please try again.