1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If you think losing = higher draft picks = more future success

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Red Dragon, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

833 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    So if we get good and nothing changed,as far as leadership will you stop being a "fan". How exactly would you handle that if we somehow got good without your powerful stance against the team?
    Can you please actually answer the questions. I am being serious. How would you handle that if we somehow got good without your powerful stance against the team?
    Can you please actually answer the questions. I being serious.
    You're not answering this master intellect
  2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,305 Messages
    2,036 Likes Received
    I bet if a poll was taken, the majority of the fan base would take a 0-16 season if it guaranteed Garrett would get fired.

Yea, I know Jerry is a problem too, but he is not going anywhere since he owns the freaking team.....................next best alternative is to get a head coach that can win despite Jerry............that is a proven winner, not some lackey learning on the job.
    Trajan likes this.
  3. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    550 Likes Received
    The higher your draft position, the higher the possibility of finding the next Sean lee's and Dez Bryant's of the world. We're not going to be relevant in the near future. If we lose to the giants, I suggest tanking for a top ten draft pick.
  4. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

833 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    This is what I figured would happen. Faced with a question you can't answer ignore. Great argument you make. Please don't threaten to unfriend me or not follow me.
    You have trouble holding your own in an internet discussion.
    Answer the question.
    What will you do if we get good without the changes you demand? Will you jump back on or stay consistent ?
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,873 Messages
    3,342 Likes Received
    For example?
  6. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Anecdotal instances seem to be the excuse du jour for politicians in regard to legislation.

Troy Aikman is an example of a first over-all pick that succeeded. This game can be played all day long and in the end there is a reason teams rank players for the draft. That reason is backed up mostly by paychecks.

So if we were to boil down the draft, it is about slotting for the team's financial outlay to acquire said player.

The only point I find has merit of the tired argument you illustrated is this management and how they fare with picking winners and losers.

But there is a core issue here that goes beyond drafting that is as evident as the hubcaps on Dolly Parton.

Until a core change has been made in management, and their world view in regard to the NFL changes, playing for the high picks is like putting your money on the crap table.

Sometimes even the unlucky can hit a winner.

But drafting players with less talent because of the management - even with the coming, "Hey dude, but what about Romo," arguments, it is a speedy way to find mediocrity as we have witnessed for most of the last seventeen years.
  7. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,276 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    I will never stop being a fan. I'm a Cowboys fan forever.

They're my team.

They were at 1-15, during the 90's, through three consecutive 5-11 seasons, and I'm still a fan through this downturn too.

Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

And if your scenario were to come true?

I'd be happy to be wrong about things.

I've been wrong plenty of times before and I will be again.

I can handle that.
  8. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,305 Messages
    2,036 Likes Received
    How about a head coach that has actually taken a team to the SuperBowl, not just read about it......................like Lovie Smith, Jon Gruden, Mike Holmgreen, Bill Cowher.

Those are the caliber of head coaches we should be looking at, not some QB coach on some scrub team that has never set in the captain's chair before.
  9. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,603 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    If I'm not mistaken, not a single NFL head coach has ever won a Super Bowl with one team and then gone on to win another Super Bowl with another team. Success often doesn't just follow like that.
  10. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

932 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Didn't Don Shula do it with the Colts and then later with the Dolphins (twice)?
  11. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,838 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    Shula got there, but didnt win it with the Colts.
  12. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

932 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    That's right. Super Bowl III. I thought he was still coach in Super Bowl V.
  13. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,468 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Its not just getting a higher draft pick, sometimes you just need to hit bottom to realize you are doing things the wrong way. Its a wake up call.
  14. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    You keep mentioning the 49ers as this terrible rebuilding example over and over again, but it doesn't really hold water.

Dallas's average record from 2000-2010 was 8-8 right on the nose.

San Francisco's was 7-9.

They both won one playoff game during that time frame, and the 49ers, of course, have been an contending team for the last three years and are primed to be good for a long while yet.

As "miserable" as the 49ers were, they were -- on average -- one game worse than Dallas on a yearly basis.
  15. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,167 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    i woudnt say its possible, but i would like to see one draft pick stop listening this coaching staff and start making players play and hold them accountable.
  16. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,602 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    After you manipulate the numbers to fit your argument, yes. If you start with their rock bottom 2-14 season in 2004 as a logical point of rebuilding, then no. In truth, neither of us knows when they started or even if they ever did at some point say "we're rebuilding". All I know is if you did, and then you miss the playoffs 9 years in a row, then you failed miserably -- even if you eventually do get it right.

Even after that, and all their picks, they sit a nice 1 game above our non-rebuilding franchise. Nice job, 49ers!
  17. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    I'm using the "decade of rebuilding" time frame that you've repeatedly mentioned. You want me to start with 2004 and go to present day and include their Superbowl appearance? I have a feeling the numbers will look even worse. You're the one manipulating the stats here buddy, not me.

The simple fact of the matter is the 49ers spent nowhere near a decade rebuilding. They had 2 truly awful seasons and a handful of mediocre seasons post Young/Garcia, and as another poster pointed out, that laid the ground work for the team they have now.

Which I would take over the present edition of the Cowboys in a New York minute.
  18. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,603 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Many NFL fans exaggerate the relative value of the ranking of a draft pick. They treat the No. 11 overall pick in the first round in the NFL as if it is somehow enormously, vastly superior to the No. 18 overall pick in the first round.

Is there a difference? Yes. Is it really greatly substantial? No.