1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If you were GM

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dupree89, Nov 15, 2013.

1. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

651 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I'm wit you on that. But I WOULD invest in OL, DL and QB. Reason being with a good OL any running back would be decent. With a good Qb he could make a WR or TE and sell tickets and the DL could mask some D backs flaws not all
  2. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,365 Messages
    1,521 Likes Received
    Not that I disagree with you. I don't.
    I do believe I've gone on record saying I think your succinctly correct in your opinions on the team.

But I feel the compunction to ask- from your strong opinion on the acquisition of talent concerning the CB position, it has me wondering what your thoughts are on the acquisition of talent of their distinct rivals across the line- WR's?
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,323 Messages
    4,851 Likes Received
    I would go all in on the OLine. My goal would be to have the best, most dominate OLine in the history of football. I would try to have backups that are better than many teams starters.

You must have a QB. I would just tank 1 season to get the #1 overall pick and get the top rated QB that year. I would sign Free Agent OLinemen to get that unit up to speed immediately. I don't want my QB taking the abuse that normally comes with a rebuilding team. I would also draft top quality OLinemen to develop behind the Free Agents.

I think RBs are important but you don't necessarily have to get them early in the draft. If I had a chance at a game changer like Adrian Peterson, I wouldn't hesitate to draft him. Most likely I would draft one in the 2nd to 4th rounds and some more in the later rounds.

My 2nd priority after OLine and a QB would be the remainder of the offense. I would try to build a dominant offense at the expense of the defense. Defenses can generally be developed more quickly than offenses. I would just get by on defense until the offense was as dominant as possible with all available resources. If the defense has to be minimum wage street free agents in the beginning, then so be it.

Once I had a dominant offense, then I would start focusing on the defense. My first priority would be the pass rush. My lowest priority would probably be the LBs in a 4-3 defense. CBs are important, but they just have to be solid. You don't have to have a Revis to win. If I could get a Deion, then I would, but I don't think there will ever be a guy that dominant in coverage and as a returner.
    dupree89 likes this.
  4. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Love the idea of having a dominant OL. Problem is trying to get it through FA. Too many times the player doesn't live up to the deal, and doesn't produce like he did for his former club.
  5. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,702 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    I think there is a "Moneyball" opportunity out there for the organization that can maintain a high level of QB play without giving one a ridiculous salary. Giving Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, etc. mega-deals has not delivered any Super Bowls, and pretty clearly that's also going to hold up for Flacco, Ryan and Romo.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    Very good question. You would think there would have to be a correlation between the two and I think there is to a point. With the rules these days though I think a quality WR can have a great impact on the team. I don't see any impact in a CB. He is far too reliant on the play around him to be successful. Otherwise it's just pitch and catch.

My stance has always been this. The CB position is impossible to play without a lot of help. I don't care how good you are, you will not consistently blanket a good WR running a crisp route and being thrown an accurate football from a comfortable QB. You need that mechanism interfered with through pressure. Otherwise teams will make enough plays on you to move the football down the field and put up points.
    Corso likes this.
  7. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

651 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Wow I think you may have hit on something esp of the seahawks or chiefs win the Super Bowl
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,323 Messages
    4,851 Likes Received
    Yes, that's why I just start with Free Agents and back it up with premium draft picks. I want to get to the point where Tyron and Fred are the 2 least talented players on the OL instead of the 2 most talented.

Actually, I might not need a Free Agent. Fred and Tyron are good. Leary is developing. Parnell could be much better than Free if they would just give him enough snaps. The final Guard spot could be filled immediately with a 1st round pick. Cyril Richardson (Baylor) looks like a dominant Guard. He is 6-5, 340 and had enough athleticism to play LT in 2012.

I would be OK starting 2014 with the following:
    Tyron
    Leary
    Fred
    C.Richardson
    Parnell

David Yankey in the 2nd would immediately compete with Leary.

If I can trade away some players, and get another 1st round pick, then I think Antonio Richardson (6-6, 330, LT, Tennessee) would be a dominant RT.

This is just for starters, I would continue to add OL until I have a dominant player at each position. The talent would be to the point that Tyron might end up as a backup.

My goal is an OLine that resembles the following players in their prime even if my defense is all high school players:

LT Walter Jones
    LG Larry Allen
    OC Dermontti Dawson
    RG Bruce Matthews
    RT Erik Williams
  9. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,365 Messages
    1,521 Likes Received
    Good answer- makes sense.
    Thank you.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    So in this era of the salary cap and limited funds to put together a roster I'm not spending premium resources on a CB. Ever. I'm going to try to find my QB, give him enough weapons and build those trenches. Hopefully I can compliment them with enough defensive backs on the cheap to make it work.

I do believe in the impact of a rangy FS. That guy plays with his eyes in the backfield and is in prime position to make plays. I'd love to have one in Dallas.
  11. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    I'd also take this offseason and clear the books of as many older, inflated contracts as I could. Ware, Witten, Austin. I like those guys, but their contracts are limiting too limiting, and we're not winning anything with them. I know we'd take a huge hit against the cap, and next season would likely be a bust, but it would clear a ton of space, that could be used to rebuild quickly. Of course, the next two drafts would have to be very successful.