1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If you were the general manager of this team and were given full power

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bungarian, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,194 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    The team as it is right now with no changes.

What changes would you make? Players? Personal... you can change anything.

Here are your orders from the owner: Give me a Superbowl team in 5 years or before. The owner will leave all decisions to you.

What do you do?

I am working on mine and thought this would be fun
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,880 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    I would close all message boards. :D
    mahoneybill and jobberone like this.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,050 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
  4. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,194 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    The first thing I would do is let this season go on as is. Not a lot to change mid season.

After the season I would fire the head coach and offensive coordinator. The defensive coaches I would leave for the new head coach to decide. He may keep them or bring in his own people. I would look for a proven winner at hq. Someone who has done it before and has a plan.

Draft wise I would go heavy on the trenches. OL and DL and perhaps LBers.
  5. Tractor1

Tractor1 Member

190 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I would build to be strong up the middle. Two interior linemen on offense and defense, and a safety that can cover. Cowboys already have a center, Mike LB, and QB.
    mahoneybill likes this.
  6. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Benched

97 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    I'd fire the entire coaching staff, trainers, scouts, everyone. Then hire the best HC available and let him have full control of hiring assistance and other staff. I'd also tell him that no players are sacred and that he can keep, cut, or trade anyone he wants to. Probably also work on a plan to sweat off the cap problems for one season so that a fresh start could be achieved. If this doesn't work then fire me, because the next guy might succeed where I failed.
    PA Cowboy Fan and nalam like this.
  7. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,656 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    I would write a 5-year contract for myself with eleventy-billion dollars of guaranteed money. I would not remember anything that happened after that.
    slomoxn, honyock, Corso and 1 other person like this.
  8. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,599 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    This is easy, I'd sign JG to a 10 year extension.

Craig
    nake likes this.
  9. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,607 Messages
    310 Likes Received
    I would hire a GM and tell him to run the scouting operation, the business operation, and manage the cap and contracts according to the players Garrett wanted on his team. I'd meet with Garrett and tell him his future and this football team is entirely in his hands. I would give him absolute authority over all the players and all the coaches and I'd tell him that the media will not even know what I look like.
  10. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,536 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    I'd fire Garrett and Callahan immediately
    dupree89 likes this.
  11. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,105 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    I would dedicate the Draft to D-Line and Safety. I don't care who is on the board....I'm going all in, on D-Line and Safety..only thing that could possibly get in the way, is a top flight corner. (not sold on MO)

I would let Romo, Dez, and Williams grow together another year, I would not pursue a WR.

After this I would go out and get a young, motivated, Defensive Coach.....I would also go out and get a young, Motivated, and creative minded Offensive Coordinator.

I would then get a fiery head coach...that would bring attitude to this team, and obviously knows what he is doing.
  12. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,341 Messages
    1,508 Likes Received
    Ridiculous. Who takes their place?

You just gave up on the season.
  13. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

941 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    But keep Kiffin?
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,907 Messages
    2,824 Likes Received
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha
  15. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,536 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    Kiffin's trotting out a makeshift defensive line every week. What's Garret/Callahan's excuse?
  16. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,001 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    I would immediately start looking for a head coaching candidate to replace Garrett at the end of the season. Whoever I brought in would be allowed to assemble his staff how he saw fit with no interference from me.

I would then begin looking at ways to engineer my own Herschel Walker type trade. Everyone on the roster including Dez is now on the trading block. If I was unable to trade marquee players with large salaries then I would cut them in year one. Guys like Ware, Romo, Carr etc are gone even if it means I can only field a 53 man roster with minimum wage players Next season.

This franchise has a losing culture and every player that is a part of it, for the good of the team long term, wont be here 12 months from now. I am building a winning franchise from the foundation up even if it means short term immediate obscurity.
  17. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

941 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    Well I don't care for any of the coaching staff besides Marinelli but the offensive line isn't exactly the Cowboys of the 90s
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,243 Messages
    1,170 Likes Received
    Undo a ton of bad contracts and the Claiborne trade. Those things get GM's fired that are held accountable. Hire a GM who earned the job, let them hire a HC who gets to name their own staff. Draft a franchise QB and pass rusher for starters
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,975 Messages
    1,357 Likes Received
    General ineptitude.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,957 Messages
    3,536 Likes Received
    Great. I get a vacation!