1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ignore defense entirely this offseason?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by erod, Jan 14, 2013.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    Should Dallas just ignore the defense altogether this offseason and draft?

Saturday, 149 points were scored in two games. Not a lick of defense to speak of. Pretty much the same thing yesterday outside of Patriots defense that stood up in stretches. The LOSING teams scored 35, 31, 28, and 28 points.

So why even bother spending big money and top picks on defense?

The read option is going to be especially unfair to defenses. Colin Kaepernick ran for 179 yards WITHOUT BEING TOUCHED ONCE. How is that possible in the NFL, to run 179 yards without someone so much as laying a finger on you? Literally, it did.

A quarterback can run around all over, then just when the hit is coming....sssslllliiiiiiiddddeeee to safety. Nary a hang nail. Add that to the four-inch tackle box defenders are allowed to hit a QB in the pocket, plus the bevy of creative ways to call interference/holding/contact on a defensive back, and I don't know exactly what a defensive coordinator is supposed to do.

So I implore Valley Ranch to draft and acquire offense, offense, offense. It's only logical.

Because that's football today in the Madden videogame world.
  2. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,823 Messages
    591 Likes Received
    I'm with you, 3 of the 4 remaining teams are in the bottom half of defensive rankings this year.

Just go out and try to build the best o line possible.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    We can't ignore the defense all together.

I doubt very seriously Dallas drafts Warmack. If they go OL it will be someone else and it will be in a trade down.

I imagine our 1st pick will be on the DL or Safety.

I'd love to see us pump about 75% of our resources into fixing this OL.

Im sure Leary, Costa, and Parnell are the changes that will be made though.
  4. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,530 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    This is why I think having speedy/Atheltic Linebackers will payoff huge. It will allow them to match up because of their speed. That's why I want to bring Sims back and team him up with Lee and Carter becuase those guys can fly to the ball and cover a lot of ground and I think this is what is going to help keep the Read Option in check is fast atheltic Linebackers who can fly to the ball. Also I think the FS becomes increasingly important as well. So if I am Dallas I draft the best possible safety in the 1st rd. Get the backside of the defense athletic and fast.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    Thought I'd fix that for you

I really do agree that we have to fix that O-line or we're going nowhere fast.
  6. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Besides a safety and DL, I would use this draft for offense only. OL/RB.

Once we get the "real" cap numbers we will have a better understanding of what we are playing with.

With a better OL and less injuries, this team could have won 10 games. We are not years away....hopefully JJ doesn't screw it up.
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Side note, seems like only yesterday when everyone was desperate to get Dom Capers in here...
  8. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Two of the best 3-4 coaches got torched for 45 and 41. I know every dog has it's fight, but I've never been a fan of the 3-4.

I don't know that any defense can be great in today's NFL with all the rules favoring the offense, but I think with our current personnel we stand a better chance of competing with Kiffin and a 4-3.

We shall see.

Fix the OL, Jerry.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    I wouldn't rule out Leary or Parnell being answers. But we can't rely on it.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,398 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    Wont happen but could you imagine lining up Ertz from Stanford and Witten in two TE packages as a base ala NE?
  11. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,724 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Under Garrett, I could easily imagine what would happen with Ertz and Witten. Absolutely nothing.

We had Hanna who seemed to flash some talent early in camp. Boy-Genius Garrett got him on the field the last 4 games or so. Ridiculous.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,196 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    Um, Baltimore, NE, SF, and ATL for 3 quarters all played excellent defense.

The scores might not necessarily say that, but there were a lot of meaningless points scored this weekend. I would say that in every game this weekend, the team that played the better defense won.
  13. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Agreed, defense won the Denver Baltimore game.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Dallas can't ignor the defense. Spencer will have to get paid or they let him go if they let him go you have a gap to fill. There are others Ratliff? does he stay or go?

No doubt the Cowboys must add to the offense but I don't see them not dealing with defense

Main thing find BPA that fit our needs be it offense or defense.
  15. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,262 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    Not to mention that this weekend all 8 teams scored at least 28 points, offense is the way to go and it starts with the o-line, and play calliing of course.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    I would never approach a draft ignoring anything. It's not a need filling exercise. You're there to acquire talent.
  17. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I think we will have to repeat this over and over again all offseason in every thread.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,599 Messages
    3,858 Likes Received

I believe you draft the BPA at a position of need using a tier system. However, I agree with you about drafting talent first. If you use a tier system then you'd better be reasonably accurate about it o/w you'll find yourself reaching. Talent first, need second.
  19. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Need has to a part of it, a smaller part though. At the end of the day, you want more talent on your team, and no reaching just cause you want a certain position. You don't reach for the next tier of player at a position just cause you need that position, you go after the talent that is there.

I just wish more people would realize that instead of just saying what we need to do in the draft, cause it doesn't work like that at all, especially the later you go into the draft.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,599 Messages
    3,858 Likes Received
    Sure, you go into the draft with needs, wants and musts but you draft talent first. You have your eyes on certain players and you can try to jockey around to get them but you need to be careful with all that maneuvering.......right, Jerry?