1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I'm by no means a draft guru so I may get flamed for this

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboy_ron, Apr 20, 2012.

1. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,224 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    But like my feelings on FA, I also want quality over quantity in the draft.

Do any of our experts (sdogo, hos to name a couple) see any way possible that we could grab Barron at 14 and have enough ammo to also trade around to also land, Zeitler and McClellan? I know we still need to draft another CB at some point so I don't know if this is even feasable.

Thoughts?
  2. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Quality is the way to. What's the point of having 8 picks if we only keep about 3?
  3. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Agree.

If we could get three that contribute right away, it might push us forward next year. I really don't see any 5-7 round picks contributing much.

So, what is the sense of drafting 8 when only three or four would be on the squad two years from now?
  4. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Ron, I have no problem whatsoever about quality over quantity, and I AM a draft guru...or as close to one as I can be without doing it for a living.

The only way I see being able to get the three players you're suggesting, however, is to use next year's first-rounder as trading ammunition. You could take Barron at #14, package our second and next year's first to move back up to take McClellan towards the end of the first (likely have to get into the 20s ahead of some other 3-4 teams), then use our third and fourth along with potentially an additional pick this year or next to move back into the high second to get Zeitler (would likely require getting into the top 10 picks of the round).

It would potentially mean not having either a first or third-rounder next year, and that would be a lot to give up considering how many needs the team has. Now moving to get either McClellan OR Zeitler is entirely doable without hurting too much.
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,709 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    All 3? Doesn't seem doable. 2 out of 3 is within reason for sure.
  6. cowboy_ron

4,224 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Thanks wulf...I knew I was leaving someone else out but I just woke up so I wasn't thinking of everyone but thanks for chiming in.

I hate the thought of having to trade any top picks in next years draft as we will need a good draft next year as well, although I don't think it's as deep as this one overall.

I think with Barron we get our defensive QB that is much needed and at the same time we get a solid pass rushing disruptor in McClellan as well as some more OL help.
  7. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Oh, there's no arguing that all three guys could come in and make a significant difference immediately. I just don't see any way it could be done without sacrificing at least one of your top three picks next year, if not two of them.

I will say this, though. Whether folks like it or not, the Cowboys brought in Livings and Bernadeau with the idea that they could potentially both start, so I think if they look interior O-line, it will be either a center or a guard they think can transition to center. I know Bernadeau was the back-up center in Carolina last year, but I just don't think that's why they brought him in.

As such, I don't think they trade up for Zeitler unless they love him AND are convinced he can play center.

Also, without bringing any of next year's top three picks to the dance, I think the only way the 'Boys are able to move from #45 up high enough to get McClellan is if he slides out of the first round and they're willing to use this year's third rounder and potentially an additional pick this year or next to trade up to the top of the board in the second to do so. I simply see no way to get back into the first without using next year's picks, and I see no way McClellan gets out of the first the way his stock has been rising.
  8. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,156 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    No way I trade picks next year. We could have a ton of injuries and finish 3-13. No way I give up a top 10 player next year for an OG/OLB this year.

Stay put and draft your slot and trade picks this year, but not next.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,459 Messages
    2,801 Likes Received
    Hey Ron. How are you? I like the players a lot but I wouldn't trade up but for one guy and probably not this draft. This is a deep draft in some positions and I'd sit tight unless a good deal happens by and take your first three players. You can get a good G and C in the first four rounds esp first three. I've warmed to Barron although I'd probably take Ingram if he's still there.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,851 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    Best you could hope for is 3-4 picks contributing. Round one and two need to make immediate impact. Yes quality over quantity.
  11. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,621 Messages
    1,948 Likes Received
    I agree that the only way I'd give up future picks is if we needed a position like quarterback, and we had an opportunity to draft Andrew Luck.
  12. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,463 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    The only problem is who is quality?

Look at where we got leon lett, Darren Woodson, Jay Ratliff, Jason Witten etc. Who were the quality players ahead of them?

Since it's a bit of a crap shoot I'd rather take my best bet with more picks and see what falls out.
  13. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Would cost to much to get all 3, barron, zeitler and mcclellan. You could get 2 of them though possibly, but you would have to trade back up from your 2nd rounder, which you would have to probably give up your 3rd and 4th.

They have a draft chart value you can look at: sure its old but you can get an idea of value points to move up or down.

Yet, thats exactly what I think the cowboys are going to do in one scenario. Trade down, get an extra 2nd or 3rd, then trade back up to get zeitler or whoever cowboys have on their mind. Remember last yr, when jason garrett looked very upset in draft room. Supposedly, cowboys had a deal to trade back up with patriots and get ingram rb. Belicheater got a better deal from saints though.

I think if cowboys do trade down, get an extra 2nd or 3rd, they would be better suited to stay with those picks they acquire and get quality players. You should be able to walk out, if you trade down, and get 4 top players from top 100 of the NFL draft.

Then, next yr you can move up and go get an impact player. This team is real close to turning the corner, but needs more building blocks like decastro or barron.

For example, I love decastro but cowboys could trade down and still get OG/OT Glenn who is a monster at OG. Then, you could still get another good player by trading down and acquiring a 2nd or 3rd pick.

Remember, cowboys got jason witten in the 3rd round.
  14. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    After about pick 20, I'd far rather have more picks than higher picks, relative to the trade chart value. There is no real correct, accurate opinion about who the 40th best player is vs. the 53rd best player. So if you told me I get the 53rd pick and the 92nd pick, I would prefer that to just the 40th.

There is a point where the draftable players run out, usually around the 5th round and you don't want a bunch of those picks (Hello 2009). From that point back, it is a crap shoot where you are just looking for a dominant trait that you can develop or a player with a knack for making plays but has poor measurables.
  15. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    There is actually speculation that the deepest talent dies out near the end of the third round, so anything after that is going to be a developmental guy. That's one of the reasons I won't be surprised to see guys like Ryan Broyles and Phillip Blake get taken in the third.

Not saying you can't get a solid guy or even a potential starter later than that this year...just that it's a drop-off in perceived talent level moreso than normal.
  16. cowboy_ron

4,224 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    How are ya job? Yea, I guess I'm getting a bit greedy with my wants in this draft. I watched several vids on McClellan and really like what he brings to the table, and with Barron, he brings something we haven't had at the safety position sonce Woody retired.
  17. cowboy_ron

4,224 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Hi Joe,

It was wishfull thinking for all three I guess, and I too do not like to spend future picks. I will just have to trust that Callahan and JG know a lot more about what they see with our OL FA signings than I do.
  18. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,822 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I think there is alot of talent in the middle rounds. If you like Barron grab him and take Branch, Curry, or a Ronnell Lewis later. I really like the middle round quality in this draft.
  19. cowboy_ron

4,224 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    I do agree about the middle rounds this year
  20. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Do I really need to list all the Pro-Bowl caliber players on just the Cowboys originally drafted after round 4 and or signed as a rookie FA?

That 5th, 6th or 7th round throw away pick might just be a good looking rookie CB. Who after a rash of injuries finds himself starting for us in the SB this Feb.