1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I'm Gonna Throw This Out There!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyRoy, Oct 30, 2012.

1. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,189 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    We will beat the falcons. We can run the ball, but we need to draft a real everydown type of RB, keep Murray as insurance and a change of pace since he has very good hands, give Dunbar a bigger role, or draft someone that we feel can fill in if the primary RB and MUrray are not in the game.

we have talent, at the skill spots, but where we need more talent is on both the OL and the DL. We have figured it out it seems at the LB, CB, WR, TE, and somewhat at RB with Murray.

C, OG, RT, DE, NT, to take over for Ratliff and the Safety spots we need to draft the right kind of guys, talent and intelligent, oh and we need to make sure our depth is as good as our starters.

We need to convince JG to give up the play calling and just be the HC.

The falcons will suffer their first loss on Sunday night. I believe this team will turn things around, for all of the weird things that only seem to happen to us.
    It seems that whatever can happen, seems to happen to us, like we are snake bitten, bad karma, or something.

I'm not like most fans, or most fans here in this forum, I'm always looking at the positives and watching to see if we continue to make progress, even if it is the smallest thing. This team has done that, penalties are dropping, the OL pass protected very well Sunday, because of who was running the ball, I could not tell how the run blocking really looked. because felix and Tanner seem to have bad vision, the number one thing for a RB is good or great vision. Felix cannot catch, his vision is not good, Tanner runs the ball like he is in high school, he runs hard and high, but he reminds me of a high school running back every time he runs the ball.

I like how Tony remembered that he can also count on Miles too. We need to give our young guys opportunity, Beasley, (bench Ogletree, Tanner/Felix) give Dunbar a chance, Give Hanna a chance you can play him at WR with his speed..
  2. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

I'm not sure that's the case now. With the way the defense has play this year, simply taking care of the ball and running a more conservative style would result in some wins. Look at last weeks game. The D completely shut Eli down, causing him one of his worst outings. They did an admirable job versus the run also. I think we win that game with a more low risk approach on offense.
  3. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,017 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    Well you're just a bottle full of sunshine, now aren't ya
  4. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,081 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    I think we'd win if they all played.
  5. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,164 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    If we do somehow manage to win this week I offer this warning: DO NOT START THINKING THIS TEAM IS GOING ANYWHERE!!! If they win they are just setting gullible fans up for emotional let downs. The higher you are the more it hurts when you fall. I definitely will not make that mistake again. I guarantee they will let you down!!
  6. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Yes it is
  7. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I appreciate that and have no doubt the team must play much better to achieve the desired result......say 7-2 or better.

I have just as little doubt that it can.

Yet there are so many here that can't see it. Nope nope nope, they're 3-4, here's why and there's no possible way it can change this season.
    Garrett must be fired, Romo traded and above all else, Jerry has to die. And until all that happens, nothing improves.:banghead:
  8. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,164 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Maybe if you brought back Norv to coach the offense.
  9. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    This offense comes and goes with the play of the Oline. If we can get solid play and murray running the ball. Not likely I have to admit.

Everything depends on beating Atlanta for any kind of chance.
  10. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,276 Messages
    812 Likes Received
    3. Romo needs to pull his head out of his *** and start playing like a franchise QB.
  11. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,081 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    It's called being a fan. Sometimes your team is going to let you down, but you have to continue to support them no matter what. It is not easy...
  12. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,072 Messages
    874 Likes Received
    And how do you do that? By having a run game that defense has to account for.

If you are Tom Brady, you may not need one but even he has problems with team like Giants who can just pin their ears back and come after him without a threat of a running game.
  13. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Nope, there's very little correlation between having a successful run offense and having a successful pass offense -- or between running the ball well and winning the game, for that matter.

It matters very little how well you run the ball or stop the run. What wins in the NFL is passing better than your opponent.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,594 Messages
    3,337 Likes Received
    People need to go back and learn about the evolution of the modern passing offense and how that original offense relied on a heavy inside running game. On how certain variations of that offense do when defenses shut down certain aspects of that particular variation esp the run.

Stats don't show the effects of being able to run nor stopping it on how defenses have to react when that element is present or not. Or of how some variations just don't win without an effective running game.

You can't just look at numbers and get the entire picture. You have to know the variation being run, the players running it, the defenses facing it, yada. The modern NFL esp variations on vertical offenses are complicated and require complicated defenses to defeat it. It's just not simple.
  15. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,284 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    So we need a better quarterback? It's that simple?
  16. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,072 Messages
    874 Likes Received
    I like to look at that data.

I can't believe that you can pass successfully against a good pass rushing defense when that defense know it only needs to defend a pass.
  17. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,284 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    Pats have been one of the better passing teams for years, why are they making it a point to run the ball now?
  18. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,594 Messages
    3,337 Likes Received
    Run the ball well enough to make the defense have to respect it, pick up short yardage and open up the intermediate and long game. Running the ball does affect how defenses have to play you and that affects the passing game.

We run a vertical offense and that requires WRs learn their options and reads as well as run precise routes. If they can't do that then a vertical offense will FAIL.

Give the WRs and Romo enough time to work the tree esp the deep routes at least often enough to make the offense effective and create more problems for the defense.

Protect the ball.

Execute and win your matchups.

Calling the right plays helps but is minor esp if other things above aren't done.
  19. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,072 Messages
    874 Likes Received
    No we need an OC who knows how to utilize his QB's strengths.

Go look up what Romo's QB rating is when throwing a play action pass.
    It's something like 130+. Yet his genius OC rarely calls it.
  20. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,072 Messages
    874 Likes Received
    And why haven't the Pats and the Packers done well against the Giants in the playoffs?

My guess is that the Giants defense can rush the passer well and not having a to defend the run, they are even better.