1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I'm impressed with Cam Newton...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by realtick, Feb 27, 2011.

1. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Now, I'm not advocating we take him at #9, but I have to say that I'm really impressed with how Cam Newton came off in his interview with the NFLN.

I like the fact that he's articulate and gave great responses, which IMO is telling at the QB position. You can get away with dumb jocks at other positions, but not so much at QB (see Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell).

The physical talent is all there. I maintain that he's a better pro QB prospect than Vince Young and Tim Tebow coming out of college.
  2. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,627 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    he looked like one of the worst Qb's in the throwing potion. I thought he looked terrible.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,175 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    he was awful
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,799 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    Well I agree about Tebow, nobody really knew VY was a head case in 06. I will say that if Newton makes it past the Cowboys, Danny boy will jump all over him at 10.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,467 Messages
    1,974 Likes Received
    Ya know, even in that "media workout" that people like Dilfer raved about, I thought he was really inaccurate. The WRs were having to jump and reach for the ball even on simple routes.

I still think the guy can be a great pro depending on his work ethic, though. That's the part I have no idea about.
  6. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,046 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Marshall Fault pretty much made up every excuse in the book for him.
  7. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,221 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    I pray he does.
  8. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Impressed with him? What the hell are you smoking? He looked very poor throwing the ball. Other than having arm strength, the guy had no accuracy. And in college, he ran a junior-high-level passing playbook. He'd look at one WR and either throw it to that WR or run. Doesn't know how to read a defense; doesn't know how to audible.

I guess you are impressed with someone who is more interested in being an "icon" then being the first one in the lockerrom every day.

I honestly have no respect who looks at his passing ability and concludes he could be a NFL quarterback.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey rocks for brains (cobra) try reading what I wrote bonehead. I said I was impressed with the way he came off in his interview.

I have no respect for people who lack basic reading comprehension, lol.

Nevermind that though, I'm sure you simply saw "Cam Newton" and decided to spew anyways.
  10. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Uh, that's not all what you said. Don't accuse people of having bad reading comprehension when you cannot even understand your own posts.

The necessary implication being that you do not think Newton is a "dumb jock." Well, he is. That he has been coached how to give an interview doesn't change the fact that when he spoke off-script, he said the stupid "icon" crap and that he ran a "dumb jock/borderline ******" passing game.

Except the ability to pass the ball. Nevertheless, this is a comment not about his interview, but your conclusion about him as a NFL-ready QB. And this is what I was responding to.

Again, another comment on his prospect as a pro QB. Not a comment about his interview. And this is why I said I have no respect for anyone who can conclude he will be a quality NFL qb.

So, you DID comment on his ability and likelihood he would be a good NFL QB, and that is what I responding to. It appears you "lack basic reading comprehension" of your own posts.
  11. StarMan

StarMan Active Member

987 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Some ******* will take him in the top ten, I just hope it ain't Jerry.
  12. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I completely agree, he comes off as a very confident guy who knows it's a journey...
  13. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,807 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Don't want him - the guy is being coached on what to say and what not to say, but he's cocky and arrogant and not what I consider a leader.

He can go to Buffalo or even Washington for all I care.
  14. alohawg

alohawg Active Member

1,241 Messages
    12 Likes Received

And Mallett has speech issues??? :lmao:

Cam articulated in ebonics, need the link?
  15. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Let me make this clear so there is no confusion...you're full of crap.

You said "The necessary implication being that you do not think Newton is a "dumb jock." Well, he is."

What an utterly bias, subjective and bogus claim. Your reasoning is effectively: "Cam Newton is a dumb jock. Why? Because he is."

Your contention is that he is a dumb jock that's simply been "coached up." Here's news genius, every single one of those players (particularily the top prospects) are "coached up."

Thanks for playing.

You said "...this is a comment not about his interview, but your conclusion about him as a NFL-ready QB. And this is what I was responding to."

This is a textbook example of a strawman fallacy. You prop something up as if I said it or implied it, and then subsequently break-it-down.

I neither implied or said anything remotely close to saying Newton is NFL ready. That's simply made up crap on your part. End of story.

Let me tell you what I did say. I said (and still maintain) that he is a better pro prospect than both Tim Tebow and Vince Young which is relative. He has a throwing motion that doesn't need to be drastically tinkered with. He's got more than the requisite athleticism. I'm sure you're elated that he was of during the passing drills. Fortunately for him, NFL teams are wise enough to not make this passing drills the end-all-be-all of whether a QB can play or not. How does he play in games?

That statement is absolutely not a predictive statement of how "NFL-ready" he is. In an extreme example, it would be like me saying I think Kevin Ogletree was a better or more polished prospect than Sam Hurd coming out of college. Saying such is not a proclamation that Ogletree is destined to be an All-Pro.

It's only your knee-jerk hate for Newton which causes you to respond in such disgust for any suggestion that Newton could be viewed in a positive way.
  16. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

159 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He looked worse than Quincy Carter in throwing drills. If Jerry takes him in the 1st round I may have to turn in my fan card...:puke:
  17. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,410 Messages
    1,746 Likes Received
    I wonder what people would have said about Tony Romo when he was a prospect.

I think Cam Newton will be great in the NFL.
  18. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I kinda liked what he had to say during the interview. He was articulate and humble. I think he sincerely regrets some of his past statements and realizes he hasn';t proven a dang thing at this level.

That being said, it was also apparent he was coached up for the interview. I think he was sincere, but he is an entertainer and maybe his acting fooled me.

But he threw like crap.
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If we take Newton, it will without question be a Jerry pick.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,135 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    Im impressed too.

Guy is a hard worker. Bigtime leader. Amazing physically and has all the raw skills needed.

If you are a good coach you should be able to groom this guy into something special.