1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I'm not ok with Konz in the 1st

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Apr 4, 2012.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,914 Likes Received
    In the 2nd im more than fine to pick him up but the guy still has a medical condition that could take him out. Regardless if everything looks good I would like to not take that risk in the 1st round.

Plus as good as he is I don't see him as being a Mangold anytime soon.

Im just not a fan of this guy in the 1st round.

Anyone else feel the same?
  2. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Totally agree with you, the blood clot issue scares me, and we have to hit on that first round draft choice.
  3. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I do , DeCastro or Glenn over Konz , Plus I really like Blake in r3/4

Otherwise Defense in the 1st . JMO
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,097 Messages
    2,877 Likes Received
    Late 1st (should Dallas move back) or 2nd I think it would be a good pick.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I'm not even close to okay with him as a 1st round pick
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,914 Likes Received
    Ok because i've seen a few people saying they wouldn't mind it so I thought it may be some type of consensus around here that he would be a good pick even if we traded down 8 spots or so.

I don't want him in the 1st round at all.

If I can trade down and then move up in the 2nd than ok but I wouldn't draft him in the 1st. I don't know that I would draft him in the 1st if there were no medical issues.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,310 Messages
    4,845 Likes Received
    I agree. Konz is a limited athlete and is not overly strong. Even without the blood clot issue, I see him as more of an early 2nd rounder.

If I had the choice between Konz in the 1st or Blake in the 3rd, I'd choose Blake all day every day.
  8. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,511 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    I'm fully okay with trading down (or back up) and picking him in the 20s (maybe late 20s). We need a starting C and he's the consensus top one on everyone that matters' lists.

I haven't heard one of the top drafniks say anything about his medical status that's questionable. So I'll defer to them and not people on message boards on his health.
  9. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,335 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I would be really disappointed if that is their first pick.
  10. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    No need to be skeptical about it - he has had a blood clot.

It was unprovoked (i.e. He didn't have cancer or hip surgery or a stroke....).

All individuals with unprovoked blood clots have a high risk of recurrence. In general population studies it is about 30% at 10 years. The fact that he plays a sport with major trauma regularly occurring is going to put him in a higher risk category than the general population.

If he has a second unprovoked blood clot current medical standard of care is lifelong blood thinners. This would effectively end his career.

There is definitely a decent chance he plays out his career and the issue never surfaces again. But it is just a probability event. It could also happen that he gets a blood clot a week after signing his rookie deal and retires before getting into a preseason game.

I think it is too big of a risk in the first round.

I don't believe he is a once in a generation type player where it is worth taking the risk. We could draft Ben Jones or Blake in the 3rd round and get a good Center. We actually already have a good center prospect on the roster. There is really no need to reach for Konz.
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,393 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    I like him alot late 20's not 14. Great lock room guy and team mate.
  12. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Zeitler is the better player by quite a bit. Teach him a shotgun snap and there is the best center in the draft unless DeCastro is a center.

Konz is just the biggest framed guy in a bad lot of centers. He is not even in the same zip code as Maurkice Pouncey or Mangold. When you put the blood clot, surgically repaired ankle and questionable 18 bp reps coming out of Wisconsin, it is a lot of risk for a second round pick let alone a 1st round pick.
  13. Doomsday101

77,097 Messages
    2,877 Likes Received
    I agree. Konz is also the highest rated center of the bunch. He has been a 3 year starter on what I think has been the best OL in the nation.

14 is too high late 20's early 2nd rd I think that is where he falls. Seems Pitt also has an interest in him
  14. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    And do what with him? Make him a guard? Or move their Pro Bowl center to guard?
  15. Doomsday101

77,097 Messages
    2,877 Likes Received
    Chances are Guard but the fact he can play Center as well gives them the ability to put him in at Center a problem they had last season when Maurkice Pouncey was contending with injury problems
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,619 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received

just because some think he is the best center in a weak year for centers does not warrant taking the risk.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,619 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received

frankly most of the so called draft types are not smart enough to figure any of this out. This is not the first time this sort of thing happened. Marcus McNeil had that problem with his back and it did not get out until just a week or so before the draft to the public.
  18. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,460 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Does Jerry know about this?
  19. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,218 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Green Bay and Baltimore love this guy and most draftlinks are mocking him to one of them.

When it comes to player evaluation, I would defer to those two organizations. If they think he is a 1st rounder, then he probably is.

Also, if Pittsburgh is looking at him as a guard, then they too know how to guage talent.

Everything I've read, shows Konz going in the 1st. Must be a reason for that.

I wouldn't take him at 14 (Cox or Barron), but if we trade down I would take him in the 20's.
  20. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I can't get excited about drafting an interior lineman in the first round. Sorry DeCastro and Konz lovers. I think that position has been upgraded already somewhat, and I don't think you need world-beaters. You need smart guys who will do their job and not get you beat. Guys like Kyle Kosier and even Motrae Holland usually do fine.

I know that center is a position that is iffy on this team, but I feel like there are enough guys to throw out there that one of them will stick.