1. Are you a gamer? Come join us at GameNotOver.com
    If you are a gamer, then GameNotOver is your new home! Whether you are a PC, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, mobile or web gamer, you will find other gamers to talk with on GameNotOver where you can get help, share reviews of the latest games and gaming technology or even wax nostalgic over the gaming days of old. Come join us and help us grow GameNotOver into a wonderful community for gamers!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm sorry, before the draft, I didn't want Zeke Elliott. I wanted Carson Wentz

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RXP, Jan 10, 2017.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

65,332 Messages
    19,339 Likes Received
    Not the member I was expecting this thread from.

BAZ likes this.
  2. Sepia

Sepia Well-Known Member

570 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received

I wanted Jalen. It's ok to admit we're imperfect.:thumbup:

haleyrules likes this.
  3. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

3,744 Messages
    1,604 Likes Received
    We all did. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

pjtoadie and BoysfanfromNY like this.
  4. Jstopper

Jstopper Well-Known Member

2,462 Messages
    2,907 Likes Received
    Are you seriously still going on with this crap man? Just stop

xvendettax914, BAZ, Cover 2 and 10 others like this.
  5. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

25,324 Messages
    7,084 Likes Received
    I was on the Zeke bandwagon all the way. Even during the 2015 season I posted that we're probably going to have to take an RB high in the draft.

Clove likes this.
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

17,579 Messages
    1,595 Likes Received
    true, I wanted a QB first and possibly Ramsey. When Zeke was there at 4 I was ecstatic, but nothing for anyone to feel badly about wanting Wentz or Ramsey or whomever.

I do remember seeing Dak in uni though and thinking he would be a good add.

dallasfan4lizife likes this.
  7. yohishimer

yohishimer Member

56 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Taking a RB that high is justified if he is a unique talent, the kind that comes around every seven or eight years. Once I saw Zeke shred Alabama, I knew he was not the kind of back that comes every year in the draft.

8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

24,381 Messages
    3,030 Likes Received
    Last year some were saying Dallas should have drafted Jeremy Langford and the Bears landing a good running back. Now it is Jordan Howard.

It isn't easy to find RB production. If it was then everyone would be doing it.

Do those high stakes apply to anyone drafted 4th overall or just running backs? Or is it just Elliott? That standard is unrealistic. It would be nice, but it is not based in reality. Elliott can do some stuff to help Dallas make playoff appearances every year. That to me would be worth it. It still takes a complete team to win a Superbowl.

9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

35,362 Messages
    4,023 Likes Received
    I wanted Zeke all the way ....... but I thought Dak was a wasted pick ...... talk about feeling like an idiot.

10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

24,381 Messages
    3,030 Likes Received
    If you think the QB is top notch. You don't take a QB just to take a QB.

I'm not against Wentz(other than him being an Eagle), but I didn't understand the hype. He may turn out alright, but I didn't see anything about him that jumped out as a top 10 draft pick. He didn't face great competition in college. He didn't start that many games, so he was not that experienced. He only attempted 612 passes in college. Some guys do that in a single season. He has funky mechanics. He is raw and needs time to develop. That doesn't scream top 10 or top 5 pick to me.

Erik_H and Proximo like this.
  11. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

8,989 Messages
    9,147 Likes Received
    We've had a thousand yard rusher for the last 3 years. The only team in the NFL who can say that. It's because of our offensive line. So yes, we can say, we can coax RB production out of any average to above average back.

It's harder to do that with almost every other position in football. Using a 4th and paying Zeke over 7M a year guaranteed money he needs to be among the best and most productive RBs in the league every single year. Because how many RBs are guaranteed 7M a year? Not many.

Now look at what the Chargers for instance are getting out of Bosa. At 7M a year they are getting elite edge production at a huge discount. I'm more tolerant of injuries when you're paying someone a discount rather than at a premium.

Look what Norman got in free agency. I'd be more tolerant of a rookie guarding the other team's number 1 at that type of a discount.

It's simple economics and opportunity cost.

black label and Proof like this.
  12. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

1,927 Messages
    1,929 Likes Received

13. jaybird

jaybird Well-Known Member

958 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    I decided a few days before the draft that Zeke was the correct choice because he was such a complete back. Originally I wanted Bosa, Wetntz wasn't even a possibility. Was dissapointed Denver got the QB. No one saw Dak coming

14. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member

5,041 Messages
    1,088 Likes Received
    I was on Wentz, but once Philly did the trade up knew he wasnt going to drop past 2nd spot. After that, wanted Zeke but had hesitations on lifespan, 2nd contract --everything we just went thru with Murray. So, here we are---enjoying the ride, put the spurs to him now, ride him hard, he wants to be fed. 3 games to go.

Proof likes this.
  15. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Well-Known Member

3,337 Messages
    2,090 Likes Received
    Hell you should apologize. People in who are wrong in the draft should just jump off a cliff. But then again all that would exist in this world would be...Meryl Streep. OMG never mind.

Erik_H and RXP like this.
  16. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

2,476 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    I don't see a problem with preferring Wentz over Zeke at the time of the draft. It was only a mistake if you thought Wentz would have a more immediate impact. Zeke was an NFL ready player at a position where it's easier to make an impact right away. He's was penciled in as the immediate starter behind the best OL in football. Wentz was an inexperienced small school player at a position that is much harder to play well right away. The original plan for any QB taken was that they would sit behind Romo this year.

daveferr33, RXP and waving monkey like this.
  17. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

1,964 Messages
    2,202 Likes Received
    No need to apologize. Who knew? If the league was able to re-do this draft I'm sure Prescott would have been the number one pick overall.

Instead we got Dak and Zeke. It's almost like the 4-12 season of 2015 was fate setting us up for long term success.

Proximo likes this.
  18. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

6,269 Messages
    3,454 Likes Received
    many of us did including me. never forget "you just don't spend a number one pick on a running back,
    you just don't do it"

RXP likes this.
  19. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

5,975 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    I wanted the qb but since that was not a viable option zeke was a great choice
    But when you need a qb that's the most important position on the team
    We are very blessed to have gotten a starter quality qb in the 4th. Many teams have spent lots of first rnd picks and missed

waving monkey likes this.
  20. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler

11,903 Messages
    6,818 Likes Received
    I was all-in on Zeke once I got over Bosa(who I wanted early). I did not like any of those 1st round QB's, especially Wentz. If Dallas had to draft one early, wanted it to be Goff even though I didn't like him much.

Also, wanted no part of Ramsey, so I pretty much begged for Zeke from the beginning. Zeke or Bosa and I would have been happy :)

CowboyStar88 and waving monkey like this.