1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I'm thinking about building a new pc and need advice

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Yeagermeister, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It's been a long time since I have built a pc and need on parts.

I'm thinking

Mobo - an Asus

Processor - an Intel (I don't like AMD) is there a huge difference between an I5 and I7 other than price?

Memory - I'm open to suggestions

Video card - I usually stick with an ATI or Nvidia

Sound card - I usually stick with a Sound Blaster

Hard Drive - I prefer Western Digital

Case - I'm open to suggestions

Optical drive - open to suggestion

I already have monitors

Anything I missed?
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    1. I like Asus MBs. I've built several Crosshair PCs in the last year.
    2. I do not carry a bias either way. Both have positives. Without question, I prefer how AMDs connect heat-sinks connect to the MB over Intel's.
    3. Go no less than 8GB for a 64bit OS IMO. You really don't need 16GB right now. Although, if the MB is capable of 16GB, that's a good thing!
    4. I never buy ATI, always Nvidia. The brand can vary though.
    5. I usually just use the onboard sound. It's usually fully HD and that is easily good enough for me.
    6. DVD/RW is all you need unless you rip alot of watch BluRay movies on your PC. (I don't)
    7. For cases, I've been buying Antec or Cool Masters and they've been fine. I've purchased three of these Cool Masters in the last 12 months.
    8. Make sure the MB supports USB3 and has a minimum of (2) USB3 ports. (preferably more)
  3. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,347 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    1) Asus is a good choice.
    2) i5 vs i7? Core i5s (desktop) are quad core and don't have hyper threading. Core i7s(desktop) have hyper threading and they can be quad or hexa-core.
    3) Memory brand doesn't really matter. G.skill, Corsair, Kingston are all up there.
    4) I always choose NVidia.
    5) HT Omega, Asus, or Creative.
    6) I would get an SSD and install the OS and any other applications. This will greatly increase the speed of your computer. SSDs have fallen in price big time. Samsung, Intel, Crucial, etc.

for HD: Western Digital is a good choice. I'd keep all of my data on this drive.

7) Case is preference. Good name brands cost more cause they have better "craftsmanship" and use better material. I'm a big fan of the 90 degree housing cases which rotate the motherboard. Silverstone makes such cases.
    8) Optical: LG, Sony, etc.
  4. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,347 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    If you plan on overclocking an unlocked processor, you'd have to buy specific Intel processors with the -x or -k suffix at the end of the model number. I.E. There will be a i7-3770 and an i7-3770k. Also you need to factor in adequate cooling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

Ivy Bridge is the refined CPU architecture. Sandy Bridge was the previous. Haswell comes out next year. It's the whole tick-tock thing.
  5. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Any recommendations on a model of Asus mb?
  6. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I don't run anything that needs overclocking.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    I really like the Crosshair motherboards as I noted earlier, although I believe they are all AMD boards.
  8. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,347 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Depends on which CPU you are going with. Also, how many PCI, PCI-e, USB, memory DIMM slots, do you need?
  9. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I haven't checked prices so I don't know which Intel proc I'll go with. The only pci card I'd need is the sound card if I decide to go that way. I'd probably start with 8 gb of ram unless the price is really cheap. I do have quite a few usb devices though but not all plug directly in to the pc.
  10. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,347 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    I vaguely remember something like this.

Crosshair = AMD
    Maximus = Intel
    Rampage = high end extreme overclockers
    Formula = Gamers
  11. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,347 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    There's too many to choose from.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Id=1&Description=asus lga 1155&x=0&y=0&Page=2

Each motherboard model will have varying features. This is for socket type LGA 1155 which uses both Sandy and Ivy Bridge processors.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    you also need to identify what you will be doing with your PC. That way you emphasize those areas that need more.

Realistically you can get a good deal at Best Buy or such unless you are going to be doing some different things then normal.
  13. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'd buy another Dell if I wasn't looking to build one. I get some great deals through my job since I do all the ordering. :D
  14. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  15. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I will not respond here. :rolleyes:
  16. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Bwok bwok bwok
  17. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    For what?

You can buy a decent graphics card for $80 or so. I have an i7-2600k and a lot of people say just go with an i5-2500k for the price. I'm not too familiar with mobos. 8GB of ram will suffice for whatever you're doing probably. Get a SSD too, they're amazing for boot speeds and anything else you need to run quick.

My build

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128524 - $80
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625 - $135
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322015 - $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070 - $320

Default sound card. 1.5TB HDD - $80 8GB Ram - $40 or so, 60gb SSD

I bought it from Craigslist for $200 and he put over a $1000 in it. I'd look on there if you have time because sometimes you can find some really good deals and don't have to have the hassle of putting it all together.
  18. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'll use it mainly for just daily surfing and some light gaming nothing extreme. So I know I don't need a tricked out state of the art machine but it would be nice to run anything I want.
  19. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    an i5-2500k would be perfect then. 8GB ram will be fine, a 550 ti or something along those lines would be okay.
  20. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    No one asked you to, Okie.