1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Impact defensive backs for each day of 2012 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 19, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Saturday sleepers
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...efensive-backs-for-each-day-of-2012-nfl-draft
    Impact late-round defensive backs become special-teams stars as rookies and work their way into sub-packages.
    Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly: The undersized Jackson will have to prove himself capable of handling larger NFL receivers before receiving a lot of time on defense, though he is not contact-shy. He averaged 25.1 yards per kickoff return and 14.7 yards each time he brought back a punt during his career with the Mustangs; that will be his ticket to make an impact while coaches teach him to defend the slot.

Brandon Hardin, S, Oregon State: Even though Hardin missed the entire 2011 season with a fractured shoulder, teams couldn't help but look back fondly at the missile-like hits he made on coverage units and solid play at cornerback for the Beavers in 2010. The 4.4 40 speed he showed at his pro day while measuring 6-2 5/8-inch, 222 pounds simply added to teams' thinking that Hardin will be a special teams ace worth a mid-round pick, if not a playmaker at safety.

Coty Sensabaugh, CB, Clemson: The cousin of Cowboys starting safety Gerald Sensabaugh did not become a full-time starter until 2011 -- just like Gerald with Dallas -- but impressed with his athleticism, quick feet and strong hands at the line of scrimmage. He also fights for the ball in 50/50 situations, despite his wiry 5-11, 188-pound build, giving him an excellent chance to be an NFL starter in man or zone schemes.

Follow Chad Reuter on Twitter @ChadReuter
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,928 Messages
    5,320 Likes Received
    Thanks for posting Joe.

I'm a big fan of drafting Hardin and/or Sensabaugh.

Check out Hardin's 6.88 cone time at 217 lbs. Sensabaugh's measureables are impressive across the board.
    [IMG]
  3. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,699 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    I prefer Hardin. He would be a beast flying down the field towards WRs. His corner experienc, size, tackling prowess and speed would be ideal covering the new generation TEs.

Coty S is extremely athletic, but he looked stiff in the corner drills during the combine. Deion mentioned his hips (in a negative way) several times. Coty may be better off in a zone coverage scheme (Tampa 2).
  4. bpfred

bpfred Member

94 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'd be careful w/Jackson. If I remember correctly, he has 29.5" arms. I haven't checked but that may be the shortest length arms in the draft. There may be actual alligators with longer arms than that. And arm length is important for NFL CBs.
  5. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I expect us to draft 2 corners because we only have 2 signed past this year.