1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

In NFL history

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Star4Ever, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

5,956 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    Has any franchise had two better QBs, RBs, and WRs than the Cowboys? Roger and Troy, Tony D and Emmitt, and Irvin and Drew? Every other franchise seems to come up short at one position or the other.
  2. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    QBs could be Packers/49ers.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,249 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    SF had a better starting three and two than we every had. Jerry, TO, and ?Taylor. They also had two HOF QBs on the same team. BTW, it pains me to say this; a great deal.
  4. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys are second behind the 49ers.
  5. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,219 Messages
    1,004 Likes Received
    Two HOF QB's on the same team is pretty amazing.
  6. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

786 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Don Meredith and Danny White were excellent QB's...

A few more breaks, and they were among the great ones...

Even Craig Morton had his moment. Now, Romo...

All good ones.... Not great by HOF standards, but very, very good QB's...
  7. GoCowboysGo

GoCowboysGo Active Member

977 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    True, but if Murchison had been a mediocre owner, he would have built a better team around Danny White, we should be able to say we had two HOF'ers on one team with Staubach and White.

It will always torment me how great Danny White was and how little respect he gets. :mad:
  8. KJJ

11,219 Messages
    1,004 Likes Received
    When White took over the Cowboys he pretty much had the same team Staubach won the SB with 3 years earlier. A lot of those players hadn't even reached 30 years old this is the reason those teams got to 3 straight NFC title games.
  9. KJJ

11,219 Messages
    1,004 Likes Received

I always roll my eyes when fans say Danny White didn't have the team around him to win a championship when he took over basically the same team that Staubach won a SB with. Here's the roster that White started off with in 1980 checkout the ages of the key players. They only had 7 starters over 30.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/1980_roster.htm
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,947 Messages
    1,732 Likes Received
    Packers have Starr and Favre at QB, Lofton and Hutson at WR, but come up short at RB with only Jim Taylor coming to mind.
  11. KJJ

11,219 Messages
    1,004 Likes Received

Paul Hornung
  12. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,249 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    I absolutely agree with this. Roger may tell you White was the better athlete and a member of that team did let me know he was. They competed in basketball, ping pong and more and Roger would normally lose and get pissed.

I don't think Danny had the imposition of will that Roger had and few have. There was a different atmosphere in the huddle with Roger than Danny. But if Danny had what Roger did then I think he would have won a SB or three.
  13. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,369 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    I tend to point out that the Colts have had a great quarterbacking tradition, because no one ever thinks of the Colts as having one of the great quarterbacking traditions.

Unitas and Manning.

Faulk and Dickerson.

Harrison and Berry.
  14. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,369 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    Forget Lofton. Sterling Sharpe.
  15. Star4Ever

5,956 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    I'm talking about all six positions with any one franchise, not just QBs, etc. all six.
  16. Star4Ever

5,956 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    And what two great RBs do they have on par with Emmitt and Tony D? That's why I said ALL six positions.
  17. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,870 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    I think the 2 RBs category gives it automatically to Dallas. Combine Tony and Emmitt's rushing yards in Dallas and it is better than any other team's top 3 or 4 combined. The only team that might come close is the Bears and they do not have the QBs and WRs to win this.
  18. car351

car351 Member

88 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Ummmmmmmm, wow, just wow. T%he Dirty Dozen draft of '75. Dorsett in 77 and the subsequent superbowl. The 70's collection of Cowboys talent that White inherited from Roger was in their "PRIME" (betwwen 25 and 30 yrs of age for the majority of the team) and White "didn't close the deal. Washington, Philly and San Fran in the NFC championship games in '80, 81 and 82? What, was White carrying these teams? White, Too Tall, Martin, Dutton, @ d-line Waters/Harris Everson, Thurman. Who's we have Rayfield Wright, Fitxgerald, Rafferyt @ OL, I mean the lists goes on and on...Not surrounded by talent? Dude.....Most inaccurate post I have ever read. There was NO FREE AGENCY. Everyone was in their prime when Roger retired. Drew and Thrill Hill, Newhouse, Golden, I mean my God..... Don't know what you are talking about. White waS handed keys to a Lamborghini and never got it out of 3rd gear when given the chance. He was McNabb before McNabb. Wow, again, just wow.
  19. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Edgerrin James was pretty good. Unitas and Manning are the best 1-2 QB combination ever but it's hard to think of the Indianapolis Colts and the Baltimore Colts as the same team.
  20. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,016 Messages
    493 Likes Received
    You'd have a much better argument if Drew Pearson was in the Hall of Fame. Not that he shouldn't be (it's debatable), but if you include a non-Hall of Famer for us, you'd have to include them for other teams as well.