In one word, off-season to date - Risky

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by kiheikiwi, Mar 17, 2017.

1. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

1,566 Messages
    613 Likes Received
    Been thinking for a few days, if you had to sum up our off-season so far and what you think we will/wont do thru the draft etc. In a single word, I would call it - Risky.
    The F.O. seams to be in tear the old secondary down and rebuild it - now if they think it's cause they weren't going anywhere with what they had - OK no problem with that.
    I'm not here to say what they have or have not done is wrong - I just think they are leaving a lot of things open to circumstance.
    Injuries - Crawford's second shoulder surgery, this one worse than last years.
    - DLaw's second back sugery...
    - Tappers back will it allow him to become a player or not.
    - Will Jaylons Nerve fully fire or not.
    - Will Hanna or Swaim be available this year, esp. now Swaim has had foot surgery now.
    Not sure if we have any on the offensive side of the ball. But on defense, that's a lot of Risk just hopeing these players will contribute.
    Also, I think they thought Free would play one more year at RT, now that he has retried, is Green ready to step up ? Don't want to have to move Collins over, he will be a very good Guard - leave him there. Which means if they don't believe Green, Clery or Loony can handle - Have to take a RT in first 3-4 rounds.
    TE, don't think we can allocate a high draft pick this year, too many other needs. Can Rico contribute ? Do we have enough with Witten, Swaim, Hanna and Rico ? FA so far - filling holes, I like Paea, Moore is a risk, Carole - meh.
    Obviously now with cleaning house in the secondary - we will need possibly 2 corners, and a SS. Still, picking at the end of each round will make that and a DE a hard draft to grab what we need. Just seams all very risky, Im sure they have a plan. I think Free was the one they didn't see coming. And that's not even talking about can they squeeze anything out of a Romo trade or not.
    I just see that the stars really have to align for the team to stay on top. Reload and smash the East again.
    Each off-season is interesting - this year especially so, get ya pop corn ready, its all - very Risky.
    What do you all think.

2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

11,897 Messages
    3,993 Likes Received
  3. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

8,861 Messages
    1,866 Likes Received
    back to the 20 year excuse, rebuilding. We were knocking on the door of the SB and said screw, heres a plan to waste a few years. Is Rod going to be around in a year or 2? If not why not get rid of him and to be honest, if this was the plan, scrap the coaching staff and give the new head coach 2 years to instsall his system with 2 good drafts and 2 off seasons? That to me would be worth rebuilding around.

4. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

12,145 Messages
    4,224 Likes Received
    Welp.......they better cut Dez, Dak, Zeke, Witten, Lee and Beasley if they want to confirm they are rebuilding. Otherwise, getting rid of a secondary that was one of the worst in turnovers hardly indicates that.

Kolemmitt likes this.
  5. Idgit

Idgit That sounds really boring Staff Member

44,815 Messages
    28,632 Likes Received
    Typical.

This is the new normal. And we'll still be the best team in the East going into the season by the time it's all said and done.

ActualCowboysFan and Trouty like this.
  6. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

5,141 Messages
    4,103 Likes Received
    Rebuilding? We didn't get rid of anything of any value. This defense was a pile of junk only propped up by how efficient the offense was. Especially the run game. Same way in 2014. And when it came to deliver in the playoff and hold their own weight, they did zero. Yet again. You wanted to keep bringing back the same stale players? This secondary had to be the worst collection of guys in terms of the lack of playmaking I've seen. They could not make a play to save their lives. 6th round pick Anthony Brown was already on par with Mo and Carr, whom we invested a lot in.

We are hardly rebuilding. All we lost is bodies, not talent. And losing Rod would not be the worst thing. He hasn't done anything since 2002 Tampa. Still living off that. In fact, a new coaching staff would be great. Not the one wild card win staff led by Garrett.

This team will re-load in the draft. Cheaper guys, younger and will be just as good or better than the junk we let walk.

I don't think some of you realized how bad this defense was. They were protected at times by this offense but most advanced stats showed them to be at the bottom of the NFL. This front office finally had enough with the same stuff year after year and decided to move on from the dead weight. I applaud them for that and I really am reluctant to applaud this organization for much the last few decades.

7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

66,854 Messages
    21,527 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

Trouty and Afigueroa22 like this.
  8. ShiningStar

8,861 Messages
    1,866 Likes Received

no and i am on record with what i thought, but i had said what i would like to see at this point instead of continue my rant that isnt recieved well. IF you want details send me a PM and we can debate it.

9. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

2,903 Messages
    8,161 Likes Received
    Crappy

haleyrules, LocimusPrime and Trouty like this.
  10. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

4,868 Messages
    2,735 Likes Received
    Failure back to 8-8

11. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

11,897 Messages
    3,993 Likes Received
    That's called a rebuild

12. Pessimist_cowboy

4,868 Messages
    2,735 Likes Received
    Sorry Leary,church,McClain,free,Carr, Romo are quality starters.

Other key contributors are Wilcox ,Claiborne , and Durant (who makes clutch pass deflections etc).

I could care less about Dunbar or Crawford ...but ,it's impossible to replace those players in one season. We've certainly regressed this season will be a reality check.

Trouty likes this.
  13. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

3,467 Messages
    1,665 Likes Received
    This FA class was not that great so why throw money at players that aren't good. Next years class and the year after will be better and the Cowboys will have money to spend if they so choose. That is just good business.

Kolemmitt, Proximo and rocyaice like this.
  14. ShiningStar

8,861 Messages
    1,866 Likes Received
    okay than.

Trouty likes this.
  15. rocyaice

12,145 Messages
    4,224 Likes Received
    Getting rid of your secondary is called rebuild?

ActualCowboysFan and Proximo like this.
  16. rocyaice

12,145 Messages
    4,224 Likes Received
    Those same quality starters are the same guys you fans complained about last season. Now I'm suppose to believe the weak links to our team are gonna be our downfall if we get rid of them?

17. Pessimist_cowboy

4,868 Messages
    2,735 Likes Received
    Speak for them not me. I thought our safeties were a strength last year. That's too many starters to lose across the board.

haleyrules and DandyDon52 like this.
  18. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

5,965 Messages
    1,836 Likes Received
    One word: needed

12-4

19. cheftjpeck

cheftjpeck Well-Known Member

602 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Hardly

20. Idgit

Idgit That sounds really boring Staff Member

44,815 Messages
    28,632 Likes Received
    At least we play a simple defense. And Heath knows the system well.