1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

In Sum: Why Jerry Jones is a Psycho

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dstone2962, Jan 11, 2013.

1. dstone2962

dstone2962 Member

80 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Just to compare how other teams owners operate, even teams like the Jaguars who are in a pitiful state:

Shad Khan on why he won't pursue Tebow...

"It's not my decision," Khan said. "I want to do whatever to help this team win. Who the players are is really the general manager's and coaches' -- it's a football-side operation decision. It's really not my decision."

What has changed for Khan in the 10 months since he wanted Tebow?

"I'm telling them to take a look at Tebow and they're saying, 'We're going to go in a different direction,'" Khan said. "That's the difference."
  2. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    You do have to realize that Khan is just the owner, not the GM, of the Jaguars. While Jerry is proudly the owner/GM of the Cowboys. You might not agree of the decisions Jerry makes as the GM, but it's technically his job to do what we've seen the past week, so your comparison of both is rather misguided.
  3. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,589 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    And that's the way it should be.

Of course when the owner is impersonating the GM and making all the decisions, you've got problems, as the Cowboys do.
  4. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    One does not impersonate the GM when he is the GM. Now, the question if Jerry is qualified is a different story.
  5. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,589 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Actually, it's spot on if you see the purpose in the OP. Jerry should not be making the decisions of a GM solely because he has anointed himself as one. It's really not that hard to understand.

He really shouldn't be making these decisions he's been making this week, either. If he didn't like the direction the team is going, he should have let Garrett make the decisions as to who needed to go or fired Garrett and let his replacement pick his staff.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Well this is confusing. I thought every team did it the way we do it.
  7. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    This...you may not like it that Jerry is the GM but there is nothing anyone can do to change that. Only Jerry can. Until that day I for one am not going to waste energy fretting about what he should do.
  8. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,589 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Really? Well why don't you enlighten me as to who hired him as GM? Because on 31 other teams that is what has happened.

Just because I go and buy a 747 doesn't make me a pilot. If I put on an outfit and sat in the chair, I would be accused of impersonating a pilot.
  9. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    You don't need a license to be a GM. Just the power granted by the owner, which in this case Jerry has. A qualified GM is another story.
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, those Jaguars do it the "right way" ... if you consider firing a HC who inherited a crap team after he's had 1 year on the job the "right way".

The Hunt family also does things the "right way", and look at all those Superbowl Trophies the Chiefs have racked up in the last 30 years after a long succession of Jim Schaafs and Scott Piolis and Carl Petersons .
  11. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The difference between Shad and Jones is that one has 20+ years of experience as a GM and the other one doesn't.

You may not like Jones' philosophy as a GM, but he's got a decent resume.

People like to credit Jimmy with the Superbowls, but it was just as much Jerry the GM as it was Jimmy. There's no way we improve so fast without trading away our marquee player for a truckload of picks and players. Look at the difference in our pass rush from 1991 to 1992 - that's due to the GM who went out and got Charles Haley. Nabbing Deion in 1995 free agency certainly didn't hurt us in the quest to win a third Superbowl in four years.

The thing I criticize Jerry the GM for is that he's too loyal to his players and too much of a fan. He rewarded the triplets with nice contracts, which didn't hurt the team on the field but gave us very little depth and hurt us when Aikman and Irvin had to retire due to injury. He repeated the mistake with Marion Barber and Jay Ratliff, IMO. He always thinks we're a couple of players away from a Superbowl and for a while was a little poisoned by his success with Haley and Sanders, so he's been willing to take risks on the likes of Raghib Ismail, Joey Galloway, and Roy E. Williams. The fans pretty much demand constant success though - Garrett is just two years into his personnel changes, and fans are already demanding he be jettisoned despite a .500 record.
  12. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,902 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Keep it civil ----
  13. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,902 Messages
    339 Likes Received

Very good --thanks
  14. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,566 Messages
    1,318 Likes Received
    Your point is rather facile. The OP thinks Jerry has no business being GM--the fact that he appointed himself GM only makes his point for him.
  15. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

859 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    A guy who's name is Shad Khan is an NFL owner? What gives?
  16. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Active Member

191 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    The Jags may be wrong or right by canning their HC. At least, they are moving forward with a new plan. I like Jerry, but propping Garrett up with a new DC and possibly a new OC is not the answer either. We need a HC that is fully knowledgeable of the game and knows how to pick a staff that will make the team successful. If Ryan is gone then Garrett should be right in back of him and out the door. Jerry's ego is getting the best of him in terms of dealing with Garrett. Joe De needs to be replaced as well and the Bear's Special Team Coach Dave Toub is now available. Every Phase of the Team needs to be improved especially Coaching.
  17. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,502 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Well played sir.
  18. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  19. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    :laugh2: at your revisionist history. The record without Jimmy Johnson speaks for itself.
  20. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,365 Messages
    593 Likes Received
    We should absolutely strive to be as good as the jags.