1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

In Sum: Why Jerry Jones is a Psycho

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dstone2962, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    So now, Jerry needs to follow the Jags blueprint, on how to run a NFL franchise? Oh boy!
  2. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't see what's revisionist about anything I posted. What fact did I get wrong?

Absolutely, although it's naive to think that Johnson's departure is solely responsible. Johnson's departure happened to coincide with the modern salary cap, which was the dominant factor in our slide after 1995.

I'm not exactly a Jerry Jones fan, but at least I'm objective.
  3. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    The worst thing that could have ever happened to Cowboys fans was that 1995 Super Bowl victory. It was SO awesome at the time, but it's been a nightmare in the nearly 2 decades since then.

It fed Jerry's ego. It let Jerry say "I can win a Super Bowl without Jimmy!" And he's been trying to do it (his way) every since.

Had Dallas not gone to that Super Bowl, the argument would be "Jerry can't/couldn't win a Super Bowl without Jimmy Johnson."
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,708 Messages
    9,936 Likes Received
    Wow is that not about the most ignorant post I've read here.

Yeah, gang. We wouldn't have won those titles without Jerry making those personnel moves.

Oh, and he's got 20 years of experience. That's pretty big. He's had to maintain the ability to breathe to keep his job.

Jerry's got a pretty good resume when somebody else is doing the thinking. When left to his own devices as an actual GM of the team, he's about the worst you'll ever find.
  5. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,607 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    The only person that would agree with you is... Jerry.
  6. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

957 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Boom!
  7. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,733 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    I don't think Jerry is a psycho. I think he is as fed up with losing as we are. The only difference between him and us is we see where the problem originates and he either doesn't see it or sees it and refuses to do anything about it.

I think it is the latter. I believe that Jerry is so desperate to win a SB his way and shake the Jimmy Johnson stigma that he is willing to ignore everything, including common sense, to do it.

And just FYI...I've never questioned Jerry's desire to win. I only question the methods he uses to try to win.
  8. Risen Star

22,708 Messages
    9,936 Likes Received
    It's scary if people actually believe that.

I mean, wow. Jerry made those moves back then.
  9. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,607 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Exactly. Except it wasn't just the worst thing for the fans, but for the franchise. They are now being held hostage by a maniacal narcissist who sees absolutely nothing wrong with how he's doing things.
  10. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What's ignorant about it? Maybe you need a dictionary. Otherwise enlighten me.

I mean, I'm sure you're going to say that it was Jimmy's idea to trade Herschel, which it was. But what other GM in the NFL is making moves without input from the organization. Wasn't Jerry the one that canvassed the league to get the best offer possible?
  11. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Or Jimmy cannot win without Jerry. Old arguement.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,944 Messages
    7,692 Likes Received
    My sentiments, exactly.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Another thing that makes Jerry a psycho...

Ben Rogers told the story today of how right after yesterday's show, they went to eat at a barbecue joint and who was right ahead of them in line but Jerry. So Ben starts up a conversation, and Jerry says yes, I think we met once, good to see you again, etc. So they're small-talking and it's a little awkward because Jerry is so friendly, but he says he listens to the show. So Ben knows that Jerry knows Ben is always killing him as being an idiot GM, a hillbilly panties salesman, etc. Finally Jerry addresses this by saying that he doesn't mind anything they say about him as long as they're talking about him. Jerry even related the story of the late 90s when Irvin and others were having all their off-field problems and Jerry was asking a trusted friend if he had to cut these guys. The friend said, "What are you talking about, these guys are giving you tons of free publicity and keeping you in the news!"

So Jerry freely admits that he makes splash moves to keep his team in the news and doesn't care one bit about people calling him the worst kind of names... As long as they're talking about him.

And Ben says he came away loving Jerry as a guy, even though he hates him as a GM.

So all this bashing of Jerry... He doesn't mind it one bit. He even enjoys it. And he isn't going to change.
  14. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,294 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    Yes, Jerry put those SB teams together as a relative football novice and he's just run into a 20 streak of bad luck. I guess it's just a coincidence that Jerry so good and savvy his first 4 years but so "unlucky" the next 16 or so. I hate it when that happens.......
  15. Risen Star

22,708 Messages
    9,936 Likes Received
    It's the weirdest thing.

Oh well. At least we now know our structure isn't flawed.

Go Cowboys!!
  16. Risen Star

22,708 Messages
    9,936 Likes Received
    Well I'm a little different than Ben. I hate him as a GM and as a person.

All the back slapping, wink wink, hillbilly stuff wouldn't fly with me. He's still the guy who destroyed my football team.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,944 Messages
    7,692 Likes Received
    I can totally see this, and it's pretty obvious that Jerry does things to keep the Cowboys brand front-and-center. I don't think that's psychotic, though. I think it's pretty smart.

It begets RS's tired argument, though, as to whether or not Jerry does things to get attention that are to the detriment of the team's play on the field. My inclination is that there are situations where he will do that, but that, generally speaking, he understands that it's good for his brand to be highly competitive and that he's willing to move mountains to make that the case to the extent that he can. Jerry's a mixed bag. A whole lot of good with a whole lot of bad.
  18. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And it has advantages. What ever the hell they are!
  19. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Meh. I never said anything like that at all, and I'm certainly not interested in defending someone I'm not really a fan of.

Have it your way.

As an aside, I think it ironic that on a site crawling with Redskins and Eagles fans you somehow manage to be the most abrasive. Pleasure chatting with you.
  20. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Dallas post-season the last fifteen years:
    1998 - Lost to Arizona in Wildcard Round
    1999 - Lost to Vikings in Wildcard Round
    2003 - Lost to Panthers in Wildcard Round
    2006 - Lost to Seahawks in Wildcard Round
    2007 - Lost to Giants in Divisional Round
    2009 - Won against Eagles in Wildcard Round
    2009 - Lost to Vikings in Divisional Round

15 Year Postseason Record - 1-6
    10 Year Postseason Record - 1-4

Jacksonville post-season the last fifteen years
    1997 - Lost to Broncos in Wildcard Round
    1998 - Won against Patriots in Wildcard Round
    1998 - Lost against Jets in Divisional Round
    1999 - Won Divisional round against Dolphins
    1999 - Lost Conference Championship to Titans
    2005 - Lost Wildcard to Patriots
    2007 - Won Wildcard Round against Steelers
    2007 - Lost Divisional Round against Patriots

15 Year Postseason Record - 3-5
    10 Year Postseason Record - 1-2

Hate to say it (seriously, I do hate to say it given how bad the Jags have been), but it looks like that is pretty much what we have been doing.