1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

In Sum: Why Jerry Jones is a Psycho

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dstone2962, Jan 11, 2013.

1. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,951 Messages
    355 Likes Received
    You know there are really good football topics on aisle 7.... Much better value this worn out over, opinionated garbage that people have no control over.
  2. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,603 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    He had an actual football guy moving people around.

For those who equate the Herschel Walker trade as being equally Jimmy's/Jerry's doing, think of your mom cooking a meal and having you go ask the next door neighbor if she will trade a bag of sugar for a bag of flour, and you going doing what you are told. Are you both equally responsible for the ensuing feast?

I would think not. Don't let participation fool you.

I for one would never believe Jerry is purposely undermining the team, but he would rather lose his way than win someone else's way. He knows what he needs to do, just refuses to do it, much less acknowledge it.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,529 Messages
    9,691 Likes Received
    It's real easy to keep track of. Jimmy controlled the personnel while he was here. Jimmy left because Jerry wanted to. In March of 1994 there was a distinct power shift away from the head coach and to the owner. And the results that followed reflect that.
  4. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,461 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    People made fun of him when he bought the team, referring to him as Jethro (Beverly Hillbillies if you're too young to remember). In fact, before the Super Bowls both Jerry and Jimmy were referred to as The Clampetts. After they started winning, the name-calling died down. Even then, Jimmy received most of the credit so Jerry Jones has always been considered somewhat of a joke. I remember they made a big deal about him roaming the sidelines. Some of it just comes with the territory of owning the Dallas Cowboys.
  5. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,603 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    And this is different from anything else posted here how?
  6. Risen Star

22,529 Messages
    9,691 Likes Received
    I definitely agree with you there.

Jerry was hated initially and then beloved. Now he's hated again. Maybe more than he's ever been.

But I still run into a Cowboys fan here or there who tells me he's never forgiven Jerry for how he treated Landry.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,056 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    I don't know, maybe. I think it's about the same, the who may have changed.

I too run into those fans. I was one of them, but Bum Bright had as much or more to do with firing Landry than Jerry did, and I agree with you that Landry's time was over. I wanted Jimmy in 1987.
  8. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,206 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    Interesting Jerry takes. I am not sure how I would have felt as a fan if I had been around when Coach Landry was fired. All I can do is watch NFL Films & it's apparent what a fine coach & man he was.
  9. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,603 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    He was, definitely. But his time had passed.

He deserved a more graceful exit from the game, and that's what infuriated most of the fan base, including me.

When they started winning Super Bowls, everyone knew Jerry was 2nd fiddle, even him. I could live with that because despite what he claims today, he let Jimmy run the show. When Jimmy got the credit and Jerry realized that people weren't accepting him as a "football guy", he made the move and this franchise has been pretty much irrelevant since then.
  10. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,347 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    Yes, but the Chiefs have all those playoff victories.

Wait a second....

YR
  11. Risen Star

22,529 Messages
    9,691 Likes Received
    I think the fact Jerry has said publicly he wished he handled it differently should be enough for those people to move on from it.

I've never questioned his class. He made a mistake and learned from it.
  12. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Me thinks Jerry's using reverse psychology on these guys to go easy on him. I doubt he cares what Ben & Co say about him, at least not as much as a superbowl winning coach like Jimmy Johnason or Brian Billick say on a nationally televised show. You could tell it was eating at him when Jimmy was going on radio shows promoting his bio in NFL Network's "A Football Life". Everybody was talking about it and made Jerry very very uncomfortable. Especially since it came out the next wednesday after we lost at home to the Giants (again).
  13. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Thanks all. Reading this thread is making me chuckle.
  14. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,603 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    I love how some people like to hold of the dregs of the NFL who also have the proper structure as examples of what the Cowboys would be if they did things the right way. If you really looked at things objectively, you would realize that as it stands right now, KC and the Jags, with the right people in place, have a better chance of establishing themselves as a powerhouse before the Cowboys do. That's a fact.
  15. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    For those too young to remember...

The Cowboys were built as a class organization by a great coach and man -- Tom Landry. He was admired and respected throughout the league. When Jerry came on the scene, no one knew who he was... The first impression he made was firing Landry in a disrespectful and poor manner. The Jimmy/Jerry show with the Walker trade was able to rebuild the team quickly in the early 90's. Unfortunately the success from coach Johnson made everyone forget about the character, style, and organizational changes that GM Jerry brought. After 17 years of failure and mediocrity as GM, the Cowboys once proud franchise is now laughed at by the entire league.
  16. Hostile

119,056 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    No, it's laughed at by the know nothing media and the fans who care about the media views. I guarantee you no football team thinks the Cowboys are a joke. That would be monumentally stupid. Ask the Steelers if we are a joke. I was at the Atlanta game and aferwards on the Atlanta news the Falcons players were saying we were the toughest team that they had played.

That kind of testimonial isn't laughter and derision.
  17. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received

Your right. I should have more directly said GM Jerry is laughed at...everyone I know that is not a Cowboy fan laughs at Jerry. Most say he is the "new" Al Davis of the league. Cowboy fans don't laugh...not as funny.
  18. Hostile

119,056 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    Again by the fans and the media, not by the teams.
  19. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who ever said they were equally responsible for it? It was mostly Jimmy's doing.

But, if you think Jimmy wrangled all the picks and players by himself, you're fooling yourself. According to Norm Hitzges, Jimmy would have traded Michael Irvin to the Raiders for a couple of picks if Al Davis hadn't talked him out of it.

On the balance, Jerry has been a bad GM for the Cowboys IMO. But, too many people make it their mission to deny every little bit of credit to Jones to fit the narrative they've concocted. It strips them of their credibility.
  20. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

2,021 Messages
    1,145 Likes Received

and for every current player that compliments the team (which they really have to do while they are still playing- they are not gonna call someone out)
    I can find a former player, former coach or former NFL Exec that thinks the Cowboys' situation is a farce. IE. Tom Jackson, who does not say things for shock value, saying....how can I expect the Cowboys to do well? How can I have any confidence in them? Jerry Jones is running the team.