1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

In the spirit of reconciliation...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ScipioCowboy, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,563 Messages
    1,651 Likes Received
    I would like to pose this question to the forum:

What quality in your political opposition do you most admire and seek to incorporate into your own point of view?

This quality can be a concept (such as patriotism or individualism), a specific issue (such as lower taxes or national health care), a person (such as Joe Lieberman), or some combination thereof.

Obviously, if you fall on the right side of the political spectrum, you would pull a quality from the left. If you were centrist, you could pull a quality from either (or both) of the extremes. Even if you're political amorphous, it's still very likely that, at some point in time, you were diametrically opposed to certain candidates or movements, from which you could pull qualities.

I'll go first.

In general, I'm very much opposed to the American Left and the vast majority of its ideas, but I do greatly admire its ability to examine critically the policy and international undertakings of the US government. Too often, conservatives wrap themselves in the flag, and never see anything beyond the star and stripes. Patriotism should be embraced and celebrated, but it should never blinds us to the wrongdoings and faults of our country.

I wish more conservatives could view our country as objectively.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,388 Messages
    1,435 Likes Received
    Hmm. Not at all sure how to answer this. I'm going to answer to both sides.

I admire that Conservatives do not want bigger Government and Socialization of things like gas prices and Health Care. I consider that a disaster waiting to happen and too many people who want it have no idea what they are wanting. I cannot understand why anyone would want us to be taxed more. We pay enough taxes. It is the biggest expense of our lives. We spend nearly a third of our year just to meet what we pay in taxes. I do not want bigger government and more taxes.

I admire that Liberals want to protect and preserve our environment. I want cleaner air. I want cleaner water. I can't fathom not wanting these things. I am also a proponent of harvesting hemp to make paper instead of using trees. I also really respect the movement towards "Green" Construction and would like to see it really take off.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,704 Messages
    2,730 Likes Received
    I admire libertarians and constitutionalist.

Sadly the republican party is not longer about smaller government and fiscal conservatism as they used to be.

If you want that type of mentality you have to look towards the libertarian party. Only problem is they have too many ideas that are just not realistic at this juncture of our country. I just don't ever see us getting rid of the IRS for example. Good or bad, even if it is the best idea ever...just don't see it happening.

But I still applaud them for sticking to their convictions and trying to educate people even though they know the odds are against them and that even the party that should share their basic principals, Republicans, make fun of them and try to block their ability to campaign in all states.

Now for the Republican party. I can't stand what they have become. I hate the tactics they use in elections and the depths they will fall to. But there is no denying they have a way to pull out victories even from the jaws of defeat. Hate the way they do it but their track record in elections is hard to beat.

Now for the democratic party. I only seem to find myself aligning with them on some social issues although if one were to really interpret that, it would also fall in line with libertarian principles with the idea of freedoms and rights to the individual and not a larger role in government to justify a stance. And truth be told they may talk a good game on some of those social issues but in the end they, just like the republicans, use it as a talking point and I have yet to see them be truly serious on certain things.

So as you can tell...not a real big fan of the two major parties. What I would like to see is a slightly modified Libertarian party with it's core principals in place but with a few exceptions. They, IMO, are really the closest to what the founding fathers envisioned IMO and the two major parties have become nothing but a bloated tick on the belly of money and power.:D
  4. Apefist

Apefist New Member

193 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's due to the neocon scourge. They are pro-war, pro-Israel big government corporate bureaucrats that cross party lines. Cheney, Rumsfeld, Doug Feith (DoD), Wolfewitz, Libby, Ledeen...and...Bill and Hillary Clinton, Joe Lieberman, Nancy Pelosi--they are all about the neocon cause. And they cozy up to Christians during an election year, then toss them aside when they are through with them.

I'm big on quotes, so I think this one is profound:

But, as long as we're talking ideologically, I admire the attempt at fiscal conservatism and the mouth service Republicans give to making the US a free market based, supply-side economy with no big government entitlements. And I like how the Democrats pretend to stand up for the every day man against corporate tyranny, even though they do the opposite, and screw the worker every bit as much as the Republicans end up doing.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,199 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    As a Conservative, I wish I could see more (from both parties) in the way of honesty. Pure and simple "tell the damn truth" type government. It will never happen but that's what I'd like to see. Just tell me the truth.
  6. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Libertarian part of me knows that smoking bans are unjust... but I just hate cigarette smoke, so I secretly root for the liberals' attempts to ban smoking everywhere.

I'm also against the death penalty... although it's an issue I have a hard time getting too worked up over.

I'm also opposed to censorship... it makes me mad when some conservatives want to ban things in the popular culture because they think it's "corrupting to children" i.e. Howard Stern, South Park, Simpsons, etc... If you're really concerned about that, then do a better job of keeping an eye on your kids and what they watch... don't ruin something fun for everyone else.

Oh yeah, and I like lesbians... not your angry ugly feminist type lesbians... but hot lipstick lesbians. They're pretty cool in my book. So I'm with the liberals on that one. :D
  7. ScipioCowboy

14,563 Messages
    1,651 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Oh, and the flag burning amendment was the epitome of asinine.:D
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,667 Messages
    427 Likes Received
    I admire the way some on the liberal path quested for civil rights in dangerous areas like Mississippi.
  9. ScipioCowboy

14,563 Messages
    1,651 Likes Received
    I don't support any amendment that would attempt to define marriage in any way - this simply isn't the place of the Constitution.
  10. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I consider myself a conservative and believe in the Constitution. (It is not a 'living document"). I was able to come up with three.

1. Zel Miller.
    2. Lieberman's position on national defense. (could insert McCain)
    3. JFK's inauguration speech.
  11. Apefist

Apefist New Member

193 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Amen! And it would be nice if there were no more career politicians. Term limits: they cut down on nepotism, cronyism, lobbyist influence. And create a two year moratorium for former congressmen before they can go to work as a lobbyist. I mean, the head of the subcommitee on Medicare Reform loses an election and then goes right to work as a Pharmaceutical lobby that hammered through that awful Medicare bill! I smell a conflict of interest.

Take money out of politics, and what do you have left? Once upon a time, you might have said "honest bipartisan legislation."
  12. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,035 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    I am more of a Singularitarian. :D
  13. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,606 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I think Democrats give very well prepared and gracious concession speeches after election night and wish that kind of discourse could be a regular event in politics.:D;)
  14. Chinfu

Chinfu Member

195 Messages
    0 Likes Received

This quote needs more attention.
  15. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Yeah, and I love the way when the lose an election they suddenly want the winning side to unify and reach across the aisle so we can heal as a nation..

Yet when the Dems win they suddenly have a mandate and the last thing they think of is reaching out to the the Republicans to come together and heal and compromise.
  16. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,667 Messages
    427 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,704 Messages
    2,730 Likes Received
    Not much difference from either party where that is concerned.

People complained because the current dems are on witch hunts, people complained when the repub controlled congress had their witch hunts.

When the dems say you can support the troops while blasting the president, the repubs say no you can't...somehow forgetting they did the same thing when bill was in office.

It is the same old mouse in a maze looking for cheese...a seemingly endless maze.

That is just another reason I don't want Obama to win is I don't want one party to have total control over congress and the executive branch. It is just a recipe for disaster for EITHER party to control both because they can run rough shot over things like Bill and dem congress did and W and repub congress did.

Two parties having power over everything is bad enough...One party in control is the worse thing possible.
  18. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    I admire George Soros' extreme wealth.
  19. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,408 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    As a libertarian, I don't think there's anything I admire in statists, other than the ability that an in-your-face government can stimulate a dead economy back to life (e.g. Germany after WW1/Hitler/fascism).
  20. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Good one!