1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Incredible... How is there not more hype about this guy?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CanuckCowboysFan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    vert- 37"
    broad- 10'
    shuttle- 4.21
    3 cone- 6.88

Are those Clay Mathews' numbers? No. Demarcus Wares? No.

Those are JJ Watts combine numbers. Now, I knew them before, but looking over them just makes me :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

A 290 pound man w/ those numbers? That is more impressive then a skill position player running a 4.1 IMO.

For a comparison.
    Clay Mathews - 6.90 3-cone time; 4.18 shuttle time; 35.5'' vert; 10'01'' broad jump

DWare - 6.85 3-cone time; 4.07 shuttle time; 38.5'' vert; 10'02'' broad jump

Brian Orapko - 39.5'' vert; 10'10'' broad jump; 7.26 3-cone time; 4.45 shuttle time

Tamba Hali - 7.28 3-cone time; 4.31 shuttle time; 30'' vert; 8'10'' broad jump

Dontay Moch - 42'' vert; 10'08'' broad jump; 7.09 3-cone time

Again, a 290 pound man.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Not going to get an argument from me. He IS the most over looked player in this draft by the fans. I can promise you though, he is not flying under the radar with NFL teams. It's going to be interesting to see where he settles but I'm willing to bet he goes earlier then most fans will project.
  3. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,795 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I think he makes a push to be in the top 10 picks before it's all said and done.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Would be at all surprised if we're the ones who pull the trigger. I had thought Dareus, but he might go too high now. I wouldn't underestimate the Wisconsin connection with RJ.
  5. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dallas at 9? Hmmmmmmm. Can't wait till the draft !!
  6. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,330 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    the more i learn about this guy, the more I think he should be our guy.
  7. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Devi's Advocate:

Can anyone name one good, not great, defensive linemen from Wisconsin, who is playing in the NFL right now?

This would be a terrible pick, imo.

If Dallas picks J.J. Watt at 9, it's going to be a long, long, long year.

I don't think this guy has the start/stop athletic skill required to chase the football fast in the NFL or the initial burst to pursue and close on the football fast. I don't want Chris Long at pick 9. I would be wary of his work outs in combine drills. He has a good motor, but this guy has no business what so ever going in the top 10.

No one will ever sell me on J.J. Watt at 9, either. But, I'm not picking...LOL
  8. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would rather trade back, get a third round pick, and take Cameron Jordan, than take J.J. Watt.
  9. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For the love of football, trade up for Peterson or Dareus.

That is what I would be saying if I knew this pick was coming.
  10. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,966 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Before Tony Romo could you name one good, not great player from Eastern Illinois?

Before Dez Bryant, could you name one good, not great WR from Ok St?

Right now, is there any CB from LSU that's good?

The point is, you take players one at a time.
  11. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Corey Webster played at LSU although the OKS one stumps me. However, they have a big time receiver following Bryant and in the pipeline. The only Wisconsin DE (Erasmus James) who went in round one was a bust. At least, he is the only one that I can recall.

Watt could buck the trend and be the ultimate, but I'm not taking that gamble in the top 10 and I'm not even close to being sold on him being a true impact player. He wouldn't be the first work out warriior to be over drafted. He could be a solid 34 end, but he isn't a top ten talent, imo.

http://blog.playmakermobile.com/blog/dave-razzano-nfl-scout-for-playmaker-mobile.html

This is a link to a former NFL scout who thought Chris Long was a second round pick. Long went number 2 overall and hasn't played like a top 10 pick or number 2 pick.

I wonder what he thinks of Watt.

Certain schools produce top NFL talent pretty consistent over time. What has Wisconsin produced in the NFL? Schools can produce great on defense or offense or at given positions.

That is a legit question.

Who has Wisconsin produced in the NFL that is really good or great?

If Watt goes in the top 10 picks, he is going to be over drafted, imo.

When you draft in the top 10, you need a big impact player, not just a solid player who fills a need. JMO
  12. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh brother. I have no idea if he'll pan out or not, but I'm not about to hold his school (which is also my alma mater) against him. The Niners didn't hold Mississippi Valley State against Jerry Rice. Hell, Gil Brandt made his name by finding jewels at small-time, non-glamorous football programs. If he had held his nose in the air like an elitist snob, that would have cost us guys like Cliff Harris, Cornell Green and Rayfield Wright.
  13. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I did forget Joe Thomas...Top 5 OT tackle in the NFL. LOL I'll give them props for that one.

Lee Evans...Owen Daniels...

However, after those guys..

You will see a list of super commons playing in the NFL from Wisconsin right now, in the NFL...

And...

No standout defensive players...
  14. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he another Igor
  15. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jim Leonhard was a solid safety for the Jets before his December injury.
  16. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That "isn't the only thing" I'm "holding against him". It is a legit point. I agree with Wes Bunting on Watt's projection to the NFL. I'm saying that Watt isn't a top 10 pick. Furthermore, I gave you (bbgun) the athletic reasons that I don't like J.J. Watt in the top 10. I'm not sold on his combine workouts matching his tape in the Big Ten based on what I've researched.

NFL teams are going to challenge him with more speed and quickness, too. The NFL is a league of speed, quickness, and power, not just power. Most of the teams in the Big Ten are power teams.

If Watt hits it big time in the modern/new NFL era or recent NFL history, he's going to be a pioneer from Wisconsin, on defense. Those guys you listed are exceptions to the general rule. Wisconsin isn't a small school. It is a big program in the Big Ten.

Who are all the other defensive linemen that Wisconsin has put into the NFL, who are playing now? That is just another piece of the puzzle, imo.

Watt would hardly be the first solid player over drafted after big combine work outs.

He will not be the last.

I'm not trying to offend anyone associated with Wisconsin, but reality is reality, imo.

Again, Watt may be the ultimate and be the first, but I'm not gambling on a player who doesn't deserve to be drafted in the top 10, imo.

I don't want Chris Long at 9. Long was over drafted in the top 5, number 2 overall. Long put up eye popping numbers at the combine, and those work out numbers have not translated onto the football field.

The Cowboys are not good enough to draft Chris Long at 9 and survive next year.
  17. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If your primary concern is physical ability, then why mention his school at all? Doing so in a negative manner was at best gratuitous. As an alum, my greatest satisfaction comes from their competitiveness in the Big Ten and subsequent bowl games, not feeding the NFL with prospects. I too am wary of combine "workout warriors," but most mocks projected him as a first rounder even before his good showing in Indy. Whether he's "top ten" worthy remains to be seen.
  18. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,288 Messages
    2,709 Likes Received
    DeMarcus Ware's numbers are manly.
  19. Az Lurker

Az Lurker The Lurker

297 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    No good DL out of Wisconson?

How many great pass rushers came out of Troy before Ware and Mathius?

Someone has to start the trend.

Mind you, I've never seen the guy play, but those are highly impressive numbers for a guy who's 290 pounds
  20. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Player evaluation is not your strongest attribute.

There is NOTHING similar about the two.