1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

india v pakistan

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by daschoo, Mar 30, 2011.

1. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,441 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    cricket world cup semi final today.
    most folk won't care i realise but they're expecting over a billion in tv audience. arguably the biggest sports game on the planet in terms of numbers, history between the two and the current political tensions.
    should be good
  2. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This a five day affair, or is it one of the 8 hour international matches?

Most people don't realize how huge of a game this is for both nations. There is a tremendous amount of national pride that comes with winning the match. That cannot be overstated, I feel.

EDIT: I'm sufficiently surprised that BSPN.com has it on the front page.
  3. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,441 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    One day international, 50 overs each.
    Read earlier that 60% of indias white collar workers have taken the day off and pakistan have declared a national holiday
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

37,347 Messages
    3,488 Likes Received
    So long as they don't start shooting at each other, we'll be in good shape.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,178 Messages
    2,626 Likes Received
    Well, when someone wins just let us know.
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

32,455 Messages
    895 Likes Received
    Are they playing in Kashmir? If so, they might start shooting! :laugh2:
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

56,625 Messages
    9,071 Likes Received
    You aren't going to follow the game thread?

:laugh2:
  8. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    India v. Pakistan...

rock throwing contest??

;)
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,178 Messages
    2,626 Likes Received
    How could you?

You need meth to last through one of these games.

How the hell does it end?

From what I can tell, it looks like India is winning. I've got a buddy who's probably gonna show up smashed today. He's probably celebrating right now.
  10. romomania

romomania Active Member

604 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Why is there a thread on this here haha? Woke up at 430am to watch this than left for the office at around 830. Following it on my blackberry, I'm about to be real tired real fast
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,606 Messages
    1,511 Likes Received
    What an ignorant thing to say.
  12. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    It's a joke, Francis.
  13. Temo

Temo Well-Known Member

3,790 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    I feel like most Americans probably feel about the world cup, and most foreigners feel about the Super Bowl: interested because so many people are so emotionally invested and it's hard to ignore that level of human emotion, but still uninterested in the actual game.

I'm watching for today though.
  14. Temo

Temo Well-Known Member

3,790 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    They did win, though it would have been a monumental loss if they hadn't. They were favored fairly heavily. They will favorites in the final vs. Sri Lanka as well.
  15. SC Cowboyfan

SC Cowboyfan Member

740 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The final will be 5am eastern Saturday morning....I'll be watching online...;)
    and by the way, India has NEVER lost a world cup match against Pakistan..:D
  16. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,441 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    not watching it live, my friends sky+ (same idea as tivo i think, save to hard drive watch later) ing it so we're going to the pub to watch celtic play in inverness then going to see a lower league soccer game then back to his with some beers (i'll be wearing my india cricket shirt i bought over there) and watching the final as live with the added bonus of skipping the adverts.

i thought they were going to struggle today to be honest, especially once the run rate slowed down when sehwag went. even with two overs left of the pakistani innings i wasn't convinced.
    sri lanka are 4-2 up against india in world cup games which is a bit of a worry if you buy into past form counting for anything.
  17. Temo

Temo Well-Known Member

3,790 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Saturday morning should be interesting for me. I'll be getting up early to watch some cricket, then tekking down to Washington DC (4 hour drive) to watch the Braves and Nationals play.
  18. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,448 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I've gotta say, I love the Cowboys, but I stayed up to watch this match (haven't slept since Monday night) in one of the school auditoriums, and this was probably the greatest game I've been able to see, just for the excitement that was there.

For India fans, it doesn't get any better than this. Playing Pakistan in the semifinals had the potential to either be the worst or best game for India since the 1983 World Cup win.

Honestly, after India's innings, Pakistan looked like they were in great position to chase and win the match, but of all things, India's bowling (think weakness a la Alan Ball) steps up to choke Pakistan's comeback chances.

Heh, all the Pakistan fans who were waving their flags in my face during India's innings were all but crying by the end of the match :D
  19. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,448 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

awesome contribution
  20. Temo

Temo Well-Known Member

3,790 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Nice, sounds like a great time. All the normal cricket-watching venues in NYC are apparantly booked up already for India-Sri Lanka.