1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Infuriating Pat Tillman article...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received

Well that person has the right to write that type of tripe.....because of people like Pat Tillman, who have the desire and convictions to serve this country.

If we did not have those type of people like Tillman throughout the history of the US...then that tripe the girl was spewing would never be in print or on an interenet.

Sad thing is that I would imagine that the person that wrote that is nothing more then a person who is starving for attention so they take radical views in order to garner that attention. These are the same type of people who would say they were fighting the Government to stop the war and bring the boys back safe from war...yet when the boys come back from war they SPIT on them because they are wearing a Military Uniform...oh of course I am talking about Vietnam.

So I say to the person that wrote that article of tripe....sweety you are not doing anything new. You are not helping a cause and in the end you are only validating that if it were not for people who served because they felt a conviction to do so, you would not have the freedom, liberty or in some cases ability to write the article.
    So while you think you are putting something out of substance, while you think you are giving someone out there a big middle finger, while you think you are rebelling against the gov, while you think you are shocking other people out there...just sit back and think the men in the past who were like a Pat Tillman...because if not for them you would not even have the RIGHT to write something like that article, no matter how you feel about him or people like him.
  3. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  4. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  5. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  6. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Can't get on due to "high traffic". I think this kid was high when he wrote that article. Maybe he just wanted attention. If so, he may end up changing his mind in the next few weeks.
  7. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    In my post below (Infruiating Pat Tillman article...), I have a low bandwidth version of the article that pulls up quicker.
  8. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Sometimes the power of stupidity can actually inspire awe. This was one of those times.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I merged the two threads together since they were about the same article/topic.
  10. marsbennett

marsbennett Mars Man

1,068 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What do you expect from college campus writers from one of the most liberal states in the US.....Untimately, who give a sheot what those dumb ***** have to say. Mass and Conn. actually took a Saturday on high school campuses to allow the teaching of the joys of fisting, how to have sex in the back seat of cars, and how to use oral sex as a safe alternative to intercourse.......

They can have their opinions and teachings.......just keep them north of the Mason Dixon Line. Moronic!
  11. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,078 Messages
    543 Likes Received
    Some people are idiots, enough said. While writers often have puff pieces on people, this was not one of them. Tillman deserves better than that.

This person might be joining Tillman face to face if they post garbage like this. We can let the two of them settle up afterwards.
  12. marsbennett

marsbennett Mars Man

1,068 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    College president at UMass reacts:

UMass president criticizes student's column on felled soldier
    By Associated Press | April 29, 2004

AMHERST -- A University of Massachusetts graduate student who wrote a campus newspaper column saying former NFL player Pat Tillman was not a hero for being killed while fighting in Afghanistan was sharply criticized Thursday by the school's president.

ADVERTISEMENT

UMass president Jack Wilson issued a statement saying Rene Gonzalez' comments in The Daily Collegian "are a disgusting, arrogant and intellectually immature attack on a human being who died in service to his country."

In his column, which ran Wednesday on the opinion page and was posted on the newspaper's Web site, Gonzalez called the former Arizona Cardinals safety a "G.I. Joe guy who got what was coming to him."

"That was not heroism," Gonzalez wrote. "It was prophetic idiocy."

His column, which ran next to a column praising Tillman as a hero, also criticizes America's military response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Tillman, the San Jose, Calif., native who gave up his NFL career to join the Army Rangers in 2002, was killed in combat April 22 in Afghanistan.

While recognizing Gonzalez' right to free speech, Wilson said the student owes Tillman a "debt of gratitude," and said he should apologize to Tillman's friends and family.

The state Senate on Thursday approved a resolution of condemnation, with one member, Sen. Robert Hedlund, R-Weymouth, calling Gonzalez a "nitwit."

Jared Nokes, president of the Student Government Association, also issued a statement condemning Gonzalez' column.

Gonzalez did not respond to telephone and e-mail messages left Thursday by The Associated Press.

In a response to the controversy generated by the column, the paper's editorial board ran a letter to readers in Thursday's edition saying Gonzalez's views do not reflect The Collegian's opinion.

"We do not hold back from printing news stories, columns or editorials that may upset our readership -- instead, we seek to both inform and stir debate through our publication," the letter said. "Our decision to publish Gonzalez' column -- an opinion piece written by a member of our campus community -- is the only way for us to live up to this ideal."

------
  13. Ben_n_austin111

Ben_n_austin111 Benched

734 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IMO, Pat Tillman is a hero because he fought for what he believed in.

I do believe that every soldier that is lost is a tragety.

I also believed that they are there fighting for something that they were lied to about.

Pat Tillman died, becuase he was lied to.

IMO, he is still a hero.

And so is every single other soldier who has fought in this "war".

The fact is, no one should've had to die for this "war".
  14. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pat Tillman died fighting in Afghanistan.

I hope you don't think eliminating the Taliban from power was unjustified.
  15. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,097 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Pat Tillman was not lied too, unless of course you are saying that in addition to President Bush, John Kerry, Hilary Clinton, Bill Clinton, and Ted Kennedy to name just a few also believed Iraq had WMD.

I honestly do not have a problem with people arguing the merits of this war, but saying President Bush lied about WMD is simply not true...unless of course you agree that all the top democratic leadership has been lying about WMD in Iraq as well.

And as it has already been mentioned, but Pat Tillman did not die in Iraq.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Associated Press
    AMHERST, Mass. -- A University of Massachusetts at Amherst graduate student has apologized to Pat Tillman's family.

Rene Gonzalez wrote a column for the campus paper saying the football player-turned-soldier who died in combat in Afghanistan wasn't a hero -- but rather a "G.I. Joe guy who got what was coming to him."

Gonzalez did not respond to telephone and e-mail messages left Thursday by The Associated Press, but in an e-mail to Boston's WBZ-TV, he apologized to the Tillman family "for all the pain that my article has brought them."

Gonzalez said he was trying to convey that Tillman's celebrity came into play when the former Arizona Cardinals player was labeled a hero.

"I felt that his celebrity had been a factor in American society calling him a 'hero,' and I felt American society had arrived at that conclusion without much thinking, but rather as some sort of patriotic 'knee-jerk' into hero worship," he wrote. "That was my point. I did it [admittedly] in such an insensitive way, that the article was not worth publishing."

UMass president Jack Wilson issued a statement saying the comments in The Daily Collegian on Wednesday were "a disgusting, arrogant and intellectually immature attack on a human being who died in service to his country."

The newspaper's editorial board ran a letter to readers in Thursday's edition saying Gonzalez's views do not reflect The Collegian's opinion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1792673
  17. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Just curious...So Pat Tillman saw the events of 9-11 and decided he had convictions to serve his country and yet he died because he was lied to?

Ben you need to keep your political views out of this thread...seriously.
  18. jamez25

jamez25 Active Member

1,617 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    amen brother
  19. jamez25

jamez25 Active Member

1,617 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    In his column, which ran Wednesday on the opinion page and was posted on the newspaper's Web site, Gonzalez called the former Arizona Cardinals safety a "G.I. Joe guy who got what was coming to him."
    what a load of crap :mad:
  20. jamez25

jamez25 Active Member

1,617 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    "I felt that his celebrity had been a factor in American society calling him a 'hero,' and I felt American society had arrived at that conclusion without much thinking, but rather as some sort of patriotic 'knee-jerk' into hero worship," he wrote. "That was my point. I did it [admittedly] in such an insensitive way, that the article was not worth publishing."

if you are going to have an opinion one day DO NOT change it the next because people disagree with you....have the balls to stick by what you believed was true to begin with.Freaking no balls having pansy . :mad: