1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Inside al Qaeda underground torture bunkers

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Aug 25, 2009.

1. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I agree. :rolleyes:
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    It is a luxuary, IMO, to view War in this way. I can not. I know the reasons I would fight. Those do not get confused, for me. The methods are what they are but I'm not confused about why I'm at War.

I listened to Allen West earlier this morning. He is running for Congress in Florida's 22nd District in 2010. His story is very reminiscent of what we are discussing here.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That whole comprehension thingy catching up with you again. Post 9 by wheat mentioned how WE should not do things to the bad guys, even though they do it to us. Maybe you should par attention more.

[IMG]
  4. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm glad you agree that the Bush administrations offensive against terror has prevented further attacks and that those who think otherwise are ignorant.

See, you do have a lucid moment or two.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    We have no way of knowing if any "offensive" against terror has had any effect because...well, there is no way of knowing if we would have otherwise been attacked or not.

What you're stating is pure conjecture.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Are you being intentionally dense? That's what he said huh?
  7. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,044 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    There are a lot of very good generals who have disagreed with you.

The slippery slope leads to a very hot place, and it is not so easy to climb back out. And 'War' declared against an ideology and a technique will probably not fare well. These fanatics are evil scum, but until something is done to lessen their stream of fanatical replacements, they will spring back like weeds.

We failed in Afganistan, not because we weren't tough enough, we failed because we did not help provide a viable alternative.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    I guess I've never had the good fortune to meet any of those generals.

We failed in Afghanistan because we walked away from those people. This, IMO, does not apply to Iraq. We have provide all aid imaginable.

Nothing is easy about fighting a War in the Middle East, which is why I was against it to begin with. However, since we have made the decision, I say do what is necessary. No more important tool exists on the battlefield then good intel. Do what needs to be done and end this War.
  9. arglebargle

5,044 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    I agree about the 'walking away'. Sadly, in either place, we won't know for decades who our efforts will end up benefitting.

'What needs to be done' is not so clearly obvious as you seem to think. End this War? We are not fighting a country, that can be defeated in the classic sense. It's not a snake that can be beheaded easilly: More like a hydra, where when one head is lopped off, two spring from the neck....etc.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    A good point and one not lost on me. I posted earlier that we would not be leaving Iraq any time soon. However, that does not mean that we can not end the War in the middle east. There will always be a need to fight terrorisam but it does not have to be open conflict, such as it is today. This, like any War, can be won. I don't believe that it's unclear, as to what needs to be done. Not easy, but I don't believe our military is confused as to what needs to be done.

IMO, their are two ways you can fight this Enemy. You can increase the number of SF operations and troop counts, which means much more CIA invovlement and much greater latitude in how this War is fought or we can be prepared to commit anywhere from 400 to 500 thousand troops in Afghanistan in a conventional War.

What ever we do, America must be ready to fight this War in a way the American public may not find tasteful. You don't fight these people by being respectful. You beat them down at their game, using the tactics they use themselves. It's not what anybody wants to hear but it's true.
  11. arglebargle

5,044 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Fighting a guerilla war conventionally is bad strategy.

You do absolutely have to go with more SF and appropriate tactics. But I think some of the things that have been done are dangerous and counter-productive.

I am not so foolish as to think that this has not gone on in the past. I know that there were American regiments in the Pacific Theatre in WWII that regularly shot all but the highest ranking prisoners, out of hand. But the move from these things being exceptions to them being accepted is dangerous. I often see arguements that in various economic or tax or other government situations, that if allowed we would never manage to go back to the old way. But somehow, this arguement does not apply here?

I am much less troubled with skirting our principles when they are exceptions to the rule, and not the rule.

You have to draw a line somewhere...otherwise we should be calling for Jerry Jones to hire San Antonio toughs to make sure the Eagles top players are 'out of the way'.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    You say this as if it's somehow a bad thing Argle.

:)
  13. arglebargle

5,044 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Never regularly! Only as an exception!
  14. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    So what are we talking? Once a year?
  15. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Wow! I'm glad you're The Count because you surely ain't The Read. :rolleyes:
  16. arglebargle

5,044 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Probably....that sounds reasonable. ;)

Too bad it didn't get done late last year, eh? Though there may have been no helping that let down.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    Ok...that was a bad joke.

Don't try the Veal

Boo Hiss

;) :laugh2:
  18. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Shecky will be here all week.
  19. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    maybe. but the idea they'll play nice if we "stay above it" is pretty silly too.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,862 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    Any idiot that thinks what Al Quueda does has anything to do with our interrogation methods is totaly out to lunch. Anyone who thinks those that hate us hate us because we are mean and nasty to those we catch are just as dumb. They hate us for other reasons.