1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Inside al Qaeda underground torture bunkers

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,017 Likes Received
    There have been members of the press who experienced water boarding voluntarily I doubt anyone is the press would volunteer from some of the tactics used by Al Qaeda.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,952 Messages
    4,300 Likes Received
    And some have volunteered to be water boarded for charity but seem never to do it when offered.

Hmmm.:D
  3. Doomsday101

77,281 Messages
    3,017 Likes Received
    I find it hard to compare water boarding to these torture tactics used by Al Qaeda, people do not volunteer to be tortured if Water boarding is so bad I doubt anyone would ask to experience it. In the meantime if getting someone to talk to save lives requires such tactics then I have no problem with it.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,007 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    Who is suggesting that exactly? We're at war and kicking their *****, ain't nothing nice about that.

Oh okay then, nevermind what I said.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,952 Messages
    4,300 Likes Received
    One being not bad as the other does not justify it.

Or by your standards if they torture one of our guys in order to save some of their followers lives does that make it ok?
  6. Doomsday101

77,281 Messages
    3,017 Likes Received
    I think the means they use are a bit more than water boarding. Sorry people do not volunteer to have a drill through the hand or body parts dislocated. If things like sleep deprivation or water boarding will stop many from being killed I have no issue with it at all.
  7. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You don't die or get injured from waterboarding. Or didn't you know that?
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,909 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    I think that War, as a rule, can not be considered or described as OK. Nothing in War is OK but that's kind of the point, as I see it.

Don't go to War unless your willing to accept blood on your hands. That is what War is. You can not change the nature of it simply because it is dista****l. If we want to say that we are not going to use these kinds of information gathering, then the answer is to cease hostilities and bring all our troops home. Of course, that also has it's own set of consequences. I don't think we can fight this War half way, so to speak. We owe more to our own soldiers then that.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,007 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    You think we'd be fighting half-way if we refrained from torturing prisoners?
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,909 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    Count, I think that the most critical, most important tool on the battlefield is good, reliable information. We fight wars, both conventional and non conventional, based on our ability to use superior technology and superior numbers. All of this revolves around good intelligence.

We are not a nation that has the stomach for a high casualty count. Other countries, such as Russia, China etc., are much more willing to sacrafice soldiers in exchange for meeting military objectives. This is not a statement on our Military. They would sacrafice whatever necessary to win. This is more a statement on the American public. Because of this, it is critical to have good solid intelligence to work from. Bad or poor intel costs lives and resources. It is the most important weapon we have.

I will be honest with you Count. I don't understand why this is not much more accepted. We are in this War because our ability to gather intelligence and analyze it was compramised to begin with. In the early to mid 90s, our country made the decision to scale back our ability to use American intelligence assets to gather information. We were forced to rely on other countries and other sources. This hurt us. Lets get away from why or who made these decisions but instead, focus on the fact that lack of good intel can be directly related to why we are in the War we are in. It seems to me that it's even more clear why we can not handicap our military or intelligence agencies in their primary tasks, where this is concerned. If we are not going to allow them to use all means at their disposal, then we should pull out our troops because we are doing them a disservice IMO. We owe them better. That's just how I see it.
  11. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    It goes back further than that to the days of the Church Committee which severely damaged our overseas intelligence gathering capabilities. Not everything that committee was bad but a great deal of it was, especially regarding intelligence gathering outside of the US.