1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Inside draft position: 10 key combine battles

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 24, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,120 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Third-ranked cornerback:
    Brandon Harris (Miami, Fla.) vs. Jimmy Smith (Colorado) vs. Aaron Williams (Texas)
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/14729660/inside-draft-position-10-key-combine-battle

Smith has the inside track behind Patrick Peterson (LSU) and Prince Amukamara (Nebraska) because of his size, length and aggression in run support. But Williams is similar in stature, and although Harris will measure 1-2 inches shorter than the two 6-footers, he's likely to be the fastest of the three. He's capable of making plays against ball carriers on the outside.

Scouts also want to see the prospects make plays on the ball in position drills.
  2. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,467 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    Don't need a CB, need a safety. I thought that was why everyone loves Peterson.
  3. fishspill

fishspill Well-Known Member

1,348 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Peterson will not be amenable to playing anything but corner. He's playing for his next contract, not this one, and the big money is at corner. If he fails terribly at corner then he might try safety.

I base this upon nothing more than youth, ego, money and common sense. I don't know the man.
  4. cowboyjoe

28,120 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Understand what your saying, but I think if cowboys draft peterson if he falls that far, and they tell him he is a safety, he will play safety..

Remember we drafted safety roy williams at safety and he got a pretty big contract too.

Your slotted at say cowboys draft peterson at # 9 in first round, your slotted by the previous drafting at number 9 in first round last year.

And if with the new CBA if signed before the draft and their is some type of rookie wage salary scale that will take effect too.
  5. fishspill

1,348 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    I'm counting on the CBA capping rookie salaries more strictly than they are now. This only exacerbates the desire of Peterson and his representation to have him playing corner, and 3 years in holding out for a new contract. That's the business. Our wishes-and-buts ain't gonna change it.
  6. cowboyjoe

28,120 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    True, but when they draft you and tell you what position your going to play thats it. In other words, with ole wade, was laid back and players did basically what they wanted, didnt work hard or take orders. Now with a new Sheriff in town with Jason Garrett, they will do what their told, or they will get cut or traded.
  7. fishspill

1,348 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    It would be swell if life worked that way and people didn't have personal motivations that might run contrary to the functioning of the team, but they do. If the Cowboys didn't think he was capable of playing CB in their scheme as well as he could play safety, and they did their due diligence to see if he were okay with this, the issue would be brought up with Peterson or his representation before the draft. My belief is Peterson or his representation would tell anyone in private that PP was playing corner, no exceptions. Players know to say all the right things in public. They don't necessarily mean them.