1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Inside Slant

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Anyone remember that from last year? It was posted before each game and had some good info. Anyone know where that was located on the web?
  2. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought it was a 30 yard slant? :D
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,549 Messages
    1,906 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

Welcome to a new season HH.

Nothing better than being able to laugh at yourself. Brandon Everage anyone?
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,542 Messages
    485 Likes Received

HH threw me off with that. I was like, "Isn't he the one that called it a 30 yard slant? Why is he making fun of it?" lol

:laugh2:
  5. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :grin:
  6. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm obscure like that :cool:
  7. Dyluke

Dyluke Member

442 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
    Just a little inside joke! i love it
  8. CowboysFan02

CowboysFan02 Degree or Bust

810 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Hos, and HH

And Pops I think it is part of the USA Today team report like this one. Think that is what your looking for, but I havent seen it lately, but I have been tied up with school and work.
  9. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,763 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Yeah, USAToday under team reports is where it's from.
  10. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,079 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    Inside Slant
    Posted 9/9/2005 11:03 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/cowboys/home.htm

The Cowboys are finally Bill Parcells' team.

After going 6-10 in 2004, he moved in the off-season to build the team his way, something he didn't do first two seasons here.

Parcells changed the defense to his preferred 3-4. He brought in more of his former players like quarterback Drew Bledsoe, cornerback Aaron Glenn and nose tackle Jason Ferguson and he drafted bigger players for his defense, finally getting the size he likes at linebacker on the defensive line.

How it will works will be decided starting with Sunday's season opener against the Chargers.

"He has drafted a lot of guys with his ideal size," defensive tackle La'Roi Glover said. "He brought in more of his former players. Then the guys that were here before he got here have something going that he likes. He is slowly putting his team together."

Parcells doing it his way has the Cowboys excited because his way has worked so well in the past, considering his three trips to the Super Bowl and two Super Bowl titles.

"It gives us confidence because we know he knows what he is doing," Glover said. "Ultimately we have to go out there and make plays. But the players are here. The talent is here. It's going to be fun."

And while Parcells downplays the remaking of the team in his own image angle, he does acknowledge being anxious for the season to start and putting last season's 6-10 debacle behind him.

Parcells has coached and acted like he has something to prove all off-season. Now he's ready to get going.

"I don't think it's nervousness," Parcells said. "It's more of an anxiety. We all are the same. I don't think there is a coach or a player - this first game all the ears are up. You don't see any droopy ears this week. That's the way the deal is. I'm not trying to make it theatrical. But that's the way it really is. The ears are up."

Parcells is also confident in what his team will be able to accomplish.

Despite keeping 10 rookies, including many who will play important roles in 2005, Parcells expects the Cowboys to come out playing well.

Leading the rookie charge are defensive end Marcus Spears and DeMarcus Ware, the team's two first-round picks. Sixth-round pick Rob Petitti is starting at right tackle. The Cowboys also expect huge first-game contributions from long snapper Jon Condo, running back Tyson Thompson, linebacker Kevin Burnett and defensive linemen Thomas Johnson and Jay Ratliff.

"I feel confident we can play well," Parcells said. "I am hoping we do play well. I think some of our young players feel confident that they can play well. I don't know that they will or not but I am confident that they can."

SERIES HISTORY - 8th meeting. The Cowboys lead the series 5-2. Dallas has won three of the last four, though the Chargers won the last meeting in 2001, 32-21. The Cowboys are 3-1 in games played in San Diego.

NOTES, QUOTES

—Dallas and San Diego have opened the season against each other one other time, with the Cowboys claiming a 17-14 win in Dallas on Sept. 9, 1990.

—Four of the seven games were decided by six points or less.

—The Cowboys are 3-1 in games played in San Diego.

—A victory would increase the Cowboys series advantage to 6-2, including a 4-1 record in San Diego.

—A victory would improve the Cowboys NFC best opening day record to 31-14-1.

—Dallas is trying to open the season with a victory for the first time since 1999, snapping a five-game losing streak in season openers and snap a three-game losing streak to AFC teams.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "We're playing a very good team this week. Anybody who watches football last year knows they're good. But that represents a very good opportunity for us. It really does. I think somehow, if we're able to pull that off, I think it will go a long way for our confidence. I look at it as a great opportunity and hopefully we'll be at our best when we get there. I don't think it's going to be perfect, but we'll just try to get them in position. I've got some young, eager guys who are willing to play harder than somebody else sometimes." —Cowboys coach Bill Parcells.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

PLAYER PERSONNEL NOTES

—S Tony Bua was signed to the practice squad. RB Keylon Kincade was released from the practice squad.

—WR Peerless Price will be a game-time decision on Sunday after signing last week. The Cowboys are trying to decide how much of the offense he can grasp before seeing if he can play against the Chargers.

—WR Patrick Crayton will serve as the primary punt returner against the Chargers.

—QB Drew Bledsoe is excited about playing his first game as a Cowboy. It's the first step toward proving his critics in Buffalo wrong.

—C Al Johnson will rotate at center with Andre Gurode. The Cowboys also plan to rotate Rob Petitti and Torrin Tucker at right tackle, with Petitti drawing the start.

—RB Julius Jones finished his rookie campaign second in the league among rookies with 819 rushing yards, while his 102.4 yard-per-game average ranked fifth in the NFL.

—TE Jason Witten earned his first Pro Bowl selection after finishing second among NFL tight ends with 87 catches for 980 yards - the best receiving year by a Cowboys tight end in club history.

GAME PLAN: The Cowboys and Chargers play similar styles because their coaches have similar philosophies. Cowboys coach Bill Parcells will try to establish the ground game on offense with Julius Jones. Because it will be hard to run on the Chargers defense, Drew Bledsoe must make a few plays in the passing game. Defensively, they have to contain running back LaDainian Tomlinson and force Drew Brees to beat them without his favorite target, tight end Antonio Gates.

MATCHUPS TO WATCH

Chargers NT Jamal Williams vs. Cowboys C Al Johnson. Williams is the key to the Chargers' strong run defense. He is tough to move out the middle. Johnson doesn't have the size to handle Williams all game. The Cowboys will rotate in Andre Gurode at center in hopes of getting movement against Williams.

Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson vs. Cowboys run defense. Tomlinson is simply the best running back in the league. He will be tough to stop for a Cowboys defense that is playing the 3-4 for the first time and is relying on a lot of rookies. Growing pains are expected by the Cowboys but they must not have too much trouble in the their run fits or they will get run over by Tomlinson.

INJURY IMPACT: None.
  11. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Thanks DallasEast.
  12. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks Dallas East.....at least history is on our side.