1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Inside Texas reported that Alabama head coach Nick Saban will be announced as Longhorns coach

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by RS12, Dec 6, 2013.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    It is always about finding the right guy.
    Who they replace or how it is handled is just noise.
    None of that matters on the field.

When Texas Tech hired Tubs it was just a bad hire. Tubs campaigned HEAVILY for that job then hated Lubbock, Texas. He hired a great recruiting coordinator, Prunty but was terrible as recruiter himself.

Kliff was the right guy for Tech. No idea how long it takes or if he wins big but he was the right guy.
    If UT gets their right guy a year from now no one will care what Mack Brown is doing.
  2. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

961 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Thanks Mack for all the great years, I wish he could have gone out on better terms. I'll always have a ton of respect for Coach Brown. He's up their with Akers and Royal.

Now, time to talk about who the next coach will be.

I don't really have a clue, but I'm going to throw this longshot out there. Don't be surprised if the next Texas coach still is from an Alabama school. You know, the one playing for a National Championship.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    That's really the bottom line. If they got a Gus Malzahn (no God no) or a Shaw or some other top coach like they should, I don't think Brown will be mourned the way he is right now by at least some people... Which I still don't understand, but whatever.
  4. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,207 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    I agree that Mack deserves a lot of respect. It was time to go though & I am guessing he will end up with some sort of position in the athletic dept.
  5. Fritsch_the_cat

961 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    I think the only reason he has a chance is because it is said he really wants the job.
  6. Fritsch_the_cat

961 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Yeah, I hope he does and he actually kinda talked like he would.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  7. BoysFan4ever

6,207 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    You know I heard that last season but then he came out & coached this year.

They'll set him up nicely & he deserves it.
  8. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,839 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Really? It's "common sense" that David Shaw and Mike Tomlin would be better candidates than Nick Saban, the greatest college coach of his generation? Really..?!?! LOLOLOLOLOL
  9. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,839 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    True dat. The homerism it great! It's absolutely hilarious that someone is claiming that it is "common sense" that David Shaw is a preferable candidate to Nick Saban.
  10. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    i don't think david shaw is preferable to nick saban, buts its not farfetched that some would prefer him because of his age and accomplishments at stanford. I would, however, say that at least personally, id rather have jim harbaugh coach UT than Saban, its not even close for me.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Yep, pretty much. Tomlin is 41 and Shaw is also 41. Why would you hire a coach that is the same age as the one you are firing?

Like I said, not are hard concept really.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Was reported that Pat Fitzgerald was on Campus Tuesday (Yesterday Dec 17th) to watch a Texas Practice.

That's interesting.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Pat Fitzgerald trip not an interview

Fitzgerald has scheduled similar visits to the Chicago Bears on Wednesday and Texas A&M Aggies next week, and said he is using this time to see how other staffs work.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-wildcats-visits-texas-longhorns-no-interview
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,382 Likes Received
    Oddly enough, I've heard Gruden's name pop up more than once now.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,831 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    only to homers. The age of someone being 10 years or so at a single school are all but gone. There will be a few but not many. So frankly the age of the coach is all but irrelevent.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Right, right, yeah....... Because you are some sort of expert on it right?

"There will be a few but not many."

That's exactly what I would say about a job like Texas. Texas is not and never has been interested in hiring guys who will only be there for a few years. That's just no how they opperate but I know. You will try to pass this off as some sort of Homer Speak.

Whatever makes you feel better.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  17. BoysFan4ever

6,207 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    I'm sure they'll find a top notch coach.

It's one of the best coaching jobs anywhere. I have no doubt it'll be a great hire.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,831 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    what is truly pathetic is that you consider yourself an expert
  19. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,950 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    Garrett will be available after this season. No doubt Red Ball will be on top of a very short list.
  20. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    UT job is very similar to the Dallas Cowboys job, huge brand, entitled fanbase, high expectations, mediocre product on the field despite great resources.

I really think not getting Saban was devastating, and everything now is plan B.