1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Facebook buys Instagram and now they start screwing off those policies too. :facepalm:

In its first big policy shift since Facebook bought the photo-sharing site, Instagram claims the right to sell users' photos without payment or notification. Oh, and there's no way to opt out.

Why in hell would anyone use any Facebook owned product / service?

====================================

Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos

Instagram said today that it has the perpetual right to sell users' photographs without payment or notification, a dramatic policy shift that quickly sparked a public outcry.

The new intellectual property policy, which takes effect on January 16, comes three months after Facebook completed its acquisition of the popular photo-sharing site. Unless Instagram users delete their accounts before the January deadline, they cannot opt out.

Under the new policy, Facebook claims the perpetual right to license all public Instagram photos to companies or any other organization, including for advertising purposes, which would effectively transform the Web site into the world's largest stock photo agency. One irked Twitter user quipped that "Instagram is now the new iStockPhoto, except they won't have to pay you anything to use your images."

Complete Story
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Hey, it's not theft if we tell you we're going to steal.

I don't use Facebook all that much. Maybe login 6 times per year, and most of that is to remove tags of me.

How do they even get away with stuff like this.

They just claim the right in their policies knowing nobody will read them and then stand on the agreement?

This is stealing, no two ways about it.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Simple...Don't use instagram when uploading photos.
  4. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Water mark a sex toy onto each of your photos. Yes, even your Christmas and vacation photos.

I bet they don't sell. :D

"Honey, is that a.....OMG!"
  5. cowboyblue31

cowboyblue31 Member

379 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Good idea!

:laugh2: :laugh2:
  6. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Might find them selling even more. :laugh1:
  7. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,400 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    So if someone takes a photo of Michael Jordan and uploads it to Instagram, they can take that photo and use Jordan's photo to sell their products?

How are they even suppose to know that the person who uploaded the photo owns the rights to it in the first place?
  8. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    There is so much wrong w/ this announcement.

They are calling this "Instagram's Suicide Note" Remember Yahoo tried to do this a long while back. That is until the backlash splashed across their faces. They backed off after about a week of very bad publicity. I expect FB/Instagram to do the same thing once they see that stock ticking down.
  9. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    By banking on the laziness of others.
    This could be overturned if anyone cared to fight it, but chances are pictures of pookie and snuggles aren't really worth the legal costs.
  10. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    This is Facebook. They will back off, then quietly implement it again a little while later. If that fails too, rinse and repeat until people just roll their eyes and stop complaining.
  11. cowboyblue31

cowboyblue31 Member

379 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Or the pictures of their food! I have no idea why a lot of my friends think they have to post pics every meal they eat.

I've been to a steak house, I know what a damn steak looks like!

:p:
  12. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    99% of Faceboook photos are dark grainy garbage taken with someone's phone.
    Big jackpot for Instagram! :laugh2:

Seriously, I understand the photographers and artists's concerns and they can fight it and more than likely would win. It'll take one lawsuit as precedent.
  13. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    This is not a steak. It's a Taco. :p:

[IMG]
  14. cowboyblue31

cowboyblue31 Member

379 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I don't know what you're taco-ing about, but that looks good!

:cool:
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    I like Tacos.
  16. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I am guilty of posting meal pictures. I def do it to much when we are out eating Sushi.

I just like sharing the vast amounts of sushi ambrosia I come across in all areas of the country.
  17. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Just don't complain when Instagram sells it to Dining Out magazine and you miss out on all those royalties! :laugh1:
  18. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    This week in Salmon patties and moose flank magazine...:laugh1:
  19. Warick

Warick Member

705 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I rarely post pictures I take online anymore, especially on facebook (I don't use instagram), and when I do, I reduce the size, and compress them to the point that they are pretty much useless for any commercial use. I used to watermark my images, but those can be removed.

Pictures that I really value don't get posted at all, other than to have them printed.
  20. cowboyblue31

cowboyblue31 Member

379 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Just as soon as I complain about this, my wife post a picture of her great lunch today...:eek::