1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Interesting Blog Piece about the Georgian conflict (well worth the read)

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Vintage, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,297 Messages
    1,042 Likes Received
  2. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good read. Unfortunately, nothing I hadn't known already. As a child, by the way...reading about Germany's meddling in the Sudetenland in an attempt to stir up ethnic tensions as a pretext for annexation of a portion of a neighboring nation. Six months later, all of Czechoslovakia was consumed. History may not repeat exactly, but it does rhyme.
  3. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As a summary, for those whose eyes glaze over having to read long accounts of war in far away countries, here you go:

The article is essentially a summation of accounts showing that Russia and South Ossetia actually started the war on Aug 5 and Aug 6, not the Georgians on Aug 7th as has so far been the conventional wisdom. On the 6th (prior to Georgian forces moving in), Russian jets bombed Georgian villages in S Ossetia. Russian armor was also emerging from the tunnel connecting N and S Ossetia (read: moving into Georgia) prior to Georgia moving in. So...the mask is off the beast (not that I'm surprised), and it certainly appears the whole affair was premeditated by Russia (duh). The claims of "genocide" and "ethnic cleansing" and "defending Russian citizens", even according to human rights organizations who were there, is simply a farce put forth by Russian propaganda as justification for the invasion. Even the claims that the Georgians started the fighting is coming unraveled.
  4. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just curious, Vintage - where did you/how did you find this? I've not seen such an indepth analysis of the events leading up to this, just bits and pieces here and there that, once assembled, match the story you linked exactly. And I hope this gets out pretty quick, and not just locked away in the dark confines of rarely-traveled caves of the internet.
  5. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,297 Messages
    1,042 Likes Received
    Actually, I found it on another message board I am a member of... someone provided the link, I read it..... thought it was interesting, so I posted it here.

I didn't know a lot of the back history; I just knew some of the more basic stuff. And while I suspect we weren't getting the full picture... this seems to show it (if its accurate) in that S Ossetia actually started it. Compared to the media protrayal....
  6. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, I think Russia started it. First, they handed out passports like candy in S Ossetia and Abkazia....Russian jets were seen bombing on the 6th....Russian armor moving through the tunnel in the mountains into Georgia on the 6th.....Georgia didn't move into the region until the 7th. And, Ossetians would not have been so brash if not having a prior "deal" with the Russians...seems to me nothing more than a coordinated operation. Again, Sudetenland all over again....
  7. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,297 Messages
    1,042 Likes Received
    I agree. I knew of the passport thing; but didn't know the Ossetians actually opened fire on the 6th.

And I agree; South Ossetia doesn't do something like this without the backing of Russia; or they'd have gotten run under.