1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting Draft Trade Talk on Sirius NFL Radio (C. Johnson)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CoachHodnett, Apr 8, 2008.

1. CoachHodnett

CoachHodnett Play-calling is an Art

390 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    They interviewed Malcom Kelly and he revealed that the Bengals were sending a few scouts and coaches to his workout tomorrow and then immediately flying him back to Cinci for an official visit.

Carl Banks and Bob Popa started talking about scenarios that would allow the Bengals to select Kelly, even at #9 and with their Defensive woes.

Popa said that the most likely scenario would be for the Bengals to select Kelly at 9, then pull of a trade with Dallas that would send Chad Johnson to the Cowboys for the #28 pick. The Bengals could then go DB or DL.

Granted this is all hypothetical, but this is a realistic scenario. I would even throw in a Carpenter or Ayodele.
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    You'd really give #28 and a player for that headcase?
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    if we're going to spend a 1st on a vet WR, i'd like one not competing with TO and Glenn for old-man references.
  4. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,013 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    I'd rather have him than Pacman, he doesn't get in trouble off the field, he's not injury prone, he talks alot and biches when he doesn't get the ball.... He's a star WR thats what they do.
  5. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,964 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    Exactly right --and don't forget to add he is a total head case
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    Quick, get this news to Detroit.

:grin:
  7. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,104 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    The Bengals are looking at him for their 2nd round pick.
  8. justbob

6,964 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    Will he still be there ? honest question -not being my normal self
  9. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,104 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    It's more likely than him being taken at 9. Honestly, it's hard to gauge the stupidity of NFL GMs, though. Look at where Ginn was taken.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    The only issue I would really have is Johnson's age. I'd rather have one of the younger WRs available but Chad is a very good WR. There is no doubt.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    I'd much rather have Pacman who is cheaper, younger and will cost less in trade.

I can see us doing 28 for Ocho Cinco though if Roy Williams is not a possibility.

Jerry is serious about that 2nd WR threat.
  12. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I see what you did there. :lmao2:
  13. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    There is no end to what some people would give up for some players. People love names, big names.

Demarcus ware and jason witten for chad johnson ..sure...we would be unstoppable with those wr.

sounds good to me. Trading anything for that guy is a crucial mistake.
  14. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,239 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
    Chad Johnson may have a bit of a diva complex, but he's not a criminal nor has he been engaged in any criminal activity. Plus he's not just a name on the field, he's actually had big time production on the field.

That's the difference when considering going after him or going after a Pacman.

Like ABQ said, I'd rather they go after one of the other vet WRs being mentioned, but C. Johnson is a talent.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Eggactly. Seems we always have old WR's the last few years.
  16. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd much rather get RWilliams.

Believe CJ will be a lot of trouble unless he adjusts to reality with the Cowboys & just does his job to the very best he can.
  17. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    Makes me think that Jerry Jones has thrown this option out there to the 3 clubs with veteran receivers who may may or may not be available.

"The Cowboys are looking for a veteran wideout and we're willing to offer our #28 overall draft pick. First come, first served."
  18. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,453 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    This is a few days old by now, but I'd recommend that the Max Kellerman Podcast from 4/3 be listened to by anyone who can. It's a pretty in depth interview with Chad.

I'm on record for wanting a vet WR and would much prefer RoyW or Boldin, but after listening to the podcast, I'm not as against the idea of Chad as I was...especially if we can use a 2nd and a player.

Tiny excerpt from the podcast (paraphrased):

Kellerman: If there was one player from any team you would want brought to the Bengal to improve them, who would it be?

Chad: One? Terrell Owens. Two? I'd think Shawn Rogers, but we missed on that one.

The interview is just chock full of opportunities to "read into" things.;)
  19. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,950 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received

Chad is a mere 30. That isn't old, by any stretch, specially given the great condition he keeps himself in. he could EASILY play another 5 years or so.

I'd give up #28 and either one of those guys, in a second, for Chad Johnson. Without a doubt.

But it's not going to happen. I'll be thrilled if it does...but I don't see it happening.
  20. justbob

6,964 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    Its not that he is a mere 30 --its the fact that all of them are ---plus aren't his knees a little messed up