1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting Lacewell quote on Ratliff

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,517 Messages
    2,051 Likes Received
    No kidding. He's already been a solid contributor. He's already been way better than almost anyone could have expected. I'm betting the people who don't like him didn't like the draft pick when we made it.
  2. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,610 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Two excellent corners?
    randy932 and Common Sense like this.
  3. mitchell2254

mitchell2254 Active Member

728 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    Old age and Jerry not making players train with the team.. it was almost to be expected. While Ware isn't that old he has a lot of miles. We need a complete overhaul on the D-Line. Marinelli is making the most of what he has but they haven't been making many plays lately, every coach needs SOME talent.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,056 Messages
    3,973 Likes Received
    Some level of injuries was expected. But Crawford and Bass are young players, too. And having two of the vets never even play a snap was beyond what we should have anticipated. Especially with Spencer only, what, 30?

Next year was obviously the year they'd prepared to start rotating over the DL, but the wheels fell off a year early in a big, big way. We should have maybe expected a couple flat tires. Maybe having to replace one altogether. But not six at the mid-season mark.
  5. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,139 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    Please don't misunderstand my criticisms as being down on him, in fact, I'm still pleasantly surprised by how much he has contributed this year and I am optimistic about his future.

Sorry if that came out wrong.
  6. mitchell2254

mitchell2254 Active Member

728 Messages
    200 Likes Received

True, hopefully the likes of Ratliff didn't rub off on them and this situation taught Jerry a lesson. Very wishful thinking I know
  7. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received

Again, Monte. If you feel that gives you some justification to hate...I feel bad for you. There was a lot of controversy surrounding time management of that game...and JG took responsibility. It was assumed he was going to call a time out. Should Ogletree and Austin assumed a time-and not hustled back? No! But is that one mistake a reason to forever hate a player? Wow...I would hope not.
  8. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Why does lace well keep saying we?

This loser needs to go away. Parcells dismissed you 10 years ago. Too bad he didn't stay that way.
    Common Sense likes this.
  9. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,508 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    That's on Jerry.

As long as he keeps calling Lacewell, he will keep talking, giving his useless advice.
    Common Sense likes this.
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    They are going to call up mike Zimmer in a few weeks. He will be the next head coach here in about two months.

This article confirms it was lace well that got Jerry to switch to the 4-3 and hire grandpa Kiffin.

It's completely asinine this is how this organization operates. A guys go has nothing to do with the organization is the swing vote on which defense we play and essentially he hires the coach.
    silver and Common Sense like this.
  11. bleedin' blue

bleedin' blue Active Member

257 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Great article...
  12. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

687 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I did enjoy this article, I understand the theory back in the last off-season leading up to and including the draft. (About the no-need for Dlinemen). This just shows how flawed that idea was, as in no depth behind the projected starters apart from Crawford. And yes, the only player I would really hold onto for next year is Selvie, of the street free agents.
    Being out in the Islands, I don't hear or see all the goings on that most in the Dallas area do - so I have a question for this off season. That maybe some of you guys can help with. We will stay with the 4-3, will all the coach's be the same ? Yet to be determined, so, we need to restock the Dline. And not just a top draft pick or two, but depth as well. Which gets me to my question - can someone tell me what the hell happened with Marvin Austin ? Apart from the back injury, why not IR him, I would think he would have been perfect as a rotational player for us. Was there more to the story than just a bad back, cause I haven't seen or heard anything. I keep hopeing that he will be bought in and given a futures contract at years end, so he can get with Marrinelli, get his weight down and train. He would be ideal to put in as a low cost rotational player - not starter. If he could get a solid off-season in. Or, am I missing something ???
    Common Sense likes this.
  13. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,439 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    It seems like no one in the media bothered to ask about Austin, or maybe they did and decided it was a non-story. Was he just waived/injured because it was a better alternative to IR, or did he rub the coaching staff the wrong way in what little time he spent here?
  14. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received

THANK YOU !
  15. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received

THANK YOU!
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,233 Messages
    1,324 Likes Received
    I did not take it that way but I understand what you are saying. My main contention was that it is foolish to look at Austin and believe that we are better without him then we are with him at this point in the teams development. His salary is basically neutral. I'm really hoping that his presence opens up the offense, going forward.

I feel like Tony has kind of gone away from Williams a little bit and that's making our Offense more predictable.
  17. mmohican29

mmohican29 Well-Known Member

2,252 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    I was at this ballgame. And yes that effort back to the line was poor. But any idiot that knows anything about football should have known to call a TO right then and there and worry about gaining yards on the next play followed by a hurry up and down situation.

Garrett (and to a shared degree the officiating in that ballgame) lost the game. Again.
  18. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,725 Messages
    1,071 Likes Received
    Miles isn't a traitor but he sure as hell can't be counted on. His contract really hurt us too.
  19. ilykdrama

ilykdrama Active Member

262 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    ABSOLUTELY remember this.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,233 Messages
    1,324 Likes Received
    I agree with this. His contract did hurt us but because so much of it was front loaded, it's kind of a done deal. Going forward, we really need him.