1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting Newsweek poll regarding 2012

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Heisenberg, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,926 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/165570

If John McCain is not elected president, which one of the following three possible candidates would you be most likely to support for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012?
    Mitt Romney 35%
    Mike Huckabee 26%
    Sarah Palin 20%

So, Mitt again?
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,926 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    No support for Mittens?

[IMG]

Actually, I'm just bored and wanted to post a picture of mittens.
  3. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,833 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Seems logical, he was basically the "Hillary" of the Republican party.

He was the runner up, it just didnt get covered very much since the Repubs are winner take all delegates and the winner is picked very early that way.

Mitt Romney Vs. Barack Obama 2nd term............choices in 2012

It depends on how Obama's 1st term goes, if the economy rebounds then he will probably get a 2nd term, if it goes totally in the crapper then he will be a one-termer like Bush Sr.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,952 Messages
    4,300 Likes Received
    I would take him over Palin in a heartbeat as I think she is a disaster in waiting.

However I think I would prefer Huckabee over him even though Huckabee has his warts concerning flip flopping on some conservative issues in his career and I would hope he would simmer down some of his other beliefs as far as it effecting his political judgments. I happen to like Huckabee and think he is a good character guy, probably more than any other that was at the republican primaries except for Ron Paul.

I think many chose Mitt because his strong suit was economic issues and we are currently in an economic crisis so that probably plays heavily into their choices. I have also mentioned before that I wonder if this race would be closer, or maybe have McCain in the lead, if Romney was his running mate and the economic issues would be Mitts strong suit now. I would imagine their campaign strategy might be very different right now if he was the vp candidate.
  5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    All that will change in 4 years
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,677 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Brain I really think you are blind about Palin/ but then again you seem prone to decide on someone and then not change.
  7. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think Gingrich will be a factor as well.

Romney will be popular if the economy is still in trouble.
  8. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hate to say it, but I think in 4 years, Palin will be ready to pounce if an Obama administration proves to be a disaster. Could we be witnessing 1976 all over again, where Reagan was waiting in the wings for the Nixon storm to be over and that it was better to let the Dems inherit a bad economy destined to get worse? It feels a lot like that,
  9. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    She'll have four years to work on substance and gravitas and her grasp on all the issues.

If she can't master those things in that time, then she doesn't deserve to run.

I have confidence that she'll handle the task admirably, but we'll see.
  10. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As I eluded to in the other thread, IMO she'd be better off staying as a Washington outsider, let Obama and the Dems inherit the economic and geopolitical mess, and distance herself from the McCain/moderate faction of the Republican party.
  11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,489 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Palin pounce? Sorry, but that tiger of the north has proven to be a *****cat. She better bring her A game next time.

Personally, I don't think there will be a next time for her or any of the other usual suspects. I think that some other person will arise 8 years from now who will take the party in a different direction that appeals to sophisticated urbanites as well as dimwitted, reactionary joe sixpacks.

Don't know who that person might be, though.
  12. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,785 Messages
    812 Likes Received
    Palin has no shot in 2012. She will be a political afterthought.
  13. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Based on what factors do you arrive at this declaration?

If she decides that she wants to run, she will be a fundraising powerhouse. In the primaries, early money is very important, and she should be able to raise it by the truckload.

She is very popular with the base of the party, and they are the ones who have a lot of say as to who the nominee will be.

This year, there was no viable candidate who was popular with the base, and that's how we got into the situation we're in now, with such a poor nominee.

But Palin will be able to raise the money, she'll do very well in many of the early states... she should particularly excel in Iowa.

Now she may not be interested and may just go back do Alaska and do her thing and fade into the wilderness. But somehow I think she has bigger plans... and if she wants it, she'll be hard to beat.
  14. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,833 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    I agree, the hardcore conservatives (like Limbaugh and Hannity) absolutely love Palin and really cant stand McCain very much, everybody knows that Limbaugh wanted Romney (of course that was before Palin showed up).

I think Romney is the frontrunner right now due to the damged reputation that Palin has. If she can rehabilitate herself over the next 4 years and if things go badly for Obama in his first term, then she could defiently win the nomination in 2012.

You do make a very good point my friend about letting Obama and the Dems take over this economic mess.

With Obama in the Presidency, Reid as Senate Majority Leader, and Polisi as Speaker of the House, the Dems will not have any Republicans to blame since they will control everything.

That is the bad thing about controlling everything, you get all the credit but you also get all the blame if things dont work out too well.

Now McCain is not letting Obama win here, McCain has conducted one of the most incompetent campaigns of all time and basically gave himself no chance to win. I am just saying that there might be a silver lining here for Palin in 2012.
  15. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :pray:

Gingrich/Palin!!!!!
  16. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be suprised if the nominee in 2012 is someone not on public radar at the moment.

Also, as long as Sarah Palin doesn't have any major hiccups between now and 2012, she will definately be a frontrunner in 2012.

Also, if Mike Huckabee is able to get the nomination, depending upon how it goes with the Obama Administration, I could see myself voting for him.
  17. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Palin may have advantages within the Republican Party, but Huckabee would be a tougher candidate in a general election. He's brighter, more media savvy, more likeable, and less divisive than Palin. Of the two far right candidates, Huckabee is the most disarming ... and therefore would have the better chance with moderates and independents.

And that's the classic struggle (for both parties), isn't it? The candidate who plays best to the base may not be the candidate who plays best in the general election.