1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting playoff rushing stat

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by coult44, Jan 11, 2014.

1. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    695 Likes Received
    I started looking at how much the teams in the playoffs are running the ball, especially the winning teams. Starting with last weeks games here they are.

Saints - Eagles - 36 for 185
    Chargers - Bengals - 40 for 196
    49ers - Packers - 30 for 167
    Colts - Chiefs -19 for 120

Seahawks-Saints -35 for 174
    Patriots-Colts -46 for 234

That's an average of 34 carries per game for 179 yards per game. Some coaches get it, others don't....I will never understand why Jason Garret abandoned the run so much this year. Especially when we had one of the best RB's in the league, and our OL was doing a very good job at run blocking. It would have taken so much pressure off of Romo, and could have been huge in help with managing the clock.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,635 Messages
    4,507 Likes Received
    Horse, meet cart. Yes, horse. It's that thing right in front of you.

How many times we gotta get this argument backwards before we see it coming?
    Cowboy06 and chagus like this.
  3. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Most if not all do it with more than one RB. We don't have more than one RB that is capable of producing.
    nake likes this.
  4. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,584 Messages
    990 Likes Received
    That's because we aren't committed to the running game.
    tantrix1969, Nunez21 and Bleu Star like this.
  5. Idgit

28,635 Messages
    4,507 Likes Received
    And that's because it doesn't make you win.

Our offense is productive.
  6. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,066 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    I think the point is we don't have the running backs to commit to the run. We need another back who can average 4 yards a carry. Randle averages 3 and Tanner averages less than that.

I should add that most of the teams we are watching run the ball effectively in the playoffs have several backs they alternate.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,117 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    What does make you win?
    morasp likes this.
  8. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

627 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    There is more to an offense than just scoring points. Using up the clock and controlling the game (and keeping the defense off the field) like the Pats did tonight is a prime example.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,719 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    Passing the ball like we've been doing... oh wait, that's not making us win either.
    ak47kaehu, Smith22, physeter and 4 others like this.
  10. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,066 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    I think many would say it is being able to impose your will on the other team, both on offense and defense, and it starts with dominance in the trenches. Now, if someone could just convince our owner of that, we might get out of this rut we are in and get back to the playoffs.

Jerry seems to be headed in the right direction. He went out and got Marinelli, but he forgot to get him some players.:)
  11. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasin Zone Supporter

3,188 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    But are they consistent in a game by game sense in terms of adapting to the situation (D), etc.?
  12. whynot

whynot Active Member

114 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    He had plenty of players. Then they all broke...
  13. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    695 Likes Received
    You can keep believing that if you want to. I've never seen someone defend every single thing that the team does wrong. It's pointless. I bet I couldn't convince you that the Cowboys have been 8-8 for 3 years in a row. I bet I couldn't convince you that our vaunted passing attack and "productive" offense hasn't won us anything in a very long time!!!
    dreghorn2 and stasheroo like this.
  14. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,462 Messages
    1,428 Likes Received
    Our offense is good enough to win quite a few games as long as we have a good defense. I can't stand our offensive scheme and it does need changed, but it is good enough to compete.

Run the ball more, less shot-gun and utilize all of our weapons, we can compete in that department.

We need a competent defense...........................
    Boyzmamacita and coult44 like this.
  15. Nunez21

Nunez21 Active Member

244 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    saw the winning teams run, run, run, run, play action... boom 40 yard pass
    stasheroo and coult44 like this.
  16. Rainy

Rainy Member

37 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    In the Seahawks vs. Saints game today:

Seahawks backed up on their own 20 yard line or so
    3rd down and 9
    They still RUN the ball

Anybody wanna take a guess at what Dallas does in that situation
    visionary and stasheroo like this.
  17. Idgit

28,635 Messages
    4,507 Likes Received
    You got it half right, anyway. You gotta stop the other guys' passing, too. Hence the losing.
    Vintage and theogt like this.
  18. Screw The Hall

Screw The Hall Well-Known Member

2,057 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    It boils down to coaching. It's not run the ball more or keep passing it that is necessarily the question. It's having some feel for that game's individual dynamic for Christ's sake and knowing instinctively when to do them.

Garrett has had an awful time with this but that Green Bay game was the last straw for me. I mean it's ok to have an off day coaching once in awhile, it happens. But it's not ok to appear to have no idea what the hell is going on as far as playcalling goes like he did that game ... ever. It just can't happen. It's was a total and complete disregard to situational football that we witnessed there and it's 100% inexcusable for it to occur even one time. It was the coaching equivalent to embezzling from the company for me. You can never take that one back.

In fact if I were an owner or GM and I was close to hiring JG to be my next head coach all you would have to do to change my mind is show me that Packer game. It was catastrophic stuff to put on a resume' I can tell you that.
  19. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,605 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    We've been in the show for the past three years. We're definitely doing something right !!!
  20. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Per John Madden its scoring more points than the other team but I'm skeptical.
    Idgit and Vintage like this.