1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting playoff rushing stat

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by coult44, Jan 11, 2014.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,704 Messages
    1,508 Likes Received
    I completely agree with you. Once again, an individual's wants and needs come at the detriment of the franchise.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,871 Messages
    1,759 Likes Received
    It's not just about running - it's about running and controlling the clock to keep your defense OFF the field .
  3. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    He can't pass if he doesn't have the ball.
  4. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,699 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    I see what you're saying, but you're talking about an additional 2 drives out 73. Even with that, they're average scoring drive was 56 yards, which was tied for 15th. We were 7th in number of scoring drives. So we may have had a couple more that started closer than other, but we also scored on a lot of drives that were farther away. Half the teams that scored more times than we did had a shorter drive average. Yes, the offense was getting help from the defense and our special teams, but they were also doing a lot themselves.
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,458 Messages
    2,067 Likes Received
    good luck getting that one answered
    the story changes depending on the post

it is not the GM
    it is not the HC
    it is not the cor-ordinators
    it is not the running game

brady throws for less than 200 and 0 TDs, the pats run for 300 and 5TDs

BUT the "running game has no correlation with winning"
  6. visionary

7,458 Messages
    2,067 Likes Received

any time we are 3rd and 5 or more, you know we are passing
  7. Tawney88

Tawney88 Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    If you don't like the topic, ignore it.

Personally I agree with the OPfrom the standpoint we quit running the ball at absolutely the wrong time on several occasions. It made no sense. I disagree when he says we have one of the best backs in the NFL. I'm not so sure Murray is anything special. That being said he and the line did their job when asked. The issue was the morons calling the plays don't have a clue how to manage a game.
    stasheroo likes this.
  8. visionary

7,458 Messages
    2,067 Likes Received
    cant reason with Garrett groupies

8-8
    8-8
    8-8

BUT "the arrow is pointed upward"

only in la-la-land is the arrow pointed upward even though you are flat lining
  9. Tawney88

Tawney88 Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    in your mind it's all on the defense right? It doesn't matter if we had stay committed to the run in the Packers game we would have won. It was that dang defense.
  10. visionary

7,458 Messages
    2,067 Likes Received
    sounds like a "productive offense" does not have any correlation with winning because we are 8-8 despite a productive offense
  11. visionary

7,458 Messages
    2,067 Likes Received

"it" is whatever will absolve jerry and jason garrett off blame

whatever they dont have control over is "it"

wait, they have control over the entire roster and team

OK, then lets blame the injuries
  12. foofighters

foofighters Active Member

230 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    You're assuming that our offense will be consistent and productive. Our offense is very potent at times but it's not consistent at all and nothing I would count on. You have to take that also into consideration when game planning. You have to plan for what are well established patterns not isolated incidences.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,485 Messages
    6,197 Likes Received
    You mean, in a situation where we haven't scored because we were "controlling" things? No thanks. Give me the points and then let's see if we can stop them.
  14. Idgit

30,485 Messages
    6,197 Likes Received
    If I don't like the topic, I'll explain why, thanks.

How do you reconcile the productivity of the offense's points per drive this season with your opinion that there are morons without clues calling the plays? Or do you bother to? And how do you then view the performance of a defense that's been historically bad in some key areas that help you win football games?

We were 8-8, after all. It's not the case that everything was awful, all the time. No matter how it's characterized here during playoff game weekends when our fans rouse themselves up enough to throw themselves off emotional cliffs.
  15. Idgit

30,485 Messages
    6,197 Likes Received
    We were playing them pretty well until the two backup middle linebackers went out, yeah. I think that had a lot more to do with our decision to try to keep scoring than our coach not knowing how to run the ball to put a game away.

That said, we blew an opportunity in the next last series to run time off the clock. No doubt about it, that was a mistake on offense.

The two late picks were bigger problems, and that's what I mean by 'effective passing.'
  16. Idgit

30,485 Messages
    6,197 Likes Received
    We're consistent enough in terms of points per series. Again, it's our absolutely porous pass defense that usually puts us in positions where we take chances and get beat. We'd see a lot more running and controlled passing if we were playing more often with comfortable leads.
  17. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Is that you Mickey?

Why would controlling the clock preclude scoring?
  18. foofighters

foofighters Active Member

230 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    And this is the problem. it seems like JG is ok with this. As long as he has a scapegoat, he's good. Why would we adjust our offensive theory to fit what the current state of the team is? Let's just keep things as is...this is the problem with the entire franchise and some of the fanbase has adopted this excuse as well.

We already know our D is horrible so why wouldn't we want to keep them off the field as much as possible? Instead, we're just happy using them as an excuse as to why we lose.
  19. Idgit

30,485 Messages
    6,197 Likes Received
    It doesn't preclude it, but it necessarily means you're shying away from the types of plays that actually win games.

Aggressive offenses want to score fast, and score quickly. That's what I want to see. I don't care about balance and only want to run the ball to get into high probability passing situations and to put games away.

Games are won on big plays these days and by staying out of third down situations when you can. That's primarily done by passing the ball and not turning it over.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,595 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    when you have what was considered a contender for all time worst NFL Defense the only smart thing to do is to try and keep it off the field as much as possible.
    Tawney88 and stasheroo like this.