1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting read on Tryann Mathieu as FS

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Bigdog24, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,808 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    Got this write up at profootballdraftnetwork, think it could be a possible answer at the Safety position. 3rd round pick could be worth the gamble.

http://www.profootballdraftnetwork....e-intriguing-picks-in-the-2013-nfl-draft.html

Tyrann Mathieu will be a much-discussed prospect for a number of NFL teams. His failed drug tests due to marijuana use ended his playing days at LSU in August of 2012. Mathieu’s subsequent October, 2012 arrest for marijuana possession reveals the depth of his problem. The former LSU All-American’s off the field troubles will cause his draft stock to slide. He will have to be in outstanding physical condition at the NFL Scouting Combine and interview surprisingly well to convince a team to spend a 3rd round pick on him.

As a football player, Mathieu could provide an NFL team with a playmaker in the secondary. The 2011 Bednarik Award winner is undersized (5’9” and 175 lbs) for an NFL cornerback, but he plays big for his size. The “Honey Badger” earned his nickname with his fearless play, competitiveness and ability to generate turnovers. In fact, Mathieu may make a better free safety than slot cornerback in the NFL.

The best part of Mathieu’s game is his uncanny instincts. The 2011 Heisman Trophy candidate finds the football and makes plays. He is like a small version of Troy Polamalu with the way he can make tackles for loss, blitz, cause fumbles, break up passes and make interceptions. An NFL team may not make the best use of Mathieu’s ability if they view him strictly as a cornerback. His small size will make him more vulnerable to being overpowered against bigger and stronger pro receivers. He does not have textbook technique as a cornerback.

Mathieu at free safety would be able to use his terrific football instincts to fly all over the field and be disruptive. His quick and strong hands are skilled at dislodging the football. There have been some small free safeties that enjoyed success in the NFL. Thomas Everett (5’ 9” and 185 lbs) and Jim Leonhard (5’ 8” and 185 lbs) are just a couple of examples. Mathieu is an aggressive player who is not shy about coming up and making a tackle. His quick feet and elusiveness also make him a dangerous punt returner.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,226 Messages
    3,047 Likes Received
    If you want a 5-9 Safety, you should check out Shamarko Thomas (5-9, 217, est 4.39 forty).

He is #21 here:
    [youtubehd]0cReVg_PmrU[/youtubehd]
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,117 Messages
    1,977 Likes Received
    I would sacrifice size for pass coverage ability.

Seems the Cowboys have valued size first.
  4. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,196 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Kid plays like he is a 6'4" 250 lbs linebacker in a safety body. Impressive with his closing speed.
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    There's not way he'd even come close to playing a full season as an every down safety in the NFL. Just way too much contact for a guy that small.
  6. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,302 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    these two would get abused in the nfl. 5'9 covering taller Wrs Tes and RBs? hahahaha
  7. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....this is a GOOD post LM....no way on EARTH is da honey badger an NFL corner IMO...not even close. I'd bring him in as a free agent basis ONLY to see if he could help ease the load on Harris for special teams: that's it

........btw: IF he gets drafted it'll be in 6th-7th for the reasons stated above plus he's a bonafide IDIOT...a real dolt
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,226 Messages
    3,047 Likes Received
    I'm not advocating taking a 5-9 safety per se; however, I would take Shamarko Thomas all-day over Honey Badger.
  9. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

926 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I agree with both Dez and the honey badger on the team you would be going out of your mind all off season as to what drama they could involved themselves. Although the media would love the stories the team would be sorry in the long run.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,940 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    Agreed. It's the natural progression with teams shifting to the passing game so much.

I like to look at college CBs for pro S prospects. The in the box type of S does nothing for me anymore. The game has moved away from that right now.
  11. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,136 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    No way we draft the badger
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,869 Messages
    862 Likes Received
    i'd have no issue bringing in this player in round 5 or later but no way you can go for him earlier.

he doesn't have a true position fit in the NFL and has drug and personal issues to deal with.

i agree safety may make sense for him but he'd absolutely have to bulk up to play the run. no way you can take on RBs consistently at 175 pounds.

imho this is a nickel player who could fit in packages and really help you on special teams.

might actually be a solid zone corner in a tampa 2. but again there is real risk to go with any reward. he didnt seem to learn much at all from being kicked out of lsu. he wasnt smart/dedicated enough to go elsewhere and play and prove he could stay clean like janoris jenkins did. instead he stuck around with the same crew of weed-head friends.