1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting thoughts from Billick on Poe, Brockers and others

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by egn22, Apr 19, 2012.

1. egn22

egn22 Active Member

839 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Poe leads strong class of DTs

So come the 2006 draft, even with much more obvious needs on the offensive side of the ball, we knew we had to protect our leader in Ray Lewis. Since selecting Ngata, Lewis has never finished a season with fewer than 96 tackles.

Interestingly enough, there is a player in this year’s draft that is drawing comparisons to Ngata: Memphis’ Dontari Poe. While I see the physical and athletic comparisons between the two, I struggle to find a likeness in output.
    Like Ngata, Poe is a physical specimen and his performance at the NFL Scouting Combine was downright freakish. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds while weighing in at 346 pounds. He also put up 225 pounds 44 times in the bench press, good for the most of any position. But to me that is where the comparisons stop.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Dontari-Poe-Fletcher-Cox-NFL-Draft-defensive-tackles-040412
  2. DEZBRYANT x88x

DEZBRYANT x88x Caps8Cowboys41

2,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im not falling for the hype on Poe. I dont see it.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,483 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Given what he said about the individual players, if DT is the deepest position in the draft, it doesn't say much about the overall talent coming out this year.
  4. egn22

egn22 Active Member

839 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    thats what i thought. seemed like there isn't a great chance that we'll find a difference maker at the DT position.
  5. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,699 Messages
    1,388 Likes Received
    As far as DT go, I go 1. Cox, 2. Brockers, 3. Still, 4. Poe, 5. Worthy as of right now...Cox, to me, may be the only one that is worth the #14 pick...a trade-down would put the others in play, IMO...
  6. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,930 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    I think this is a great class of DT's...problem is many are viewed as 3-4 ends:

Cox, Still, Worthy, Thompson (viewed as NT), Brockers and Poe are all first round talents who ten years ago probably would be first round picks as DT's.